Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Anyone? Anything?
    Patiently/impatiently waiting still. Optimistic.

Comment

• I have my polygraph and interview the first Friday in September. Based on what I'm reading, that means I probably not going to make it in this fall's class if I pass?

Do they go off test scores? Or is it first come, first served? I'm hoping my test score will help me slip into the next class...
      Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Comment

• Hiring process is based on pass or fail, not how well you did it on written or CPAT. Only when you complete the entire process, your file is put on the "complete" list. Think of complete list as a stack of paper and as more applicants complete the process, they get put on the bottom of the list. Then as the completed file on top of the stack either reaches its expiration date or get approved for an academy, only then your file moves up on the stack. Of course if an applicant has other attributes that FFX Fire&Rescue looks for (such as medic certs), they'll move up to the top of the list regardless of when they applied first. Your chance of getting hired is significantly higher if you have a medic certification.

One of the first goal of the FFX Fire&Rescue recruitment ( or any fire department recruitment for that matter) is to keep the pool of completed applicants ready so that they can roster up academy trainee as needed without delay. When I was going through the hiring process there was about 4000 people who were going through the process. How many completed the process, I don't know, but I am one of them. Still not hired though, just my file is on the completed stack.

Key thing is be patient. Also, I wouldn't count too much on scoring high on a test or smoking a CPAT session. Score on those MAY come into play if there is a 2 applicants who completed the hiring process at the same time and only thing to differentiate the two would be the scores from those. CPAT don't really even count because the CPAT completion certification is only good for one year.

Good news is that the state of Virginia was at 300 million in surplus so maybe FFX county can hire more people.
        Last edited by Suppressor; 07-24-2011, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suppressor View Post
          Hiring process is based on pass or fail, not how well you did it on written or CPAT. Only when you complete the entire process, your file is put on the "complete" list. Think of complete list as a stack of paper and as more applicants complete the process, they get put on the bottom of the list. Then as the completed file on top of the stack either reaches its expiration date or get approved for an academy, only then your file moves up on the stack. Of course if an applicant has other attributes that FFX Fire&Rescue looks for (such as medic certs), they'll move up to the top of the list regardless of when they applied first. Your chance of getting hired is significantly higher if you have a medic certification.

One of the first goal of the FFX Fire&Rescue recruitment ( or any fire department recruitment for that matter) is to keep the pool of completed applicants ready so that they can roster up academy trainee as needed without delay. When I was going through the hiring process there was about 4000 people who were going through the process. How many completed the process, I don't know, but I am one of them. Still not hired though, just my file is on the completed stack.

Key thing is be patient. Also, I wouldn't count too much on scoring high on a test or smoking a CPAT session. Score on those MAY come into play if there is a 2 applicants who completed the hiring process at the same time and only thing to differentiate the two would be the scores from those. CPAT don't really even count because the CPAT completion certification is only good for one year.

Good news is that the state of Virginia was at 300 million in surplus so maybe FFX county can hire more people.
          Can't say how it is done in 2011, but a few years ago test scores for FFX did seperate you out from all those that tested on the same day as you. Score higher than the guy next to you at the written and the guy before you at CPAT and even though you both passed, you did get put in that stack on top of them. Passing moved you on to the next stage, but those scores did decide a bit on the order that you got called for the next phase. Don't aim for "good enough", always give it your best, because it very well can come into play in deciding if you make the numbers cut into a class or not.

Oh yeah, and it is the "Commonwealth of Virginia" not the state of Virginia, and I would not count on that money coming to Fairfax Fire and Rescue, the County can take good enough care of itself.
          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• That was few years ago when I started my application. Thanks for correcting some information, Dennis. Another thing is that there are some subjectivity so show your desire to work at FFX Fire&Rescue department and show confidence, not cockiness. Also, note, always call the department "Fairfax county Fire&Rescue" not a Fairfax county fire department.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suppressor View Post
              Hiring process is based on pass or fail, not how well you did it on written or CPAT. Only when you complete the entire process, your file is put on the "complete" list. Think of complete list as a stack of paper and as more applicants complete the process, they get put on the bottom of the list. Then as the completed file on top of the stack either reaches its expiration date or get approved for an academy, only then your file moves up on the stack. Of course if an applicant has other attributes that FFX Fire&Rescue looks for (such as medic certs), they'll move up to the top of the list regardless of when they applied first. Your chance of getting hired is significantly higher if you have a medic certification.

