Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call recruitment and ask Annie Dawkins whats next.

Comment

• Hey everyone, you need to realize that it's common for a person or two to drop out of the academy in the first week. In my class, we had one medic leave because the mile and a half run at an 11 min. pace on the first two days was apparently too much for him. Another left because his girlfriend moved back to PA, and he didn't want to do the long distance thing. One basic FF was late to orientation by maybe an hour or so, late to the academy the first day, and then was a no-show. Bizarre stuff. That was three just in my class alone. Also, some people do defer the job offer. There are offer letters going out as we speak, but you should still keep up the pressure with recruitment, so that you can get in one of these spots.
      "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by scottodogie View Post
        I took the CPAT in October and passed. I am still waiting to here when to go for the next step they told be waiting to get the rest of candates through. Has any one else heard about when the next step will be?
        I was hired at the very tail end of the hiring frenzy. They would schedule several events for out-of-towners in the same week, to save them trips. Locals would do a day here, a day there, whatever. For example, I did my medical, psych, and poly in three consecutive days. I don't know how it goes now that hiring has slowed, though. They do need more FF's; the 12 they're hiring isn't going to cut it. I suspect the budget is preventing us from hiring more. It does seem that the medic only hiring trend is over, though.
        Last edited by edpmedic; 01-14-2011, 08:51 PM. Reason: grammar
        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• How do they let you know that you are accepted into the academy? Phone or Letter with details?

Comment

• For me, I was contacted by phone, asking if I wanted the position. When I accepted, the Capt then said that she would send me the official offer letter. I was instructed to sign it and bring it to the Massey building during my trip to the county to do my gear/uniform fitting. I was out of state, living in South Carolina at the time. It may be different if you're local, I don't know.

Comment

• [QUOTE=edpmedic;1240740]For me, I was contacted by phone, asking if I wanted the position. When I accepted, the Capt then said that she would send me the official offer letter. I was instructed to sign it and bring it to the Massey building during my trip to the county to do my gear/uniform fitting. I was out of state, living in South Carolina at the time. It may be different if you're local, I don't know.[/QUOTE

Ok sounds good! Thank you sir.

Comment

• Took poly yesterday and failed 1 question. FML. Should I start lookin elsewhere? I wasn't confident in my answer.....Wasn't trying to lie either.......

Comment

• I take mine in a few weeks. How did you fail and what type of questions do they ask? I am confident going into mine .... but stories like these scare me.

Comment

• Just be confident and leave NOTHING (that you consciously know) out. I failed on the drug history question. I couldn't remember EXACTLY what I've done because it was 8 to 16 years ago. What I told him SEEMED right, but didn't FEEL right. THAT was my problem. I sat down at home afterwards and wrote down on paper stuff, it was more than I thought. I felt better afterwards, it FELT right after that. Its wierd. Everyone's head works differently though. 2 friends of mine in different fields failed for the same questions, pretty common it seems. Need to be honest with yourself, and you'll be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slikrthnu View Post
                      Took poly yesterday and failed 1 question. FML. Should I start lookin elsewhere? I wasn't confident in my answer.....Wasn't trying to lie either.......
                      You can appeal the results of the Poly. I know several people on the Dept that took it a second time and passed. My advise would to be completely honest during the interview phase where you are given the chance to explain yourself.

Comment

• Anyone have their CPAT on 1/29? I've only had about a 60 days to really train for it since I took the written on 12/3. I can continuously walk stairs with a 50lb vest on for 10 minutes straight and than perform a fast-paced walk w/ it on for about 2 miles.

Strength wise I can bench 225 lbs about 8 times, do about 12-15 good pull-ups each set, and can do 40-50 push-ups in a row. My respiratory rate during a 3 mile run is pretty good and I normally finish in about 18-20 minutes.

I think they give you 10+minutes to perform all the skills, so I think the only thing I need to practice now is my technique. I'm from Jersey so taking the practice course was a little out of the question. No reason to drive 4 1/2 hours to practice a course.

Let me know if I'm qualified or over-qualified for the course.

Thanks.

Comment

• How do you appeal the results???

Comment

• Originally posted by bigandy View Post
                            Anyone have their CPAT on 1/29? I've only had about a 60 days to really train for it since I took the written on 12/3. I can continuously walk stairs with a 50lb vest on for 10 minutes straight and than perform a fast-paced walk w/ it on for about 2 miles.

Strength wise I can bench 225 lbs about 8 times, do about 12-15 good pull-ups each set, and can do 40-50 push-ups in a row. My respiratory rate during a 3 mile run is pretty good and I normally finish in about 18-20 minutes.

I think they give you 10+minutes to perform all the skills, so I think the only thing I need to practice now is my technique. I'm from Jersey so taking the practice course was a little out of the question. No reason to drive 4 1/2 hours to practice a course.

Thanks.
                            As long as you have the balance to not fall or grab the handrail on the stair climber you will be fine. It is not that tough for someone who is moderately fit.

Call around to you rlocal departments, there is a ggod chance that they have the CPAT course set up and might let you train on it.
                            Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                            -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                            LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigandy View Post
                              Anyone have their CPAT on 1/29? I've only had about a 60 days to really train for it since I took the written on 12/3. I can continuously walk stairs with a 50lb vest on for 10 minutes straight and than perform a fast-paced walk w/ it on for about 2 miles.

Thanks.
                              you should be good to go. Just familiarize yourself with the things that will instantly disqualify you. like the not touching the handrail and also not letting the rope slide in your hands while letting the ladder down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slikrthnu View Post
                                How do you appeal the results???
                                I do not have an exact answer for that. My first step would be to contact recruitment and state your case.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X