Combat Vet needs advice on oral/background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Vet needs advice on oral/background

Hello all, I am a fire/emt in florida and have a oral board coming up. I 'm 28 and have a felony arrest on my record (agg assault), I was only charged- never went to court- case was dismissed for lack of evidence and unable to prosecute.This happened in 2000(22yrs old) and I have had nothing on my record since including traffic.. On my app combat Vet Pref was claimed. They only wanted to know of convictions,misd, and no contedre. Should I bring the court document stating that the case was dismissed with me to the oral interview since I know that once fingerprinted it will show up? I have 4 yrs active army as an combat medic and 4 yrs as an Nat Guard medic.What are my chance of getting hired with any dept as an Vet with an arrest record. Please Advise

alright this is a case of always be honest, but dont go overboard.

if they ask you have you ever been arrested you say yes then explain what happened. if they ask if you were convicted of a crime you say no.

i would say also bring all the documentation with you in case it comes up of course so you can explain it.

Comment

Consider not bringing this situation up in an oral interview unless the panel does. Many candidates feel they have to do repair work. It will only bury you. The panel probably won't because this is something that is handled with the background investigator.

In case it is brought up prepare an answer in advance and practice with a tape recorder until it comes out of your mouth the way you want it to so you won't be caught flat footed. You can bring the documentation with you in a folder and place it on the floor next to the hot seat chair you sit in. If the situation comes up ask first if they want to see the documentation after you tell a brief story. Then, and only then, produce the documentation.

Keep it simple.

Are you already a firefighter testing for another department?
      Last edited by CaptBob; 07-22-2006, 12:35 AM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
      http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

I guess I am not really clear on what you are asking. There is no way the oral board will know about it unless you put it on your application. I don't have one of our applications handy so I cannot tell you if it asks for arrests or convictions. They are very different. You can be arrested and finger printed, but if you are not found guilty for lack of evidence it shouldn't be an automatic disqualifier. I would be expected to answer questions (do not hide it) in a background.

If it is on your application they will see it. If they do not bring it up it is a bad sign as they are not interested in you as a candidate. If they were they would ask you questions about.
        Paul Lepore
        Battalion Chief
        www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

Background

cm25..As one who has done orals I have come across situations similar to your case. I was unable to ask"The Question". It was , as stated previously asked by the background investigator. Captain Bob is correct...don't bring it up...but if asked , give them the full details.

Respectfully,
          Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
          Respectfully,
          Jay Dudley
          Retired Fire
          Background Investigator
          IACOJ-Member
          Lifetime Member CSFA
          IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

If it's on your application I can certainly ask you about it.

We even now ask our candidates in the Chief's Interview if there is anything that will come up during a background.
            Paul Lepore
            Battalion Chief

Comment

Thanks for advice

I'll bring the Doc's with me and be ready to answer any questions.The backgound is performed by a private company.Can I be DQ'ed if I produce proof of dismissal after fingerprint results come back.

Comment

Be Prepared

Many agencies have structured orals where they ask all the candidates the same questions. Nothing more. Often the panel members do not see the applications. Some won't even know your name. Some agencies (Oakland California) only use a scantron application. Even some of the on-line PHQ (personal history questionaire) only asks for convictions.

Still be prepared to answer the question if it's the oral board or background investigator. Having the charges thrown out should be a factor here.

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Originally posted by combatmedic25
                  I'll bring the Doc's with me and be ready to answer any questions.The backgound is performed by a private company.Can I be DQ'ed if I produce proof of dismissal after fingerprint results come back.
                  No, you do not get a chance to tell the truth after being caught in a lie. Yes, intentionally with holding information is the same as telling a lie.

Isn't this what we teach our kids?
                  Paul Lepore
                  Battalion Chief

Comment

Backgrounds

Paul...The question I couldn't ask was a candidate for L.B.P.D. I was doing orals for them and the candidate was with L.A.P.D. and was let go before her probation was up. I wanted to ask why they let her go and was told by Civil Service that I could not "Ask the question" that was bugging me. I guess as you have said the rules have eased up.

Respectfully,
                    Jay
                    Respectfully,
                    Jay Dudley
                    Retired Fire
                    Background Investigator
                    IACOJ-Member
                    Lifetime Member CSFA
                    IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Jay,
                      I was on the panel for our Chief's Interview last month. The question was very clear:

Is there anything that will surface during a backbround investigation that we should know about now?

We are not the only department in the area that asks the same question. It is extremely common.
                      Last edited by BCLepore; 07-24-2006, 01:42 AM.
                      Paul Lepore
                      Battalion Chief

Comment

Answers?

Yes, the question is there anything we should know about can and is asked.

How as a candidate would you answer this question or as a rater what are some common answers that candidates reply with?

Captain Bob

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Advice

The best bet is to answer any questions about the mentioned incident honestly. If they dont ring it up dont worry too much, but if they do explain thoroughly. And it would be a good idea to have the documentation from the court w/ you.

Now the kicker is you must tell the background investigator what really happened and bring it up before he does. If you tell him before he finds it himself then you should be ok, but if he has to dig up that info himself he'll probably just throw you out of the process right away.

Comment

Backgrounds

Paul...I like it when you can "Ask the question". I was upset at Civil Service when "I" could not.
                            Thanks,
                            Jay
                            Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley
                            Retired Fire
                            Background Investigator
                            IACOJ-Member
                            Lifetime Member CSFA
                            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse