hiring process (misdemeanor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 2 cents

I am going through a simlar thing myself. I recently applied for a position in a district where I was previously arrested. It was a situation in which I was young, had to much to drink, horsing around with friends, and broke a window. I was arrested, paid for the window, given an ACD (Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal), and all charges were dropped. My record is sealed.

Upon filling out the background packet, I was asked "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?". Technically, the answer in my case is no because my charges were dismissed. To be safe, I called the investigator directly to explain my situation. He advised me that there is a possiblility that sealed records could come up when checking my background and that it would be in my best intertest to lay it all out on the table before hand. So, I answered NO to the above question, but added an attached paper briefly disclosing that I had an received an ACD when I was younger. I also gave my lawyers contact info and stated that they could contact me at anytime regarding the matter.

While I didn't HAVE to say anything at all, I felt much better about disclosing everything. I hope that by doing so, it will show honesty, remorse, and if anything else, I cannot be accused of trying to lie or hide anything. I have not reached the interview portion of the hiring process, but im sure that this situation will come up. IF asked about it, I am ready to explain the incident. I can only hope that the powers at be see the incident as a stupid mistake and that they respect me for being honest. If they hold it against me, then I know it wasn't meant to be and that its nobodys fault other than my own for making a bad decision. But atleast I can go into the interview knowing that I have nothing to hide.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by cl1171980; 08-15-2006, 02:07 PM.

Comment

expungement

[QUOTE=CaptBob]If you were arrested that will stay on your record even if you had the charges expunged. As I wrote above you will have to list it. Many background packets ask in several ways "have you ever". They even ask if you have ever had anything expunged? If so, what and why. Your best day is to be up front and reveal it.

Hey Capt,
      I disagree with you on expungement. If the record is expunged it is taken off the record. The town where the expungement was ordered requests that the FBI remove the file from their records.
      Whats the purpose of having a record expunged if everyone is now going to ask if you were ever arrested or if your record was expuunged!!

Stay safe,

Kevin

Comment

Kevin and all others,
        There is no such thing as a sealed record when it comes to a background check for police and fire. That's why you sign all of the releases when we process your background. It gives access to EEVRYTHING.

Let's jus say for a moment that there is truly a wayto hide all of your misjugements. Why would we hire someone who is not being completely honest with the department and hiding behind a "sealed record."

Like a previous posted said, be honest about your past. We will find out one way or another. If you are honest you get a fair shake. If you lie, you are done before the ink dries.

Good luck,

Paul Lepore
        Battalion Chief
        www.aspiringfirefighters.com
        Last edited by BCLepore; 08-16-2006, 12:10 AM.
        Paul Lepore
        Battalion Chief

Comment

Originally posted by BCLepore
          Kevin and all others,
          There is no such thing when i comes to a background check for police and fire. That's why you sign all of the releases when we process your background. it gives access to EEVRYTHING.

Let's jus say for a moment that there is truly a way o hide all of you misjugements. Why would we hire someone who is not being completely honest with the department and hiding behind a "sealed record."

Like a previous posted said, be honest about your past. We will find out one way or another. If you are honest you get a fair shake. If you lie, you are done before the ink dries.

Good luck,

Paul Lepore
          Battalion Chief
          Very wise advice..
          Do it because you love it, not because you love being seen doing it.

Comment

Alrighty thanks guys for the info, I guess "honesty is the best policy" and just be completetly upfront when the question is asked.

I once had a background check company do a check on me and mailed me a letter before by third and final interview. The letter stated that a class b midsmeanor has been found, but this does not disqualify you from being considered for the job.

On my third interview he asked me if I had been in any criminal trouble when I was a teenager. He said dont worry if you have, when you are in highschool and college we all make dumb mistakes. I told him about the charge and was hired anyways.

I think most companies just cringe on the idea of hiring someone with any criminal background if their incident happened recently, like in the last 3 years. After 3 years there seems to be some leeway.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X