Questions about Houston FD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Houston FD

Hey everybody, I have a quick question for all of you. Ever since I've gotten into firefighting it's been my dream to work for HFD. I'm 20 y/o I live in WI and I'm a certified FFI and also a NREMT-P. I work as a medic and am on a vol. fd I also plan to take FFII very soon and possibly some other classes. My fiance and I are making a trip out there later this month to check out the area, housing, and maybe a station or two. She's just finishing nursing school and is a paramedic as well. We've allready recieved job offers with cypress creek ems as paramedics. what my question to all of you would be what are my chances of getting hired onto HFD. It's been my dream to work there ever since I started doing this and don't think I'd want to be much anywhere else. I'm in good shape, intelligent, and have a clean record with no traffic violations except an impeeding traffic ticket. What can I do to get hired? and what are my odds now? I've heard rumors that Houston is in great need of medics and is pretty much willing to take anyone who has a clean backround on. But knowing how competative the fire service is I don't much believe that. I've finished at the top of a few lists here in WI, but havn't gotten a job offer yet. Any help or advice I can get would be great. Thanks for your time.
    Luke
    Last edited by kwikylube; 08-08-2006, 01:00 AM. Reason: misprint

HFD DOES really need paramedics. Pretty much all incoming firefighters are being crosstrained as medics. Getting on with HFD doesn't seem as difficult as with other departments.

Some good things about Houston: incredibly low cost of living, tons of pro sports, ridiculous amount of restaurants (one of the highest per capita in the nation)

Like a lot of cities in the south (Charlotte, Austin/Round Rock, Atlanta, Phoenix) Houston is growing, and growing fast.

Comment

Also I should mention that HFD just tested. One test for already certified firefighters and one for non certified firefighters. Still, HFD seems to test pretty regularly so I wouldnt worry about the fact that they just tested.

Also, as it comes to your wife - there is plenty of opportunity here for her. The Houston Medical Center is both world renowned and huge. Of course nurses are in demand pretty much nationwide, but I imagine with the size of the med center here it would be even higher here.

Best of luck.

Comment

Hfd

I'm currently waiting to get into a class that will hopefully start in September for people with no experience. They put you through EMT, Paramedic, and then Fire School. With you already having all of your certs and experience, I would wait until they offer what is called a Fast-Track exam. They gave one recently about a month or two after their general exam. All the information about it is on the website: www.houstonfire.org.

A bit about Houston . . . it's massive. I would suggest settling in a suburb: Katy, the Clear Lake area, Spring / The Woodlands, etc. Living in Houston is hit and miss, and the nice parts of Houston can get expensive (not by national standards, but definitely by Houston standards).

Application process -- their physical ability test is fairly easy, and is much easier than what the standard CPAT sounds like. However, a few people flunk the run (1 1/2 mi. in under 13:09). They also have a polygraph which scares some people, but I didn't think it was too bad.. lasted about 15 minutes. They do a background investigation and offer conditional employment.

I would get an application off of the Internet and send it in. I am not sure how it works, but I am positive they would send you through an EMT refresher and fireschool again. I have a friend who worked for Austin FD who had to go through all of that in Houston also because they wanted to teach the "Houston way".. which is fine, but makes for you getting cadet pay and relearning things you already know for a couple of months.

All the best (and as the previous poster said, Houston is desperate for more Paramedics, the overtime currently paid to medics is motivating them to hire more of them).

Comment

The easiest test I've taken ...

So, we just got our scores back from the latest test for certified firefighters. Not sure how many are in the same boat, but most of the people that I talked to leaving the test thought that they got close to a 100. I did get a perfect score and (to be honest) didn't really get a chance to do too much preparation for it. The downside to that is that it also propbably means that there are quite a few people with my same score which makes a high score there not really as impressive I guess.

I met a guy from Boston FD testing this last go around. He told me that his wife's family was from the area and he agreed to give it a shot since she wanted to be closer to family. So, I know for a fact that they let out of staters test. This guy had been on with Boston for 9 years and was still working a Ladder downtown somewhere. So, I don't think that he was planning on moving until after he got a conditional job offer. But, I can't confirm what the rules are on that. Anyway, best of luck with that. Hope it works out for you.

Comment

Has anyone heard from a recruiter from the 7/27/06 test? Like to know were everyone stands.

Comment

houston last i checked has a "fast track" program for already certified firefighters. if you get your fire fighter 2 you can apply directly to texas commision on fire protection for your texas basic fire fighter and you are set as far as certification is concerned. the medic is a plus based on the rumor mill i am in on, but i always believe that advanced medical training is a plus anywhere. keep working on it, look for the next time they test, (about once and year) and go after it hard and heavy. you should get in, they are recruiting firefighters hard and they are easier than say san antonio, austin and other southern departments (this was mentioned earlier)

info for applying for the texas basic structural firefighter can be found at www.tcfp.state.tx.us at this link should be all the info you need on transfering your ifsac ff2 to texas as a basic. it's excellent that you already have job offers though.

may i ask, Why houston from wi?

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Firefighter0011
                Has anyone heard from a recruiter from the 7/27/06 test? Like to know were everyone stands.

I called to check my rank on the certified firefighters list. They'll give it to you if you ask. Also recently got a letter (earlier this week) from the city with a recruiter's name and contact info. It said they would contact us about the next stage. Best of luck.

Comment

Anything new Chuck or are they dragging their feet?

Comment

I took the test on Wednesday for certified paramedics. I've taken austin and san antonios test, and I could not believe how easy it was compared to austin and san antonio. I've noticed there are a lot less people at the houston test. There were only 43 people at the test I took. I'm sure as long as you pass you should move on in a small test like that. Does any here work for houston or know more about HFD? I'm trying to find out more about the deepartment and how people there feel about the department. Being a paramedic i'm sure I wouldn't see a fire truck for many years there. I just don't know enough about HFD to be sure that it would be worth leaving the dept. i'm with now to go to houston. Let me know if anyone has any more info, especially from anyone working there.

Comment

Originally posted by Firefighter0011 View Post
                      Anything new Chuck or are they dragging their feet?
                      Sorry I didn't get back right away. It's been a while since I've checked this. PM me if you want more info. Hope all is well.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X