Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been told by a friend there is a Sept and an April class, I was just hoping they had not picked for Sept yet. When did your buddy get notified? Guess I will keep fingers crossed for april!

Comment

• Hey All:
      Ohio guy here. I go back in October to complete rest of the testing process. I passed my CPAT back in March, so it's been quite a wait. I'm currently in medic school and will finish next March.

Anyone know for sure how many and when the 2013 academies are slated for? Are they snatching medics right up? Or has that slowed down too with the rest of the hiring?

Good luck to everyone else in the process!

Comment

• Originally posted by marbuckle
        Met with the hiring captain last week.. September candidates are already picked so the Spring recruit school is the next up for selection due to start in April. They do split emt/medic classes of 30.
        Thanks for the info marbuckle! I'm assuming that getting my medic cert a month before the April class starts won't be enough time in advance to get selected. But I'm sure anything's possible. Oh well, I guess I'll be looking to hopefully get selected for next fall then.

Good luck to ya!

Comment

• Hey Guys new to this thread. I am a NREMT-P from Illinois and interested in applying. I have just read the first few pages on here. So I apologize if I missed the answers to my questions. I am wondering if anything has changed since 2006? What if any stages of the hiring process can be combined to possibly limit traveling? Do they accept out of state/Illinois CPAT? I understand that the cost of living is high in the county. Is it possible to locate to outside areas that are less expensive?

Comment

• I lived in Illinois before I got hired and they took the CPAT from Illinois. Just make sure that the CPAT place is accredited. Even if they dont accept your CPAT card...they do it here and will schedule it as part of your testing. As far as the hiring process I came out for 3-4 days and did all of the testing in one shot. My wife came with me and we had time to drive around the area to check out housing. Good luck!

Comment

• So I go to complete my medical exam this week. Can anyone tell me specifics of the treadmill test? How fast and long does it go? I know they put a 12-lead on...Are they just looking for dysrhythmias during exercise or more stuff?

What about a respiratory test?

Does anyone know what a "Class A rating" actually means? I've seen people ask & respond to the question, but very generally. I'm not in top-top shape, but not horrible either. No medical conditions.

Any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Comment

• I'm guessing this is a rolling hiring list? I took my written back in late summer 2011? and passed the CPAT in December of 2011. Then they scheduled me for my first polygraph in May 2012 but had to reschedule due to the buildings AC not working and the room temperature was near 90. Got Rescheduled for some time around july 2012 and a red flag came up on one of the questions but they wanted me to come back to do the polygraph again! Just did my second polygraph last week and was told everything looked good.

The only steps left are interview and medical but im curious to know if you guys tested the same time as me or what the steps to the process really are (I applied as fire/emt). I don't know anyone over in fairfax so i get very little information. Hopefully i get more info soon since i just finished the polygraph stage but any extra info would be great.

Comment

• Thanks again marbuckle!

Yeah I'm out of state, so I'm going down to do the psych, poly, & medical over 3 days. I applied as a FF/EMT but currently in medic school and will be done in march. I know I won't be seriously looked at until I'm a certified medic....obviously as long as the rest of my testing goes ok.

Comment

• After pretty much looking through a good portion of this thread i see a lot of great info. One question i do have though is about the Psych Test. Today i received a email saying i passed my poly and moved on to medical. I know what medical consists of and i have passed it in many places. I'm really curious about this psych test though. What is it? haha what would a candidate have to do during it? how are we tested/scored? how long does it take? How to be successful during a psych test?

Just wondering if anyone can give a little insight on this, it would be a big help. I've looked all over for those answers and can't really find any. I probably won't have mine until January or February 2013.

Also, i see that Septembers class was already picked and started and that some are saying next class is April 2013. If i have my psych test and pass in February I'll be finished. Any chance i get selected for April's class?

Thanks in advanced

Comment

• Originally posted by b_stevens View Post
                      After pretty much looking through a good portion of this thread i see a lot of great info. One question i do have though is about the Psych Test. Today i received a email saying i passed my poly and moved on to medical. I know what medical consists of and i have passed it in many places. I'm really curious about this psych test though. What is it? haha what would a candidate have to do during it? how are we tested/scored? how long does it take? How to be successful during a psych test?

Just wondering if anyone can give a little insight on this, it would be a big help. I've looked all over for those answers and can't really find any. I probably won't have mine until January or February 2013.

Also, i see that Septembers class was already picked and started and that some are saying next class is April 2013. If i have my psych test and pass in February I'll be finished. Any chance i get selected for April's class?

Thanks in advanced
                      Psych eval consists of several scantron type tests - if I remember correctly its 2 personality inventories and an IQ test. After you take the test, they tell you to go grab lunch for a while to give them time to score your tests. Then you come back and have an interview with the psychiatrist. Youll be graded as either "Recommend," "Recommend with reservation," or "Not recommended." Its nothing that you can really study for. The personality inventories are True/False with statements like - "I often feel blue" and "People usually like me". just be yourself and be honest. The tests have built in lie detectors (i guess thats what you call them??...) - sets of questions that can tell if you arent being honest due to inconsistencies in your answers. Shouldn't be anything to stress about unless you have something to hide. Good luck!
                      Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Comment

• There is also a "structured interview" after your written psych exam where the psychologist goes over your history again like work experience, criminial background, etc. Its basicay like answering the job application all over again as he writes it down. Plan on atleast 3 hours for the written portion. There's close to 800 questions total. Not difficult, just long.

As for getting hired for April......from what I hear consistently from others, if you are not a certified paramedic, it is exponentially more difficult to be hired. If you are a medic, the chances are much better. I finish medic school in March. As perfect as April would be for to get picked, I'm not banking on it, more like next fall. However, one guy told me theres no absolute recipe to get hired. Anything can happen.

Make sure to get your apps out to other F.D.s too!

Comment

• I applied for the FF position back in November of last year. It's been going at a steady pace, i took my physical exam last week, i couldn't take the x-ray due to the tech not being there. Called her up and scheduled it for this upcoming Monday. Got a call asking about it not a bad call. Then got a call maybe 2 hours later from Annie stating they wanted to me to go ahead and take the psych exam in 2 weeks. I hope there is a class sooner than April but I'll just be grateful to be allowed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by phillyphill View Post
                            I applied for the FF position back in November of last year. It's been going at a steady pace, i took my physical exam last week, i couldn't take the x-ray due to the tech not being there. Called her up and scheduled it for this upcoming Monday. Got a call asking about it not a bad call. Then got a call maybe 2 hours later from Annie stating they wanted to me to go ahead and take the psych exam in 2 weeks. I hope there is a class sooner than April but I'll just be grateful to be allowed in.
                            Hey phillyphill, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you...I have my physical Jan. 3 though and then things will go from there hopefully. As far as i can tell by the info on here the next class will be in April and it would be split half medics and half ff/emt's. I've been searching for more info on this the past few days and haven't found much. I know that once our file is "Complete" it will be active for four years? i believe that's what Capt. said on test day but everything i see here says two years. Maybe things changed due to the renovations of the training academy or maybe i just misheard. Any chance you know if the people who applied for the FF/EMT positions last November are going to be the only eligible people for the ff/emt slots for the upcoming classes? I know the previous ff/emt application to ours was way back in june 2010. Wondering if anyone would still be eligible from that list or if it had completely expired yet.

Anyways, good luck with the rest of the process...I'm hoping to have things done in time to have a chance to be selected for the April's class.

Comment

• I have no idea, my best friend who is a ff for ffx said he thinks there is a class in jan. I know that's what capt said during my written test last year. But whenever it is good luck. Every person ive met along the way has been really nice.

Comment

• Anyone work as a medic part or full-time in the Fairfax County Hospitals or hospitals in the surrounding area? Is it a good job? Decent pay?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X