Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesct
    Did you appeal from the polygraph in FX county? What was your basis and how did you win it?
    Well, the county's official rejection was 'over discepencies in my polygraph'. Funny, during my appeal with the fire chief, my poly never came up.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

Originally posted by wnwd00
      The only way to "get out of it" is to have the department agree or to get promoted.
      How does a promotion exclude you from the "contract" you sign? Doesn't a promotion include the EMS side of the equation? What type of promotion are we talking about?

i have a friend who was hired for the 115, with his national registry I results pending, he got the results week 2 or 3 of the academy, they called him in, told him to study and if he failed again he would be terminated.
      Assuming that their completion of medic training and pending test results were a major consideration for being hired, how did your friend set that all up with recruitment? I'm going to be in a similar position and would like to accelerate the hiring process if possible. Thanks for any information!

Comment

you sign a job description if hired as a firemedic and you are employed as a firemedic until you get a promotion then you have a new job description that as long as it is not a EMS technician does not require you to maintain ALS certification. so that is how that works.

it seems that my friend in the 115 sat for his registry I test, and there was a spot in the class that needed to be filled with an ALS person, and they hired him assuming he would pass. it turns out he failed the written the first time while in the academy, and he was told he would be fired if he did not pass the written the second time. thankfully he did.

Comment

until you get a promotion then you have a new job description that as long as it is not a EMS technician does not require you to maintain ALS certification.
          Is technician or Lieutenant the next logical promotion to go for after being a ffmedic? Do you have to maintain ALS as a lieutenant? I'm a little confused as to how it all works - i.e. do you have to "switch" to supression when you go for the promotion. Or, as a straight lieutenant, can you then consider dropping ALS? I WANT to be a medic but I'm just trying to think about the future and what all the options may be in case I don't like it after I've actually been doing it a while.

Also, who pays for the re-testing (every two years?) and the hours required for a re-cert?

Thanks all!!

Comment

Okay, see if this is clear as mud:

A Fire Medic can test for Technician (EMS, Tech Rescue, HazMat or Apparatus) after about 23 months out of rookie school. The EMS Technician rank is the only rank that REQUIRES ALS at this time, but if you use your ALS "career development points" on the exams for the others, you must keep your ALS for a period of time that I do not know after being promoted.

A Fire Medic can ALSO test for Lieutenant (EMS or Supression... soon to be merged to one) after 35 months out of rookie school. The rules are the same as listed above.

Recertification requirements and costs are taken care of by Fairfax County. You go to continuing education several times per year and then take the OMDs 'recert test' when you are ready to recert.

Comment

So if you pass the test (for a non ems promotion for instance), you get the promotion, period. Or do they have other "subjective" methods factored in (interviews, past reviews, etc.)?

Do they make it harder for ALS certified medics to "switch" to a non ems position with a promotion? I'm sure they try and discourage this somehow, yes??

Also, per your comment..."(EMS or Supression... soon to be merged to one)" When are they expected to be merged and what will the end result be? How will this affect a Lieutenant having to keep their ALS cert?

Comment

So if you pass the test (for a non ems promotion for instance), you get the promotion, period. Or do they have other "subjective" methods factored in (interviews, past reviews, etc.)?
                Well, you pass the written and practical tests and then your written score is factored in (percentages vary with rank) with your time in grade and career development points. From that, you are placed on a ranked list.

Do they make it harder for ALS certified medics to "switch" to a non ems position with a promotion? I'm sure they try and discourage this somehow, yes??
                Not really. They actually make it easier with the added career development points for ALS certification.

Also, per your comment..."(EMS or Supression... soon to be merged to one)" When are they expected to be merged and what will the end result be? How will this affect a Lieutenant having to keep their ALS cert?
                They will merge very soon... I'm not totally surw when the first test will be. All that means is that "a lieutenant is a lieutenant is a lieutenant" As it stands right now, EMS Lieutenants ride the OIC seat of the medic unit, but cannot ride the OIC seat of an Engine, Ladder or Squad. After the merge, if you are an ALS certified Lieutenant, you can ride the fright-ront seat of anything you are certified for.

Comment

How long does it typically take these days to get promoted? I recently heard that there are a lot of "chiefs" and not enough Indians. Is FXFD bloated in the middle with a lot of lieutenants? Do you have to wait until they retire or get promoted further before you can move up?

Great discussion by the way, thanks all for the inside info on FX.

Comment

Well, there is a promotional test for every rank every two years. To date, the lists for EMS, HazMat and Tech Rescue all are exhausted WELL before they expire. Same for EMS Lieutenant.

True, there must be a vacancy before one gets promoted, but if you rate high, even on the Apparatus Tecnicians test, promotion is certian.

Check out the current lists at: http://www.fairfaxfirefighters.org/P...onal_Items.htm

Comment

EMT I's & P's...

Originally posted by Kobersteen
                      The reason why I stress the NR-I and P is that it has been identified as a business need, so those with those certifications are being pushed through the process more rapidly than those without.
                      Back to this discussion if you don't mind. I've heard that the BIG push for I's & P's is sort of over in FY 06 with the goal of 400 ALS providers being reached. I'm looking to finish my I in spring 07. Do you think the need will be as great then? Also, do the recruit classes have "slots" for ALS certified recruits that need to be filled each time? Are they being filled each class?

Many thanks.

Comment

The first of the DROP participants MUST retire in September.

There may be 400 paramedics now, probably 50 - 150 eligible to retire when you have completed your training.

Comment

Originally posted by nlfdrescue8
                          i am a 20yr old firefighter 2/paramedic from ohio near lancaster area looking for a job anywhere. i have heard a lot about fairfax county and see they are a fairly large department. anyone have any input on the department, is it a nice place to work? nice area to move? i wouldnt mind moving for the right job, and any input would be very helpful. thanks

You also might want to check out Loudon county, their application is due 04-28-2006 and there are now 39 stations in FFx county. good luck in the job search

Comment

Originally posted by tucker9
                            Do you think the need will be as great then?

I don't forsee preferential recruitment being taken away from NR-Is and Ps any time soon.

For all else, see my distinguished retired collegue, Mike Ward.

Good luck!

Comment

Medical Test on Friday

Just got scheduled for the medical test on Friday. Besides the physical, what else should I expect? Treadmill, O2 tests, endurance stuff - if so, what's it entail?

THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by tucker9
                                Just got scheduled for the medical test on Friday. Besides the physical, what else should I expect? Treadmill, O2 tests, endurance stuff - if so, what's it entail?

THANKS!
                                Doing my Medical tomorrow afternoon. I'll let you know. Stress test, blood work, PFT? i'm guessing. . . .

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X