Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Written test, Polo and Khaki's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written test, Polo and Khaki's?

Is this fine or do I need to pull the suit out?

Sounds fine to me, most of the test at large dept. have several hundred people at once, and there are usually a good mix of different attires so in general you wont stand out. However if you know many of the firefighters/officers personally you may want to step up to the suit to show the people you know your trying a little harder then most of the other people.

Comment

I would put on a suit. You want to make every positive impression that you can.

Comment

wear what ever you are most comfortable in. no need to get dressed up you are just a number when you take the written! so wear something that you can sit comfortably in while taking that test.

Comment

Originally posted by HFD190
          wear what ever you are most comfortable in. no need to get dressed up you are just a number when you take the written! so wear something that you can sit comfortably in while taking that test.
          Some would suggest a suit. That will certainly make you stand out. But, I agree with the above. Just don't wear tank tops, shorts or flip flows like you're heading to the beach after the interview.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
          http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

It's all about risk versus gain.

What's the risk in wearing a suit and tie?

Absolutly nothing.

What's the benefit of wearing a suit and tie?

Hmmmm, maybe someone important will notice you and approach you.

I know what I would do.

Paul Lepore
            Battalion Chief
            www.aspiringfirefighters.com
            Paul Lepore
            Battalion Chief

Comment

You can always remove a jacket and tie once the exam begins...but after you have made your entrance and shown that you are putting your best foot forward to whomever have may noticed when you checked in.

Comment

Wear what ever is comfortable, especially if it is a big department that has alot of people to process. I took DC's exam and there were plenty of people there in tank tops and shorts. You are just a number at the written test, no one can judge your test score based on what you wear and with hundreds or thousands of people taking the test, its unlikely they would remember you anyways. I wore jeans and a t-shirt for the dept that Im testing with and I go for my 2nd interview today.

Comment

MikeCO5,
                  You missed the point.
                  Yes, you are correct when you say that it has no bearing on your score, but.............

In most places members of the department are proctoring the exam to make certain everything is on the up and up with the candidates. The more people that are wandering around the room, the less of a chance that someone will copy of their neighbor's answer sheet.

These firefighters range from the Fire Chief who has a vested interest to the rookie firefighter. You as a candidate are seeking all of the information about the department. Ideally you are approached by one of the firefighters who begins a dialogue.

I huge victory would be to be invited to the station to learn about the department. It's a huge step in preparing for the interview. WHile you candidates are seeking a job, the firefighters want to make certain they are getting awesome people. It works both ways.

Good luck,

Paul Lepore
                  Battalion Chief
                  Paul Lepore
                  Battalion Chief

Comment

You never know

You never know who you're going to bump into or meet at a test. In DC a close friend of mine waited in line overnight to take the test. During the morning hours an older gentleman wearing jeans and a worn out DCFD baseball cap made his way up the line saying hello to folks. He was the Chief. So you never know who'll you'll bump into and who you might have a chance to schmooze with; put your best foot forward.

Comment

Attire

Anything is possible. What you wear is the strongest non-verbal statement you can make.

This was a big topic on another bulletin board about a year ago. I saw a brigade of suit clad candidates for a few written tests. Then these same candidates stopped wearing the suits. I asked a few why they stopped and they just rolled their eyes saying they felt like dorks, going to the prom or funeral in a sea of casual attire.

Consider wearing a sports coat over a nice shirt and remove it once you're seated in the written.
                      Last edited by CaptBob; 06-22-2006, 11:27 AM.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
                      http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

honestly, you could wear a $3K suit, but if you write a 70 you will not be hired. The guy in the tank top and sandals who writes #2 on the list will get the job. That's the civil service way.

Comment

I went with Khaki's and a dress shirt. Alot of guys in shorts and sandals, so we'll see how I scored. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

No Shorts

First let me start off saying that neither the Department I retired from or the one I work with now would anyone think of coming in shorts and flip-flops. If they did it would be "See you in Two". Chief Lepore is correct when he says "The room has eyes". The main reason that we have proctors is to keep everyone honest and look to see who wants the job and who shows up dressed to go to the beach. There is nothing wrong with taking a few extra minutes and put on at least...sports coat and tie. I know there are quite a lot more "Dorks" hired then joe surfs' if any. We look to see who has done their homework and is dressed for success.

Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
                            Respectfully,
                            Jay Dudley
                            Retired Fire
                            Background Investigator
                            IACOJ-Member
                            Lifetime Member CSFA
                            IAFF Alumni Member

Comment

Originally posted by JayDudley
                              First let me start off saying that neither the Department I retired from or the one I work with now would anyone think of coming in shorts and flip-flops. If they did it would be "See you in Two". Chief Lepore is correct when he says "The room has eyes". The main reason that we have proctors is to keep everyone honest and look to see who wants the job and who shows up dressed to go to the beach. There is nothing wrong with taking a few extra minutes and put on at least...sports coat and tie. I know there are quite a lot more "Dorks" hired then joe surfs' if any. We look to see who has done their homework and is dressed for success.
                              They why bother having the test? Just have a fashion show every few years instead! Who cares about ability to learn and perform the job - I want people who know how to dress!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90