Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice/Assistance

Hi all,

New to posting on the forums here, but have read some excellent messages and thought this was the place to turn for help.

I am a licensed Paramedic in Connecticut with over 10 years experience in a progressive, albeit private, 911 response system. Yes, that's another way of saying AMR.....

Anyway, I took a leave from the field to pursue a goal of college and a family, both of which have been achieved. I have moved to Massachusetts and found that despite my background in EMS, Volunteer Firefighting, and various rescue certifications my age (33) is a stumbling block for acceptance onto many Massachusetts departments.

I am curious if anyone knows of any departments in RI/MA/NH/CT without an age restrictions or where I should begin to look - I would prefer to work in Massachusetts, but if my experience is not welcome due to my age, I'll gladly set up shop somewhere else -

Any thoughts?

Bill

Lexington MA is looking for firefighter/medics. MA medic license is all they're requiring at time of hire.

http://lexingtonma.virtualtownhall.n...C162F-009C165F

Comment

Medic,
      The thing that lingers in my mind about your post is what leads you to believe that it is your age that is keeping you from getting hired?

If all of the departments you are trying to get hired on have an age limit, then I understand your plight. However, if you are speculating this to be the cause I suggest you may be off base.

At 33 years old with a degree and a paramedic license, coupled with volunteer experience you should be at the top of the hiring list.

The average age of what we hire on my department is usually around 29 years old. We have hired several firefighters in their late 30’s and even a couple in their 40’s. Traditionally older firefighters do extremely well in the fire service.

By reading your post I see that you took a hiatus to pursue education and to spend time with your family. Both are admirable things to do. You have to look at it from the interviewer’s perspective. One may question your dedication, and more importantly your skill level, after leaving the fire service. When the applicant pool is full of people just like you who have maintained their full time jobs, family commitments and earned their degree, someone who takes time away may raise questions in their minds.

I may be way off base here and it may simply be a matter of being too old to take the entry-level exams. Maximum age limits to take entry-level exams are non-existent (as far as I know on the left coast).

If so, keep my thoughts in the back of your mind. Even if the oral board doesn’t ask you about the time away as it relates to your skill level, they are considering it.

Lastly, when I think of a 33 year old who has been an AMR paramedic for 10 years the first thing that comes to mind is physical conditioning. The average 10 year medic eating on the run in the front seat of an ambulance is generally not in the upper tier of the physical agility exams. If you are, you are the exception and I encourage you to use it to your advantage.

Good luck in the process and use the time away and your degree as an advantage to your profile.

Paul Lepore
      Battalion Chief
      www.aspiringfirefighters.com
      Last edited by BCLepore; 07-18-2006, 12:14 AM.
      Paul Lepore
      Battalion Chief
      www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse