Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that normal for them to hold onto guys for so long without any notification?
    Correct me if im wrong, but the last all medic class was the 130th in october, and the most recent (the 131st) was half medic/half bls in march.

To the guys who passed everything before either of these classes, they have yet to notify you of anything?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deluge059 View Post
      Is that normal for them to hold onto guys for so long without any notification?
      Correct me if im wrong, but the last all medic class was the 130th in october, and the most recent (the 131st) was half medic/half bls in march.

To the guys who passed everything before either of these classes, they have yet to notify you of anything?
      I have heard that is the case. I know of five of us in the same time frame on the waiting list. We all keep in touch and call HR every month or email to get up dated. There has been a back lodge of medics when those storms cost the county alot of money back in 2010 so they delayed the class for 4 to 5 months later. even before that there was 20 or so on a waiting list with that class full. We are all out of state so I dont know if they take in-state over out of state medic?

Comment

• Originally posted by ETmedic252 View Post
        I have heard that is the case. I know of five of us in the same time frame on the waiting list. We all keep in touch and call HR every month or email to get up dated. There has been a back lodge of medics when those storms cost the county alot of money back in 2010 so they delayed the class for 4 to 5 months later. even before that there was 20 or so on a waiting list with that class full. We are all out of state so I dont know if they take in-state over out of state medic?
        Ok. Yeah im out of state too. Does your group have any firefighting experience or extra certs/degrees? Im just wondering if any of that makes a difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deluge059 View Post
          Ok. Yeah im out of state too. Does your group have any firefighting experience or extra certs/degrees? Im just wondering if any of that makes a difference.
          I have no degree which I think that maybe the problem. I do have a lot of fire and ems certs on top of the medic and level 2 firefighter card. I have 8 years with a fire card and 3 years with a medic card. Whats your story?

Comment

• Originally posted by ETmedic252 View Post
            Whats your story?
            Im working as a career Fire/Medic at a busy South Florida Department, been here a few years. Many certs, HazMat, TRT, Dive Rescue. Bachelors in Fire Science, Associates in EMS and fluent in spanish (im pretty sure that helps too).

Good luck man

Comment

• Hi all. Just emailed my app this afternoon and was emailed back the list of stuff to send back. I know Fairfax is highly respected and am sure this is going to be a competitive process. Word is they're hiring 40+ medics within the next few months? This is good news. Good luck and feel free to let me know if you're in the same boat as I! Dane

Comment

• Originally posted by DaneHarvey View Post
                Hi all. Just emailed my app this afternoon and was emailed back the list of stuff to send back. I know Fairfax is highly respected and am sure this is going to be a competitive process. Word is they're hiring 40+ medics within the next few months? This is good news. Good luck and feel free to let me know if you're in the same boat as I! Dane
                I would expect classes of 20 +/- 5 as a rough number until the economy improves. We used to run 3-4 schools a year, overlapping schools, but not since early 2008. My class, the 126th, began in August/2008, April for the ALS pre-hires. We're only up to the 131st, which went in sometime in May this year IIRC, to give you an idea. The 132nd should be in Oct, I would guess. Maybe April or so for the 133rd I would think. We're still tight on our budget, so I don't see us running more than two classes a year unless somehting changes.

That's my best educated guess. Nothing's written in stone around here.
                "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• If we were to be hired, would they call us or send letters out?

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                    I would expect classes of 20 +/- 5 as a rough number until the economy improves. We used to run 3-4 schools a year, overlapping schools, but not since early 2008. My class, the 126th, began in August/2008, April for the ALS pre-hires. We're only up to the 131st, which went in sometime in May this year IIRC, to give you an idea. The 132nd should be in Oct, I would guess. Maybe April or so for the 133rd I would think. We're still tight on our budget, so I don't see us running more than two classes a year unless somehting changes.

That's my best educated guess. Nothing's written in stone around here.
                    I appreciate the input. If I have any questions (I'm sure I might), I will let you know! Dane

Comment

• Hey everyone,

I completed the process last month and waiting to hear any news. I did this more just to see what would happen but it would be an honor to work for fairfax county fire dept. I guess its just hurry up and wait right now. Good luck to everyone else in the process. I hope to find out in the next month on the next academy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Genesis1 View Post
                        If we were to be hired, would they call us or send letters out?
                        I too would like to know. As well as, when they do hire for the next class, how much notice do they usually give before the class starts? A month or two?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Passed my medical screening and written test on Thursday. Whats a good score for the I/O test? I scored a 95.4% cumulative... Just curious because I took the exact same test for Howard County a couple years ago and they said I didn't score high enough to move on.

Only have my poly and psych left to go and I should be ready to roll!! I'm getting excited now.
                          Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Comment

• Any word on selections or a date for the next class (Fall?)

I talked to Fire Recruitment last week and they informed me nothing official yet, but soon they will be making selections. So i'm wondering, how soon?
                            Im getting fully cleared medically next week (had some discrepancies) but once im cleared I should be good to go.

A guy I work with informed me a friend of his is in the process too and said that he has been "unofficially" selected for the next class, meaning he knows he is in based on word he has heard, but hasn't gotten any offers yet.

Does this happen?
                            Im just nervous I won't get cleared in time and they will overlook me (if they want me at all!! Lol)

Thanks

Comment

• Anyone? Anything?

Comment

• Reading through the thread it looks like notice is given about a month before the start dates (average).

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X