No announcement yet.

Austin Class # 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey thanks, I was worried that I missed it. So they will be taking apps in the spring sometime? I am coming from Iowa, but I have some family in Austin, plus I was born in Texas, so I want to get back. Is there anything that I should know about the department and/or testing process that would help me? Thanks for the info and letting me know that I didn't miss the app period.

Mack

Comment

This waiting is tough...

Hey everyone. I got on the eligibility list and I'm waiting for a decision on the second class size. If they go with 40, I'm definitely in, if 30, then I'll have to get lucky and see a few ahead of me decline the position. Of course, I'm playing it like I'm going to get in, studying, lifting, running, etc., but I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea to get in on the next application process if it comes before the second class starts. Any opinions?

Wanted to also say congratulations to everyone in the first class, and congrats and good luck to those high on the waiting list for the second. I'm pulling for all of us...

Comment

Sorry guys, I haven't been around on here in awhile. Class is going great! We're gettin down to the last bit, which is always the fun bit! We have 2 short back to back weeks, secondary to the holidays and then we'll be in January... which is all live fire, extrication, rope rescue, and Saving Our Own. That should all fly by... gotta say, we're all pretty excited about gettin' out into the field.

We're down to 76 cadets in the academy now. A very good group of guys/gals and like I've said before, this is some of the best training I've ever received... even if you're already certified you will learn alot of new stuff that you can actually use... it's not just fluff. I will say this to all the people who will be getting into the next academy: Aside from pre-reading books and working out, you need to prep your mind for this thing. Most importantly, your attitude. AFD won't let slugs limp through the academy... they hire, train, and KEEP great firefighters... nothing less will be accepted. So, when you get there, move/work/act/& talk with a purpose. If you get on the dark side of the radar screen you won't easily get off... I've seen it first hand.

Good luck to all of you and if you have any questions post em... I'll start checking this thing nightly.

Comment

I heard 1 guy was fired a while back for knot tying, 1 left for a medical condition, 1 deployed to Iraq, what did the last guy get fired for?

Comment

Unsure of the reason why he was let go... sorry.

Comment

Hey, wondering what time training/classes start everyday in the academy. Does it vary a lot, or is it a pretty standard 8-5 deal most days? Also, what kind of gear/footwear are you required to have during or before training starts? Any recommendations on where to get this stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by HonorTheFallen View Post
                Sorry guys, I haven't been around on here in awhile. Class is going great! We're gettin down to the last bit, which is always the fun bit! We have 2 short back to back weeks, secondary to the holidays and then we'll be in January... which is all live fire, extrication, rope rescue, and Saving Our Own. That should all fly by... gotta say, we're all pretty excited about gettin' out into the field.

We're down to 76 cadets in the academy now. A very good group of guys/gals and like I've said before, this is some of the best training I've ever received... even if you're already certified you will learn alot of new stuff that you can actually use... it's not just fluff. I will say this to all the people who will be getting into the next academy: Aside from pre-reading books and working out, you need to prep your mind for this thing. Most importantly, your attitude. AFD won't let slugs limp through the academy... they hire, train, and KEEP great firefighters... nothing less will be accepted. So, when you get there, move/work/act/& talk with a purpose. If you get on the dark side of the radar screen you won't easily get off... I've seen it first hand.

Good luck to all of you and if you have any questions post em... I'll start checking this thing nightly.
                That puts me a bit closer. 29th place! With a little luck I'll have a job offer. I'm just hoping they take at least 30 people for the second class. Do you know if they will allow you to take a Paramedic course while in the academy?? I have my EMT-I and would like to start Austin with a Paramedic cert.

Comment

Training typically starts everyday at 7:00 am... almost the entire class is at the academy by 6:30, most before that. Tardiness will get you canned VERY fast! There have been several days that we ran the 4.5 mile loop around Town Lake for PT and we showed up there to start at 6:30... The days end time is extremely varied. It all depends on the class for the day and such. Some days will be very long, while others will be half days. The half days can be either 7-12 or 12-4... just depends on the instructor's schedules.

You are required to have either black shoes or boots... no slip ons... Academy has a large selection of "not so expensive" station boots... go that route... they will get worn.

As far as the paramedic thing goes... well, if you're man enough to hold down a relationship and get enough sleep while this thing is going on, you're doing REAL well! If you can do paramedic school while going through the academy... well, your a freakin super hero! Take my advice. Give it your all at the academy and then pursue your paramedic...

Comment

Originally posted by HonorTheFallen View Post
                    Training typically starts everyday at 7:00 am... almost the entire class is at the academy by 6:30, most before that. Tardiness will get you canned VERY fast! There have been several days that we ran the 4.5 mile loop around Town Lake for PT and we showed up there to start at 6:30... The days end time is extremely varied. It all depends on the class for the day and such. Some days will be very long, while others will be half days. The half days can be either 7-12 or 12-4... just depends on the instructor's schedules.

You are required to have either black shoes or boots... no slip ons... Academy has a large selection of "not so expensive" station boots... go that route... they will get worn.

As far as the paramedic thing goes... well, if you're man enough to hold down a relationship and get enough sleep while this thing is going on, you're doing REAL well! If you can do paramedic school while going through the academy... well, your a freakin super hero! Take my advice. Give it your all at the academy and then pursue your paramedic...
                    I understand. Your probably right. Have you heard anything about the next class? Has anyone said anything about how many they might take?? Thanks...

Comment

I know who HonorTheFallen is and he is by far one of the most squared away cadets I have seen on the drill field, so I would take what he says and listen very carefully. Of course, he should be studying instead of posting on Firehouse, right?? J/K
                      As for the next class, I have been hearing mid-july, so it would be close to the end of the list and then they would still be able to pluck some from the list after they fire a couple or a they resign during the first two weeks. Thats from a pretty reliable source, but you never know.
                      And as far as the Paramedic cert, I think it is great for people who are already medics to continue that cert with AFD, but I do not know why someone would want to become a medic once hired. Unless you wanted to work somewhere off duty. To use your medic license in our system, it is a total pain in the rear to get cleared by the medical director. But hey maybe someday we will run ALS Engines. NOT!

Comment

Originally posted by truckmonkey42 View Post
                        I know who HonorTheFallen is and he is by far one of the most squared away cadets I have seen on the drill field, so I would take what he says and listen very carefully. Of course, he should be studying instead of posting on Firehouse, right?? J/K
                        As for the next class, I have been hearing mid-july, so it would be close to the end of the list and then they would still be able to pluck some from the list after they fire a couple or a they resign during the first two weeks. Thats from a pretty reliable source, but you never know.
                        And as far as the Paramedic cert, I think it is great for people who are already medics to continue that cert with AFD, but I do not know why someone would want to become a medic once hired. Unless you wanted to work somewhere off duty. To use your medic license in our system, it is a total pain in the rear to get cleared by the medical director. But hey maybe someday we will run ALS Engines. NOT!
                        Are you thinking 30+???

Comment

I have a good feelin who you are truckmonkey42 is, but not quite sure... either way I appreciate the compliment and will make sure and finish strong. We've got a good bunch of cadets this class, so the bar is set high for #2.

Ok... I'm gonna go STUDY... take care all

Comment

Let me know when and were the graduation is going to be. I would like to come watch ya'll. I hope everything is going well and good luck with the rest of the class. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for the next class. lol...

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMe View Post
                              Let me know when and were the graduation is going to be. I would like to come watch ya'll. I hope everything is going well and good luck with the rest of the class. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for the next class. lol...
                              Bump...

I just got back from a little structure fire and I was thinking about you guys in the class. How is it going? Did ya'll get some time off due to this storm? When is graduation? Nice to have some cool weather for those burn days!!!

Comment

Graduation is Wednesday February the 7th... at 7:00 pm, believe... no idea where. Regardless... we can't wait! The end is near and everyone is ready to dip their hands into the real calls and to get wormed... a lot!

Cool weather was great for live fire... we just finished our aquired structure and flashover... both were alot of fun. One thing the training staff is great at is finding great off-site buildings for us to use. The aquired structure was the hotel on Riverside and 35... it was great! We also used that structure in ventilation, so everyone got MORE than enough hands on time trenching flat roofs and venting arch roofs! I can't say enough about the 'real deal' training at AFD... nowhere else will you find this kind of training, so if you're lucky enough to make into the next class, make the most of it!

Anyhow, we're just about done with our class schedule, so a lot of testing, both written and practical is ahead of us...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X