Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I received an email/reply from Ms. Dawkins and she said they don't know when the selection will be. She said probably after the holidays. ETmedic252- looks like you and I are in the same boat.

Comment

• when did you finish your process Genesis1? Do you know how many people are in the same boat as us, like people that completed the process?

Comment

• I finished it the first week in November. I am not sure how many. I'm definitely stoked about having the process done.

Comment

• When you took your written test how well did you guys do on it? My CPAT is 1/29

Comment

• I got a 93 on it, I hope thats good! I dont have a degree will that hurt me getting picked? I have NREMT-P and Level 2 firefighter and other certs.

Comment

• good luck man!(Genesis1) I hope both of us are in class! Are you from out of state? I live in Ohio.

Comment

• I got in the 80's I think. Not really sure. I am hoping the same! I am from Ohio as well! I guess just a waiting game!

Comment

• Originally posted by ETmedic252 View Post
                  I got a 93 on it, I hope thats good! I dont have a degree will that hurt me getting picked? I have NREMT-P and Level 2 firefighter and other certs.
                  Your NREMT-P will certainly give a much better shot! Good luck guy. I'm also in the process of finishing up all of my certs. I scored in the high 80's. Wish I did better on it.

Good luck. Hopefully we'll be in the same group that gets hired if/when they hire again.

Comment

• Thanks! I hope you get your certs done and we will be in the next class!

Comment

• Originally posted by ETmedic252 View Post
                      I got a 93 on it, I hope thats good! I dont have a degree will that hurt me getting picked? I have NREMT-P and Level 2 firefighter and other certs.
                      The NR-P is the only cert they care about. Our hiring isn't merit based like past FDNY lists, as far as I know, so things like college and certs don't matter much. You get everything fire related in the academy. There's no published hiring list with rank order. Degrees will be invaluable for promotions, though.
                      "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Any mumbles or grumbles out there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Genesis1 View Post
                          Any mumbles or grumbles out there?
                          Not much, just vague rumors of a combo FF/EMT- FFM class being put through at some point in 2011. The FF callback (OT) has been pretty good lately, which means that they need to hire non-medics.

I love working here, and you will, too. Stay motivated! Get jacked for the CPAT if you haven't taken it already, and motor through it like it's a joke (because it is). You're taken care of really well here, so try and remember that when your getting put through the ringer in the academy.

It's like the FDNY. They haven't hired in quite some time (albeit for different reasons), so at some point it will become more expensive to pay out OT rather than hire basic FF's. They've already lowered the ALS hiring salary from an 18/3 ($56,580/yr IIRC), to an 18/1 (48.877). Other than that, I wouldn't be too worried about any further reductions to starting salary. All the other surrounding depts would have to do the same to make a reduction a non-issue for recruitment.
                          "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                            Not much, just vague rumors of a combo FF/EMT- FFM class being put through at some point in 2011. The FF callback (OT) has been pretty good lately, which means that they need to hire non-medics.

I love working here, and you will, too. Stay motivated! Get jacked for the CPAT if you haven't taken it already, and motor through it like it's a joke (because it is). You're taken care of really well here, so try and remember that when your getting put through the ringer in the academy.

It's like the FDNY. They haven't hired in quite some time (albeit for different reasons), so at some point it will become more expensive to pay out OT rather than hire basic FF's. They've already lowered the ALS hiring salary from an 18/3 ($56,580/yr IIRC), to an 18/1 (48.877). Other than that, I wouldn't be too worried about any further reductions to starting salary. All the other surrounding depts would have to do the same to make a reduction a non-issue for recruitment.
                            I have gone through the entire (medic) process and I am excited to find out what is to come in the future. FF looks and sounds like a great place to work for. epimedic thanks for your information, everyone greatly appreciates it.

Comment

• In an e-mail yesterday, the County's ALS instructors were advised that the 131st Recruit School will begin on March 28. It will be the first combination ALS/BLS class since mine (126th), with 12 medics and 12 basics. When I received my job offer, it was maybe less than a month before the start of the academy. If anyone has already received a job offer, then let us know. This would be the time to press hard with recruitment to get in, finish your testing, whatever the case may be.

Also, it has been brought to my attention that various municipalities, including our own, are currently conducting studies on the benefits of changing our retirement from a defined benefit (pension) to a defined contribution (457, 401k, 403b style retirement). In addition, cities like NY have reduced the benefits and retirement packages to new employees. If hiring gets busy again, I wouldn't roll the dice and defer an offer of employment. You want to be grandfathered in if we do see any changes. This goes for all across the country, not just here.

Comment

• I took the CPAT in October and passed. I am still waiting to here when to go for the next step they told be waiting to get the rest of candates through. Has any one else heard about when the next step will be?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X