Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
    They tested my vision corrected, as in with glasses. They test for glaucoma as well. As far as color, I couldn't see anything past the first two ink blots. No joke. For my pre hire physical, the nurse started pointing to objects around the room such as a yellow pencil, purple pen, etc. I was cracking up afterwards.
    Ok, not too worried then. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
      Don't count yourself out yet, if you did not feel mentally raped and violated after any poly, the guy on the otherside of the machine was not doing his job right.
      I got a letter in the mail stating I have successfully completed the application process at Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, even though I was certain I had failed polygraph. We'll just have to wait and see. Good luck to all, Faifax looks like a bang up department.

Comment

• I hope that all who may have applied and pass everything, get hired!!

Comment

• FD question

Ok, here is a question that I have to admit I am a bit embarassed to ask. Could those of you who are familiar with Fairfax County FD and with Washington DC FD describe some of the merits of either fire department. It looks like I may have the opportunity to choose between both departments as a Firefighter/Medic, and would love to hear some opinions upon which department would be the better choice. I understand opinions are very subjective but any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everybody.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deluge059 View Post
            Quick Question about medicals (even though its a long way off)

How in-depth do they go with eye testing? I wear contacts and have for years, never had an issue with SCBA or anything, but without them, I am blind. Like -5 in each eye.
            Would that be an issue?
            Vision is not a problem, some people are blind as a bat, as long as its corrected with contacts/glasses. The county gives you inserts for the face piece during rookie school, but you would have to pay for the lenses, if you wanted to go with the glasses route. Some say the air dries the contacts out in the SCBA, but I never experienced that.

and goblue, you are opening a can of worms with that question. But I'll try and answer that without any prejudice(ok maybe a little) between the two jurisdictions. Schedules are different, DC works a 24on/3 days off with 4 shifts, while FFX works a tour of 24on/24off/24on/24off/24on/4days off with 3 shifts. I've been to the DC academy and FFX and have friends in both departments from my volunteer days in NJ. The best way to describe DC is that its a very traditional "big city" department. Where as FFX is somewhat more progressive and is more safety orientated. Best bet is to read the DC forums and this forum and see the differences, and then maybe drive over to the stations and check it out.

Comment

• Off the top of my head, DC - 24/72, agressive interior w/ decent fire call volume, pay is less than Fairfax. But then again, Fairfax works an average 56 hour workweek. DC works 42/wk by my calcultions. Their EMS has received much negative press over the last couple of years.

Fairfax works a variant of the 24/48 - WOWOWOOOO. Low fire call volume when compared to urban depts. The safety culture is strong here. There was a fairly recent EMS redesign that changed our tiered response system to that of an all ALS txp fleet, save four BLS units in the busiest stations. The program was unpopular with field personnel when it was proposed, and it remains so at the present. Fairfax doesn't yet have collective bargaining, as we're in a RTW state. The Public Safety Empoyer-Employee Cooperation Act, should it pass the Senate, will change that.

Edit: like jklm said, it's like opening a can of worms. It's best for us not to say who's better, etc.
              Last edited by edpmedic; 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM.
              "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Thanks

Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely doing my homework and I've visited one fire house in DC and will try to visit one in FF soon. Anyway, thank you again for the input, it is definitely appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
                  Some say the air dries the contacts out in the SCBA, but I never experienced that.
                  Ive never had that issue, the only problem I have had with contacts is that when you go on a 4am run, you have blurry vision for a few minutes until they get moist.

Comment

• Has anybody heard anything lately?

Comment

• Talked to recruitment they told me that we should be getting something in the mail.

Comment

• Passed my CPAT at the 1st time trial a month ago. Just got my "You passed" paperwork on Friday. Turned in my Personal History stuff, and was told they're swamped right now. Wait till October to hear from them.

Comment

• Anyone know what the FFX physical consists of? can't find anything on specifics on physicals here

Comment

• Blood work, eye exam and minor stress test. Run on treadmil for 5min with 12lead. You will be in and out in under an HR.

Comment

• how fast is the treadmill set? I set it to 7 then go for a mile. Should I wear my contacts or glasses? They don't turn the mill up to 11, do they ? hehe
                              Last edited by Slikrthnu; 08-08-2010, 05:55 PM. Reason: Was watching "This is Spinal Tapp"

Comment

• Has anybody heard any rumors or details about the upcoming class in October?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X