How they choose who to appoint to the next academy is a mystery, unless you work for recruitment. I know that preferred qualifications such as a P-card will move you up. Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine. It's unknown to me if they hire on merit, such as high test scores, quotas, or some combination of the two. As it is when the dept creates any list, such as appointment to the TROT, Hazmat, Truck, or ALS school, inclusion to the Wel-Fit ACE personal trainer program for example, what you need to do to make yourself more competitive is usually not revealed. For example, the last Hazmat school list was based on straight seniority, and virtually no EMS techs. Officers were excluded as well from what I understand. The rationale for who they chose and why is vaguely justified as "The business needs of the department." Basically, who they choose for what and why is usually kept secretive. For hiring, though, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
              "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                How they choose who to appoint to the next academy is a mystery, unless you work for recruitment. I know that preferred qualifications such as a P-card will move you up. Otherwise, your guess is as good as mine. It's unknown to me if they hire on merit, such as high test scores, quotas, or some combination of the two. As it is when the dept creates any list, such as appointment to the TROT, Hazmat, Truck, or ALS school, inclusion to the Wel-Fit ACE personal trainer program for example, what you need to do to make yourself more competitive is usually not revealed. For example, the last Hazmat school list was based on straight seniority, and virtually no EMS techs. Officers were excluded as well from what I understand. The rationale for who they chose and why is vaguely justified as "The business needs of the department." Basically, who they choose for what and why is usually kept secretive. For hiring, though, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
                Good to know. Any word on the fall class?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deluge059 View Post
                  Good to know. Any word on the fall class?
                  Something in Sept. or Oct. definitely, and the word is that they're going back to stacking classes, which means that the 133rd will start two months or so after the 132nd, with both classes running concurrently for two months roughly. The money's slowly getting better I suppose. They need to hire 40 medics a year IIRC, and at least that many FF's if not more, from what I can see with the callback (OT) pages going out. They're using the Hazmat promotional list, which is pretty much all FF's pretty soon, and the TROT class that's going on right now is pretty much all non-medics as well, from what I've heard. Those upcoming FF vacancies left by the tech promotions will need to be filled at some point.
                  "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Check your PMs and thanks for all the great info.

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                      Something in Sept. or Oct. definitely, and the word is that they're going back to stacking classes, which means that the 133rd will start two months or so after the 132nd, with both classes running concurrently for two months roughly. The money's slowly getting better I suppose. They need to hire 40 medics a year IIRC, and at least that many FF's if not more, from what I can see with the callback (OT) pages going out. They're using the Hazmat promotional list, which is pretty much all FF's pretty soon, and the TROT class that's going on right now is pretty much all non-medics as well, from what I've heard. Those upcoming FF vacancies left by the tech promotions will need to be filled at some point.
                      If they are going back to stacking classes, that's lot of expected FF vacancies! And that's a great news!
                      Last edited by Suppressor; 07-27-2011, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• I am a FF/Medic and recently took all the testing. I Was told I have to go back for a specific Poly, unsure why. Hopefully everything works out. Anyone have an idea of what a Specific Poly is?

Comment

• Originally posted by tandt23 View Post
                          I am a FF/Medic and recently took all the testing. I Was told I have to go back for a specific Poly, unsure why. Hopefully everything works out. Anyone have an idea of what a Specific Poly is?

See this.

http://www.polygraphinfo.com/?page_id=5
                          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

• Originally posted by tandt23 View Post
                            I am a FF/Medic and recently took all the testing. I Was told I have to go back for a specific Poly, unsure why. Hopefully everything works out. Anyone have an idea of what a Specific Poly is?
                            You and a whole bunch of other people. I had to do it myself. They're probably trying to fish for some sort of damaging confession from you. Think about it, if you were being deceptive in the first place, why wouldn't they just disqualify you? It's because a poly is only an intimidation tool to push you to confess whatever it is you may be hiding. There's no real science behind those things; the real value comes from the detective using their education and training to tell if you're lying by how you act, what you say, mannerisms, etc.

Comment

• As a Fire/Medic applicant, I just heard news that my file is now complete and up for review when the selection panel meets. Fairfax County Fire & Rescue was very accommodating in the process as I did the written/poly/medical/psych over three days, being I came from out of state. I could not thank them enough for this.

Edit: I also wanted to note that I was told by recruitment a few months ago that the 132nd in the fall will be 12 medics, 12 FFs. 133rd will be all medics. Hope that helps those who are processed. Unless things have changed, best of luck come the selections!
                              Last edited by Adenosine6; 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adenosine6 View Post
                                As a Fire/Medic applicant, I just heard news that my file is now complete and up for review when the selection panel meets. Fairfax County Fire & Rescue was very accommodating in the process as I did the written/poly/medical/psych over three days, being I came from out of state. I could not thank them enough for this.

Edit: I also wanted to note that I was told by recruitment a few months ago that the 132nd in the fall will be 12 medics, 12 FFs. 133rd will be all medics. Hope that helps those who are processed. Unless things have changed, best of luck come the selections!
                                HR informed me of the same, that my file was complete. I guess sometime soon the committee will meet and begin to select people.

Adenosine, where did you come from? I came from South Florida and recruitment told me there were several FFs from my area who applied, but I know of none!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X