Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FireFighterCanididate1 View Post
    All medic spots?
    No, Fairfax County is not only hiring medics.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by marbuckle
      Anybody hear anything?
      Nope.. I'd imagine they would have the list ready/almost ready for the upcoming class though. Sir Kobersteen, can you advise? Have they picked who they wanted yet?

Comment

• All I heard was when at occupational health it sounded like 60 positions- 30 experienced, 30 without firefighting experience. The 30 experienced new hires where going to be put through an expedited academy to get them to the companies ASAP. When at CPAT, the other candidates there mentioned the academy start date was being pushed back until they had enough qualified medics to start a class. Everyone there I believe was an ALS provider. All hear-say, so take with a grain of salt...

Comment

• Originally posted by Adenosine6 View Post
          All I heard was when at occupational health it sounded like 60 positions- 30 experienced, 30 without firefighting experience. The 30 experienced new hires where going to be put through an expedited academy to get them to the companies ASAP. When at CPAT, the other candidates there mentioned the academy start date was being pushed back until they had enough qualified medics to start a class. Everyone there I believe was an ALS provider. All hear-say, so take with a grain of salt...
          I haven't heard anything about how many experience/inexperienced people they're putting through. I have heard that the first half (assuming 136A) will start in January, and the second half (136B) will start early Spring and will run concurrently.

Comment

• Just spoke with HR/Recruiting. Confirmed a January 13th class of "beginner" firefighters at 35 recruits and an accelerated course of 30 to start in March. The accelerated recruits need to have FFII as a minimum requirement. Selection is in process, but notification has not begun. There is no confirmed date for notification, but "soon" was the answer given.

Comment

• Originally posted by ragingcajun View Post
              I haven't heard anything about how many experience/inexperienced people they're putting through. I have heard that the first half (assuming 136A) will start in January, and the second half (136B) will start early Spring and will run concurrently.
              That sounds about right. Chief Bowers most recent newsletter does mention an "accelerated" recruit class to get FS442 open in July 2014; it could be 136(B), joining 136(A) at a later date, and sharing the same graduation date.

The experienced/inexperienced thing was the first I ever heard. But it was honestly refreshing to hear, even if it turns out not to be true. As a side discussion, the fire service is the only job I know of that shoots itself in the foot because we treat new guys with years of experience as rookies or worst, recruits all over again. Example being, I work for a neighboring NOVA department next to Fairfax. Every NOVA department in the COG uses NOVA Ops as our SOPs/SOGs. If a 3-5 year hire wants to transfer to another NOVA department to finish out his 25, then boom- It's back to basic recruit school for six months, rookie year, etc. all over again, even when this guy already might be an endorsed medic, signed off as a DPO and driving, etc. The gaining department losses getting qualified guys out to their stations and into the community sooner, and the new hire is back at the bottom of the totem pole. If an accelerated class is true, then again, it's a step in the right direction.

Comment

• Calls are starting to go out - I received mine on Monday, Paramedic with no fire, and a buddy of mine got the call this morning. He has FF/EMT. No word on any type of accelerated academy, though I've heard that rumor as well. We're slated to start Jan 13.

Good luck all!

Comment

• Adenosine6
                  Where do you work, brother?

Congrats, flightdream

Comment

• Flightdream, I also got the call Monday. I'm a medic with no fire experience as well.

Comment

• Congratulations to you guys that are starting to get job offers. Getting hired here takes a lot of hard work, perseverance, and luck. Take a moment and enjoy the accomplishment. Great, now start getting in shape, if you already haven’t done so. If anyone has questions or needs some assistance relocating to the area feel free to shot me an email. Housing in this area can be a very expensive and a nightmare to try and locate in short notice. There are a small number of firefighters that offer rooms in their homes to newly hired recruits at a fraction of what housing will cost you if you try to rent. The previous regime in recruitment was very proactive in getting this information out to new hires, I get the feeling that the current staff is not. Good Luck and let me know if I can help. [email protected]

Comment

• Have all calls been made for the class beginning January 13th?

