No announcement yet.

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certifications don't mean anything except a paramedic certification. You can be a battalion chief from another department.. You will be in the same boat as a guy working at Taco Bell.

You will have to work at a station with a truck to get truck qualified.. So if you get lucky to be at a truck house out of recruit school you can start to get qualified within the first year.

Rescue squad takes longer. If you are a medic it will be quicker.

Comment

• Originally posted by blachatch View Post
      Certifications don't mean anything except a paramedic certification. You can be a battalion chief from another department.. You will be in the same boat as a guy working at Taco Bell.

You will have to work at a station with a truck to get truck qualified.. So if you get lucky to be at a truck house out of recruit school you can start to get qualified within the first year.

Rescue squad takes longer. If you are a medic it will be quicker.
      Sorry another question.

What is the promotional process like as a medic.

Can you promote and still stay on the ambulance until LT?

Is there room for advancement in FCFD?
      Does education such as a bachelors and masters help at all once you get to an officers position?

As a medic is there overtime opportunity?

Appreciate all the answers

Comment

• OT here is no problem at all. You can do 48hr shifts if available.

Yes degrees are a must I believe to promote to higher positions. I'm only a few months on so I don't know a lot of the little details.

The opportunities are endless for the department especially as a medic.

Comment

• Philliesfan.....there are 34 in the current class, 30 week-long academy.

Next class is said to be in February, but I havent heard numbers.

Comment

• In Fairfax do they allow subs for shifts?

Comment

• What do you mean subs? You mean shift trades?

Comment

What do you mean subs? You mean shift trades?
                Yes shift trades for shifts and for cash?

Comment

• Yes you can do shift exchanges.

Comment

• Hey guys not to sound greedy or doing this job for the wrong reason and Ik it's not about the money it's about how much you love it. But do guys making the FF/EMT salary live comfortably and able to afford having and raising a family

Comment

• At what point should I ping the recruitment staff about my application? My CPAT letter was submitted August 8th and have not heard a peep since then. I understand that it can take some time, but it's been over two months now waiting on being scheduled for a medical/psych/poly (any one of them).

Comment

• Trust me it will probably come one day from out of the blue I did my cpat in September of 2014 and didn't get a medical date till I think April. Usually around this point of the process they are very backed up with applicants because so many people apply really the only step of the process that u get scheduled for fast is the last one the psych eval because after the poly is where they drop a lot of people from the process

Comment

• I took my Cpat in January 2015. Didnt do my medical until end of June. Just to let you know how long it will be.

Comment

• Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            Hey guys not to sound greedy or doing this job for the wrong reason and Ik it's not about the money it's about how much you love it. But do guys making the FF/EMT salary live comfortably and able to afford having and raising a family
                            Fairfax county itself is very expensive to live. Not many people live in the county. People drive as far as New Jersey to work here. You can do very well on a Fairfax county salary. It just depends on where you want to live.

I choose to have a 15 minute commute to my station and pay higher rent. I also live with two other people so it's not bad.

Comment

Fairfax county itself is very expensive to live. Not many people live in the county. People drive as far as New Jersey to work here. You can do very well on a Fairfax county salary. It just depends on where you want to live.

I choose to have a 15 minute commute to my station and pay higher rent. I also live with two other people so it's not bad.
                              Just to add on to what you said already: excluding overtime, Fairfax County has the second highest base salary for career firefighters in Northern VA, only slightly behind Arlington. While it's not about the money--even if it were, it is quite doable to live comfortably on your paychecks. Even if you live within Fairfax Co. or Arlington, and especially Loudoun, Prince William or Fauquier Counties. Disclaimer: I am not a Fairfax County firefighter, just someone who has lived on those wages in this area.

Comment

• Is the department currently short on paramedics? I feel like I have seen the post for a fire/medic position quite often lately. From what it sounds like this would be a great place to work and am considering applying for the fire/medic position.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X