Native american a minority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native american a minority

Hello I will be applying for some fire jobs soon in texas, oklahoma, and colorado. As soon as my paramedic class is over. But my question is Iam a majorty white male I have dark hair with Little bit of a darker compliction but not enough that I still look like a white boy. I do have enough native american blood to have an Indian card that says I belong to the chereokee nation, and that my ansectors were on the rolls. I was wondering what would a fire department think if I put down that I was a minority. Would it look like I was trying to take advantage of the system, or would they care since most departments are desperate to hire minorities? Is native american even a minority in most departments eyes.? Or could I even say I was a minority since Iam more white than indian?

As long as you have your paperwork to back it then it doesnt matter. So I take it you have at least 1/8 in you?
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Comment

Yes

Your best undisbuted day is to have a registration number from the tribe.

Captain Bob

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
      http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

You Bet

Flucas....I am American Indian of a Cherokee Tribe out of Muskogee, Oklahoma. I didn't have papers as Grandma Stoop didn't want the Governments hand outs. I put down a check by "Do you consider yourself or are a member of an Indian Tribe. The answer was and is YES. I did not have to prove it only that I consider myself an American Indian. The Civil Service only made one comment to me about it and it was only jokily. So unless they ask for proof and you have it.....Put it down as a YES!!

Respectfully,
        Jay Runningbear Dudley,
        Retired Fire
        Respectfully,
        Jay Dudley
        Retired Fire
        Background Investigator
        IACOJ-Member
        Lifetime Member CSFA
        IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

How about physical and mental preparation for your FF exam? The men you work side by side with won't care if you are half Indian, just that you are the best you can be...sorry for the rant.

Comment

True, If you can't pass the written it won't make a difference. In all reality minority status doesn't really matter all that much, look at Chicago. They have gone to a random sampling process to fill a clips. Maybe not the most fairway of doing things, but it does guarantee some level of diversity.

Having gone through three big city processes and being a minority, I can tell you it hasn't helped one iota . What got me far in the process is hard work, being a minority didn't matter a bit. It didn't matter in the written, it didn't matter in the physical, and the only place it helped a little was the interview because I could explain how I can understand another culture a little better being a part of it. But even if I wasn't a minority, I would have still had a great answer for the question because I was prepared.

Anyways good luck with the process, it can be a bear.
            Last edited by Peekay; 07-26-2006, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peekay
              Minority status won't give you an edge unless you can explain it in the interview. Anyways good luck with the process, it can be a bear.
              It gives a you a big edge at Nashville fire
              IACOJ
              FTM-PTB

Comment

Any Help??

Being an American Indian didn't help me at all. They(Civil Service) just wanted to know the breakdown of the people they hire. No extra points for being an American Indian....extra points came from being a Viet Nam Vet.

Respectfully,
                Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
                Respectfully,
                Jay Dudley
                Retired Fire
                Background Investigator
                IACOJ-Member
                Lifetime Member CSFA
                IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

I trying to be prepared in all ways possible I study all the time, I went to paramedic school and I enjoy that, I am in the best shape of my life even in better shape when I played football in college. Iam also trying to learn spanish so that might make me more hireable. I was just asking if using my indian card would give me advantage in the hiring process. I read on colorado springs website that minorities Are encourage to apply.

Comment

F'in Jack-bag!!!

POST REMOVED BY WEBTEAM FOR PERSONAL ATTACK.

USER BANNED FOR 7 DAYS.

WEBTEAM

Comment

Wow.......
                      Best Wishes To All!

Comment

Caring and sharing

Originally posted by jonathanj003
                        Post removed by WebTeam
                        Thank you from our Minister of Charm and Diplomacy-our motto "Kill them all-let God sort them out"

Comment

Folks

Please stay on the topic moving forward. User dealt with. Thanks to those who reported.

WebTeam

Comment

Thank you!!

I'm glad your there to take care of your site.

Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
                            Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley
                            Retired Fire
                            Background Investigator
                            IACOJ-Member
                            Lifetime Member CSFA
                            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

My appologies to those that may have been offended by my comments; however, this was not a personal attack on anyone. These are just my thoughts, and thoughts of others I'm sure (half of which will not speak up).....about the situation that was brought up. And again I will echo the same: It is deplorable to use the NATIVE AMERICAN MINORITY as a crutch for hiring leverage! That is the topic, is it not? And how am I not sticking to it?

My post was in essence just to say instead of worrying about how to manipulate the system and use the minority card, why not go to Medic school? Why not work on your Firefighter certs? Why not study up on some specialty courses? Make sense yet? This was not a personal attack--just the truth that should be pointed out--and is long overdue. This has been a tough topic for years and no one addresses it. At times cities and municipalities select candidates on race, color, creed, sex, (fill in the blank) in order to meet certain criteria in the hiring percentages. This is no suprise or anything new. However, when this is done, MOST OF THE TIME, THE BEST CANDIDATE IS PASSED OVER TO HIRE ON THE ABOVE!! It is ludacris!

Anyone that disagrees with me I would love to hear a counter-argument.

That is all.
                              Last edited by jonathanj003; 07-31-2006, 12:23 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X