Relocating from Wisconsin to Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating from Wisconsin to Colorado

I was wondering if you could tell me how certifications transfer through states. I just got through my Firefighter I class and will be starting EMT-Basic next month. My goal is to be a career Firefighter/Paramedic. What are the requirements to be considered for employment in Colorado? Should I wait until I'm through with my EMT classses or will I just have to take everything over out there if I decide to relocate from Wisconsin?

I guess the question is do I move first then take the classes specific to the state, or should I finish schooling out here, and then move to anoter state and get a job.

In Colorado, to become a state EMT B you must be National Registry certified, and submit an application to the state for EMT-B certification. Its a painless process. So pretty much you can take EMT classes in Wisconsin and as long as you get NREMT out of it you can transfer it to CO state EMT easily. As for Firefighter 1 in Colorado, I believe as long as its IFSAC or equivalent it should transfer. Contact the Colorado Division of Fire Safety on that. As for requirements, almost every place requires EMT-B as a minimum (im speaking career), and many are looking for qualified Paramedics, especially most suburban Denver metro area departments. You jsut missed the test for Denver, and it looks like this list will be good for 2 years, so if you wanna get on in CO i'd look elsewhere. West Metro will be hiring next year, they are a large department on Denver's western edge. Englewood might be doing something early next year as well. As for the rest of the state, i know Colorado Springs is hiring right now, Greeley (Union Colony Fire Rescue) will start next year, and I'd keep an eye on South Metro Fire (south Denver suburbs). There are also quite a few opportunities to become a reserve or volunteer firefighter in the Denver metro area, many of the suburbs are combo depts. Some ones to check into there are Federal Heights Fire, Arvada Fire (my current department), Southwest Adams County Fire, Sheridan Fire, Something to think about... Anyways good luck..

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X