Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I might have been optimistic but he did say I didn't have anything to worry about. I was within the acceptable ranges but maybe different people read the scores differently. We will see what happens, I am going to appeal it and hopefully retest. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Well, I appealed and got the job. Don't know if that was the exception, but it does happen.
      Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

Oh good so I still do have a chance. In the appeals letter do you just basically tell them you didn't lie and explain your answers to the questions where there was deception?

Comment

Fairfax Employment

This forum has answered many of my questions and for that I am grateful to all who have posted. I am presently employed by a fire department in NC. It is a good department and I have enjoyed my time there. The problem is, that the department is smaller and very young as far as personnel ages. The size of the department in combination with the youth basically career freezes personnel at certain levels. Also, as previously stated, I am 41 years old and I feel that this may be the last, best chance I have at getting a job with a larger department. I have been at the department I am with now for 14 years and I am not aggressively pursuing getting hired by any other department other than Fairfax County. I will be taking the written exam 4/15/06. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by willisjones
            In the appeals letter do you just basically tell them you didn't lie and explain your answers to the questions where there was deception?
            Sure. I wouldn't go too much into explainations, but present your case in a straightforward and direct way. Push things that the department is targeting, like your bilingual skills, ALS, etc.

It can take time working up the chain of command, but it can work. Also begin the process again, that may work faster than the appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by fdronald
              This forum has answered many of my questions and for that I am grateful to all who have posted. I am presently employed by a fire department in NC. It is a good department and I have enjoyed my time there. The problem is, that the department is smaller and very young as far as personnel ages. The size of the department in combination with the youth basically career freezes personnel at certain levels. Also, as previously stated, I am 41 years old and I feel that this may be the last, best chance I have at getting a job with a larger department. I have been at the department I am with now for 14 years and I am not aggressively pursuing getting hired by any other department other than Fairfax County. I will be taking the written exam 4/15/06. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and experience.
              ronald where are you at in NC if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by fdronald
                  ...I will be taking the written exam 4/15/06. I am really looking forward to this opportunity and experience.
                  Good luck, brother. I hope to see you in class soon.

Comment

Kobersteen,

You have probably said before, but what is your estimation for the time-frame of the hiring process? I have seen the projected recruit class schedule and I was concerned about how much time is between taking the written test and if successful taking the CPAT test. Also, do you have to come to the CPAT practice sessions? I am not trying to get out of something but if the practice is not mandatory it will save me one trip. We administer the CPAT at the department I now work for so I am somewhat familiar with the test itself.

Comment

Much depends on if you are a NR-I or NR-P. If you are ALS, then things may move as quickly as 4 months. If not, things can go for a year or so.

The Fairfax County CPAT practice sessions are by no means required, but I highly recommend doing a CPAT practice somewhere... best to do it here with the equipment you will be tested on, in the exact facility you will be tested in, though.

Comment

Once hired as a medic...

I'm training to be a medic now (EMT-I by May '07 hopefully). I've recently heard that in FX county, if I'm hired as a medic, they obligate you (contractually) to keep your medic cert. for as long as you work for them or they'll let you go. True?

Comment

Originally posted by Kobersteen
                          Well, I appealed and got the job. Don't know if that was the exception, but it does happen.
                          Did you appeal from the polygraph in FX county? What was your basis and how did you win it?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesct
                            I'm training to be a medic now (EMT-I by May '07 hopefully). I've recently heard that in FX county, if I'm hired as a medic, they obligate you (contractually) to keep your medic cert. for as long as you work for them or they'll let you go. True?
                            No. Especially if they did NOT pay for your paramedic training.

Contact Recruitment to get the official answer:
                            http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/recruitment/
                            Last edited by MikeWard; 03-09-2006, 05:00 PM.

Comment

not true mike....

mike,

that is actually not true, if you are hired with an ALS cert I or P and you are hired as a Fire Medic you sign a document that requires you as a condition of continuing employment to maintain your ALS certification. The only way to "get out of it" is to have the department agree or to get promoted.

you also have to remember that as a Fire Medic you are hired two pay steps above a firefighter/emt.

i have a friend who was hired for the 115, with his national registry I results pending, he got the results week 2 or 3 of the academy, they called him in, told him to study and if he failed again he would be terminated.

Comment

Oops, my mistake

Thanks, my error.

Mike

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader