Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Austin Class # 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Whiplash,

    Where did you see that a cadet was terminated? Just curious.

    Comment


    • #32
      I look at the union page.. local 975... it had it on the tuesday morning report that a cadet would be terminated for not passing a retest over knot tying. You are right behind me on the list killian. I hope this all comes through for us... we need to get each others emails and keep in contact...

      Comment


      • #33
        I emailed Austin FD and asked about the next class. This is what they sent me back....

        Here is the latest information we have on the next cadet class.



        · We will hire two academy classes from the eligibility list established on July 31, 2006. The list is valid for 12 months from the date certified. (Class 109 – in progress and Class 110). The 2007 budget includes funding for cadet class 110.

        · At this time Class 110 remains tentatively scheduled for spring 2007. It is too early to predict the number of people who will be hired for the class. We will continue to monitor current and projected vacancies in determining class size.

        · Hires for Class 110 will begin with Rank #86 on the eligibility list.

        I realize the information is still somewhat vague. There are still some unknowns that factor into decisions regarding the number of cadets to be hired and the timing of the academy. As more information becomes available we will either post the information on the web page and/or send out an email to applicants on the list.



        This might make us feel a little better.

        Comment


        • #34
          Hey MiniMe - thank you so much for the message that makes me feel so much better! You know at this point I don't care at all when they hire if I just know for sure that they're going to hire me by July 31. I think that's probably how we all feel. I know it's still rough on the guys lower on the list that want to know how many they're hiring. Seeing how they have to spend all the time and money putting us through the academy, I can't imagine them hiring any less than 20. I know they originally said 40 but they said there hadn't been as many retire as they thought would, but I think we can still bank on 20. What do yall think?

          Comment


          • #35
            Personally I am just happy to know that they still plan on having the class. It is a relief. Notice on a date would be extremely nice... but we cant predict the number that they will take... I doubt they will hire less than 20 though... It wouldnt make sense to take less than that... Mini Me , let us know if you hear anything else... Info is appreciated as always...

            Comment


            • #36
              Hey everybody AFD just updated their website on the hiring process page - it says exactly what MiniMe last post said except the projected start date for class 110 is between April - July '07. The most important thing - "we are going to have 2 classes!!!" We can all relax now!!!!

              Comment


              • #37
                maynerd,

                Thanks a lot for the info. I still check the official AFD site on ocassion, but its certainly good to know right away. It feels awesome to know that there is going to be a second class! I cannot wait until the day that I know we're going to start. I am pumped to say the least! Hopefully it'll be sooner than later, either way its exciting for me. I am greatful that we have an outlet like this to answer our questions and ease some of the anxiety in the waiting process. Keep in touch.

                take care

                Comment


                • #38
                  Congrats on the confirmation of the second class... I had heard several other rumors, none of which were that! We just got finished with Swift Water Rescue training... it was alot of fun... thats one thing about this academy... the level of instructors is way above average. They have subject matter experts assigned to each topic and it shows through... even if your already certified... you will learn so much! Look forward to it gentlemen/ladies! Also, it FLIES by... we have 3 months and counting til graduation!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by HonorTheFallen
                    Congrats on the confirmation of the second class... I had heard several other rumors, none of which were that! We just got finished with Swift Water Rescue training... it was alot of fun... thats one thing about this academy... the level of instructors is way above average. They have subject matter experts assigned to each topic and it shows through... even if your already certified... you will learn so much! Look forward to it gentlemen/ladies! Also, it FLIES by... we have 3 months and counting til graduation!
                    Sounds great! I'm working as a Firefighter/EMT-I and know I still have a lot to learn. All I hear is great stuff about AFD training! Was that the first person ya'll have lost? (knot tie fail) Or have there been more??? I know the EMT class is hard for a lot of people. When did you have time to do all your "ride-outs" for your EMT stuff??? Later....

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      So the emt book that they use is AAOS 9th edition "emergency," what fire book do they use - the essentials or fundamentals of FF skills? We might as well start studying now - it's only going to help us out in the future.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        We haven't lost anyone else, expect to the military. Which, to me, is amazing considering the size of the class and the very tough academy standards. You can rest assured that anyone getting out of AFD's academy knows their stuff... not only book related, but hands on as well. There are a ton of skills over and above national and state standards. The Emergency EMT book is correct and yes, please study hard now... it will definitely make it easier for you. The fire book is Fundamentals, which I had never heard of before this class. Very detailed book with lots of definitions. Study both real hard and be extra prepared... it may seem mundane this early, but it will make those 6 months alot easier for you. And... GET IN SHAPE!! Don't go in a slug and plan on letting the academy turn you into a rabbit. Go in a rabbit and let it turn you into a, well, you get the picture!

                        One more tidbit of info... the national registry test is pretty hard from what I've heard and just to give kudos to those who took the test in class 109... everyone not only passed, but the class average was pretty high in comparison the standard. Congrats guys and Good job AFD! Gotta love it!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by HonorTheFallen
                          We haven't lost anyone else, expect to the military. Which, to me, is amazing considering the size of the class and the very tough academy standards. You can rest assured that anyone getting out of AFD's academy knows their stuff... not only book related, but hands on as well. There are a ton of skills over and above national and state standards. The Emergency EMT book is correct and yes, please study hard now... it will definitely make it easier for you. The fire book is Fundamentals, which I had never heard of before this class. Very detailed book with lots of definitions. Study both real hard and be extra prepared... it may seem mundane this early, but it will make those 6 months alot easier for you. And... GET IN SHAPE!! Don't go in a slug and plan on letting the academy turn you into a rabbit. Go in a rabbit and let it turn you into a, well, you get the picture!

                          One more tidbit of info... the national registry test is pretty hard from what I've heard and just to give kudos to those who took the test in class 109... everyone not only passed, but the class average was pretty high in comparison the standard. Congrats guys and Good job AFD! Gotta love it!
                          To the military??? Will they get to come back or will they have to re-test etc??? How many people had to go back to duty? That sucks...

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            I have heard that…the current eligibility list is good until August 1st 2007. The current plan is to hire a second class from this list in mid to late July. The size and date of the class will not be known until closer to the time that the class will start. Factors such as retirements and projected new station opening will determine the class size and starting date. Now with that being said, any of the above information could change given a change (plus or minus) in the retirements that occur between now and then. For example, if 30 FF’s retired today, the class date would probably occur much earlier.

                            The City of Austin FD cannot over-hire, they can only hire someone into the Cadet class if there is a CURRENT Firefighter opening. Right now there are less FF’s retiring than was originally projected. The thought is that in early 2007 more may take out but there is no way to really know if this is true! This entire issue of when the class will start and how many will be selected to very dynamic and, to tell the truth, NOBODY really knows the answers to these questions.

                            This probably does not help much but it may help explain why folks waiting for information on class 2 are not getting much information.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Is that Fundamentals book by Jones and Bartlett, 1st edition?

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by MiniMe
                                To the military??? Will they get to come back or will they have to re-test etc??? How many people had to go back to duty? That sucks...
                                bump questions.....

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X