Comment

• For the guys who got a call, what did you guys score on the written to get this far? I'm a medic that will be taking the next test in January any tips would be great on how to prepare for the written.

Comment

• I have 1-3 rooms available in my house starting in January. If any new recruits are in need of a place close to stay during the academy, PM me. The home is located in MD by the DC/Fairfax border, I work for a county dept here in MD.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adenosine6 View Post
                              That sounds about right. Chief Bowers most recent newsletter does mention an "accelerated" recruit class to get FS442 open in July 2014; it could be 136(B), joining 136(A) at a later date, and sharing the same graduation date.

The experienced/inexperienced thing was the first I ever heard. But it was honestly refreshing to hear, even if it turns out not to be true. As a side discussion, the fire service is the only job I know of that shoots itself in the foot because we treat new guys with years of experience as rookies or worst, recruits all over again. Example being, I work for a neighboring NOVA department next to Fairfax. Every NOVA department in the COG uses NOVA Ops as our SOPs/SOGs. If a 3-5 year hire wants to transfer to another NOVA department to finish out his 25, then boom- It's back to basic recruit school for six months, rookie year, etc. all over again, even when this guy already might be an endorsed medic, signed off as a DPO and driving, etc. The gaining department losses getting qualified guys out to their stations and into the community sooner, and the new hire is back at the bottom of the totem pole. If an accelerated class is true, then again, it's a step in the right direction.
                              I've seen a number of departments out west do laterals with abbreviated academies. It only makes sense. It costs the department less, and you're getting experienced people, who have left a (presumed) stepping stone department, and work here because it's where they really want to work.

The specialty opportunities for medics here are changing for the better. We have four Technician (first promotion from basic FF) specialties - Apparatus, EMS, Hazmat, and TROT. Formerly, medics were largely excluded from specialty technician exams (you need to be placed in, and certify in, the Hazmat and TROT Tech schools). The selection criteria were kept secret, and some EMS Techs, including me, were told "You're taking a promotion from someone else by going for Hazmat or TROT." It makes no sense. My response was that I was vacating an EMS Tech spot by making Hazmat or TROT tech, so I wasn't taking a position away from anyone - there's an EMS Tech spot available, that I've given up. The typical result was that only a few medics would get in the class. I know a number of people that have had to go outside of the county to get their Hazmat Tech cert.

Lately, there were more medics in the TROT program, and this Hazmat Class is all medics. In the past, medics rarely, if ever, rode Truck companies. No medics, to my knowledge, were ever assigned to ride a truck, unless they were an Apparatus Tech with an ALS cert. Now, the county is planning to upstaff five truck companies from three to four, with the fourth spot being a dedicated "truck medic" position. Currently one (Heavy) Rescue Squad is ALS, with plans to make the other seven squads ALS as well.

On the flip side, there used to be an EMS Lt position. The county decided to require any future LT's to be "All Hazards", which means fire and medic if they're ALS, no more EMS only. The medic LT's are slowly phasing out, and the newer LT's with ALS certs are getting stuck on medics much of the time. It seems that the department's answer is to let that run it's course, and instead certify EMS techs to be preceptors, which qualifies them to perform the same duties as an EMS Lt. So, the EMS command structure is dwindling, and the county is having Techs do the job of EMS Lt's, for cheaper, and with no rank. At least, the All Hazards ALS Lt's can get off of the medic units, I suppose. I just hope that this doesn't result in there being many engine companies with a dual hazard ALS LT or Capt. assigned, with the medic being routinely bumped off the engine to ride a medic unit. I guess we'll see how this all plays out in the next year or two.

Regardless, Fairfax is still a great place to work. I would prefer that it be busier, and by busier I mean with more interesting calls, other than routine smells/bells, minor MVA's, and non-acute (to put it politely) EMS calls.

Comment

• Is anyone else testing on February 8th? I'll be making the trip down from Ohio.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X