Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin FD Update

"July 20, 2006:

The process for medical and psychological evaluations, as well as background investigations, continues. We anticipate submitting the final ranking list to the Civil Service Commission for approval in late July/early August. Applicants must pass all exams in the hiring process before their name can be placed on the list submitted to the Commission. The specific rankings will not be known until all components of the process are completed on all candidates. The list will be posted on this website immediately following the Commission approval. At that time, offer letters will also be issued.

We are aware that applicants need to make some arrangements if they are selected. Based on our projections, applicants who rank in the top 100 (on the currently posted list) and successfully pass all components of the process may be considered for the cadet class scheduled to start on August 21. If your rank is between 101 and 160, you may be considered for the cadet class scheduled for spring 2007. At this time, we are unable to give individual updates to candidates on their ranking or status in the process.

Top candidates should notify us of any changes to personal information such as mailing address, phone number and e-mail address. Updates on personal information can be sent to [email protected]. We appreciate your continued patience as we finalize the remaining components in the hiring process. Please continue to check this web page regularly for updates."

I was ranked 90th and did all my testing long ago...I heard nothing back, which I take as a good thing. I'm debating if I should get excited or not...

Yeah

You should get excited. Thats great that your are ranked 90th. Im sure you will get in. Congrats to you.!!

Comment

Originally posted by firerunner7
      You should get excited. Thats great that your are ranked 90th. Im sure you will get in. Congrats to you.!!
      Thanks for the kind words. I've racheted my optimism up a notch, but until I get the final word I'm not going to be doing any celebrations...

Comment

Steers.

Congrats on being ranked 90th! I'm currently sitting at 115th which I am okay with for this being my first shot at this. I really hope they stick with hiring a second class. The waiting game is killing me; I check the site about five times a day hoping to see any good news. What do you think my chances are? I would have to think they would at least take 40 for the second class, but who knows???

take care

Comment

yeah im like top 60 and im worried it would be killer to get booted at this point in the process

Comment

First class WILL be 80 cadets and the second class WILL be approx. 40. If you're sitting 115 you're looking very good. Good luck!

Comment

The rumor mill says the list will be out on the 31st...good luck everyone.

Comment

The Civil Service Commission will certify the list on the 31st so it may take a day or so to get it out to the website. But that said, top 80 better be getting ready and if you are from out of town you might want to start looking for an apartment.
                For those who thought it was OK to be piggin' out on twinkies and ho-hos after the CPAT, you better be ready for the academy. The PT is no joke.

Comment

Originally posted by truckmonkey42
                  The Civil Service Commission will certify the list on the 31st so it may take a day or so to get it out to the website. But that said, top 80 better be getting ready and if you are from out of town you might want to start looking for an apartment.
                  For those who thought it was OK to be piggin' out on twinkies and ho-hos after the CPAT, you better be ready for the academy. The PT is no joke.
                  Thanks for the info. Any clue how many people in the top 80 dropped or failed since the list came out? I'm sitting at 90 so I'm wondering if I have much of a shot at the first academy...

Comment

I am not sure how many of the top 80 are gone. I have heard things but do not want to give you bad info. I know it sucks waiting but somebody has to be # 1 for the 2nd class right? Some consolation maybe. If by chance you don't make the first class, make sure you stay clean for the 2nd class. No DUI's, traffic tickets, etc.
                    What # are you HonortheFallen? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by truckmonkey42
                      I am not sure how many of the top 80 are gone. I have heard things but do not want to give you bad info. I know it sucks waiting but somebody has to be # 1 for the 2nd class right? Some consolation maybe. If by chance you don't make the first class, make sure you stay clean for the 2nd class. No DUI's, traffic tickets, etc.
                      What # are you HonortheFallen? Just curious.

Thanks for the info again. I'm definitely looking forward to finding out.

Comment

Will the second class know that they are "in" pending that they stay in good standing. It's gonna be a tough few months not knowing!

Comment

I'm sittin mid 50's right now and have since talked to the headquarters and found out I did pass my medical and such, so my name is going to the commission... Thank goodness!

They seem to think that the list could be posted Monday afternoon. That was good info about the PT... it's no joke and you have to be prepared... no better way or reason to wash someone out of the academy than by having them out of shape!

Comment

I was told about a month ago by AFD that the second class will not be a for sure 100% thing until next year's budget comes out. So for those of us who are in position for the second class, we will still not know for sure until later in the year. I am very excited about being in the second class but we all know there is a huge difference in "pretty sure" and "for sure". Because so far all I have heard about the second class is pretty sure.

Comment

Well the budget was presented http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/budget/

The budget for 2005-2006 called for 60 cadet positions and so does the 2006-2007 budget. So the first class should come from the 05-06 budget and the next class from 06-07 budget. The numbers obviously are a little skewed because the 1st class should be 80 and second 40. But that still equals 120. So more than likely if the 06-07 budget is approved then all is good.

Also, at least 15 people from the top 160 or so have dropped out or been dropped from the list. Not sure where they were positioned but that drops the qualified #'s. Also don't think some more will not get hired somewhere else or move on to other things. So I would like my chances if I was anywhere on the list.

So all who are waiting for the Civil Service Commission to certify the list, have a good nights sleep tonight and see if you have won the lottery tomorrow. Because this job is so great, it's like winning the lottery!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X