fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Suppressor View Post
    That would be me. Pending couple of things. 3 years were a loooooooong time. Thanks to the economy.
    You in the next class?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
      You in the next class?
      Well, lets say almost. Like I said, I'm waiting for couple things to be done. So I'm holding on to my happy dance 'til I'm certain.

Comment

There are people here who just want this as a stepping stone job while they take classes and then want to leave to another field. you're taking the job away from someone who will do this for 25-30 years and love it.
        Sadly, this is very true. I met another medic applicant when I was down at the public safety building months back and this was his view. I could not believe what I was hearing!

Comment

• Hey all. Just checking back. This coming October, I am scheduled to complete the six steps (cpat, written, polygraph, medical phys, capt interview, and psych)over a three day period. any pointers for those of us in this position? I feel good about this, especially since word is that there will be an academy come spring. Thanks! Dane

Comment

Step increases would be cool to
            who needs steps when we just got our 1.52% increase. haha

That is a drawback with being in a well known department with good training. People will come here for resume builders and then jet to federal jobs after a couple years.

And in response to your 3 day ordeal Dane, in the past for out of state interests they usually schedule physical, poly, and psyche after you passed CPAT and written at a prior date. Not sure how HR/Recruitment is doing it now, but the shortest part is the CPAT. Psyche exam and interview were probably the longest. Just plan on being busy for the 3 days if you are doing the entire process.

Comment

• Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
              who needs steps when we just got our 1.52% increase. haha

That is a drawback with being in a well known department with good training. People will come here for resume builders and then jet to federal jobs after a couple years.

And in response to your 3 day ordeal Dane, in the past for out of state interests they usually schedule physical, poly, and psyche after you passed CPAT and written at a prior date. Not sure how HR/Recruitment is doing it now, but the shortest part is the CPAT. Psyche exam and interview were probably the longest. Just plan on being busy for the 3 days if you are doing the entire process.
              Fairfax is surely a dept. I plan on making a solid career out of,
              I believe I'm scheduled for the CPAT first thing.
              Good stuff, thanks

Comment

All of the job offers for the next class should have gone out already. My understanding is that the basics that were offered jobs were ones that were on the list for a long time. I've been told by a member of the dept that his son is on the list, but didn't get chosen, and that the time of completion of the process was a factor. This is why I've said that you should start processes for several, if not most of the area depts. you may get overlooked for Fairfax, but an offer from a neighboring dept can come through a month, six months, or a year later, unexpectedly.

It's not uncommon for someone to accept the job offer, then change their mind a few days out, not show up on the first or second day, or even get injured in the first week or two. You should stay in contact with recruitment and tell them that you would be highly interested in filling the spot at a monent's notice if one of these situations should occur. Also, the next class is supposed to overlap this one, and it could include FF's, although it won't at the moment. A dozen FF's or so isn't going to plug up the sick leave, injury leave, and annual leave slots.

One more thing, if you're just taking the job "for a goof," then do us all a favor and just go to school now and then find a career doing what you really want to do. There are people here who just want this as a stepping stone job while they take classes and then want to leave to another field. you're taking the job away from someone who will do this for 25-30 years and love it. IIRC, the county spends around $100k the hire and train a FF, and $150k for medics. That money will need to be needlessly spent again to hire someone else to replace you when you leave. That money could instead be spent on hiring an extra FF for a recruit school, to address staffing and deployment issues, on equipment, for another TROT or Hazmat School, or Officer/Instructor courses, or maybe the county can go back to reimbursing for more than one class a semester! Step increases would be cool to
                Don't knock folks for the way their life takes them down the path. One of the best trauma surgeons at Fairfax Hospital started his path to emergency medicine as a Fairfax County Firefighter, everyone in the area is better off for him taking that path. The FF/EMT job lead him to medic school, then to medical school. Had he gone to law school as was a possible alternative, there might be a few lives that have not been saved over the last fifteen or so years. I even know of a Battalion Chief in FFX who only planed on the job being a stepping stone, but stayed on, so you never know how life will turn out. I won't discourage ANYONE from trying this job. Many who plan to stay on for thirty will drop out after the first day of PT; others who don't know what they want in life right now will find it to be their true calling and stay until they are forced into retirement.

Sure it is frustrating to see folks take that short time path when you don't get hired on, but guess what? You just did not measure up at that particular point in time, keep trying.
                Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Something in Sept. or Oct. definitely, and the word is that they're going back to stacking classes, which means that the 133rd will start two months or so after the 132nd, with both classes running concurrently for two months roughly.
                  Confirmed on stacking 132 and 133. Also, a slot open for 132. FF/EMT though. EDPMEDIC is reliable as it gets.

Comment

• Going up in Oct to finish out my process over three days, Hoping that I pass the last couple tests and get my name in for the next RC. Hoping that the second time around will work! Good luck.

Comment

• Just got off tour to come home and find the rest of my paperwork for Oct. Deff. a good feeling to know I'm almost done w/ the process. But the waiting...... I could do w/o.

Comment

• I've got my polygraph and interview next Friday. They are my last 2 steps. So if I pass, what is the likelihood of being in the spring class? I'm a paramedic and have scored very well on my written test and psychological... Just curious how many other medics are ahead of me.
                        Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Comment

• I just got done with everything two weeks ago. How long does it take for them to let us know that we passed everything? There were several people testing when I went through, but most of them were finishing medic school pending to take the registry test.

Comment

• I took my polygraph, psych, and physical at the end of June. I have received word from previous employers that they have received the employment verification forms. I was wondering from people who have been through this process, what is the next step?

Thanks

Comment

• I had my psych, polygraph, and physical the last week of June. I found out that the county sent out employment verifications. I was wondering what the next step is?

Comment

• Originally posted by scarney410 View Post
                                I had my psych, polygraph, and physical the last week of June. I found out that the county sent out employment verifications. I was wondering what the next step is?
                                Wait......and wait.....and wait.
                                Meanwhile don't quit your day job and apply for more departments if you already haven't. If you are applying for FF/Medic, wait shouldn't be too long if you are qualified. FF/EMT on the other hand has loooooong time to go. Once in awhile keep in contact with recruitment for update on your information (like graduation from college, etc..). Keeping in contact with them will let them know that you want this job. Just don't overdo it. Also, keep your credit history clean, don't get in trouble. Don't do something stupid and get yourself injured and keep yourself healthy and ready for the academy if they do call. Also, absolutely no DUI, or you can kiss this job goodbye.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X