Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fairfax county

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Im on the list..i am only Firefighter/EMT, last time i talked to the captain of rect. she said that due to the fact Fairfax co was reworking the EMS system that only medics would be hired but there might be a slight chance mid 2010 for a select few of firefighter/EMT's. I was down a few weeks ago my hats off to the men and women of sta.17,40,and 22 awsome hospitality.

    Be safe brothers and keep your heads up. goodthings happen to those who want it bad enough!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by nozzlenut264 View Post
      Im on the list..i am only Firefighter/EMT, last time i talked to the captain of rect. she said that due to the fact Fairfax co was reworking the EMS system that only medics would be hired but there might be a slight chance mid 2010 for a select few of firefighter/EMT's. I was down a few weeks ago my hats off to the men and women of sta.17,40,and 22 awsome hospitality.

      Be safe brothers and keep your heads up. goodthings happen to those who want it bad enough!
      If you want it bad enough go to medic school. Don't wait around on a list as an EMT...doesn't cut it anymore. Fairfax is only hiring ALS providers, I don't see them going back to hiring non-ALS folks anytime soon or ever.

      As a non-BLS you're one of 3,000 applicants. As an ALS provider your odds are much - much - better. If you want in get your ALS and have recruitment update your file.
      Local 2068

      Comment


      • Very True. Iam working on my medic cert. You have to do what you have to do if you want the job! Im still not giving up on the ff/emt yet one never knows. Have to wait and see how things go with my medic cert.

        Comment


        • I have to agree with Henry "The Fury" Chan. I have heard that there will not be a non-ALS school in the near future.

          Don't give up though!
          Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

          "It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
            I have to agree with Henry "The Fury" Chan. I have heard that there will not be a non-ALS school in the near future.

            Don't give up though!
            +1. And, as always, don't keep all your eggs in one basket.
            "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

            Comment


            • I am a current resident of fairfax county and a volunteer in Loudoun which borders fairfax. i am going to tell you right now the cost of living here is going to be way higher than ohio, but there are other options such as parts of loudoun are less expensive and prince william county is probably even cheaper both of these border fairfax. you also have fauquire county that is even cheaper to live in just on the other side of loudoun and prince william. now i see you are a paramedic which is a really really really big step in helping you get hired. the chances of a white male with out a P-card is slim to none. my asst cheifs father started in fairfax as a firefighter and moved up the ranks and become a fire marshal he then retired from fairfax in good standing after 30 years of service and is now working as a civilian part time for the fire marshals office. with all of this helping my asst chief he still has been on the waiting list for over two years and is starting to look else where for a career in the fire service.

              Comment


              • The chances of anyone without a P-card is slim to none at the moment. You can consider northern Stafford, the Garrisonville area. You can rent a 1 BR for under a grand. Take 95 to 123 north to 7100 north, or 95 to 7900-7100N for a straight shot to the academy. Manassas can be okay and affordable for the short term, just stay out of Coverstone, Irongate, and Georgetown South. PD there have advised they're higher crime areas. 66 to the academy from Manassas is around 20 mins or less.
                "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

                Comment


                • So I hear that the 127th is currently in Unit 2 testing. If anyone from the class is reading this, let us know how it went.
                  "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

                  Comment


                  • Congrats to the 127th, with everyone passing unit 2 testing! Don't do anything stupid, you're home free. See ya in the field. 128th, shine your shoes and check your gig line. The fun is about to begin. Make sure you can run a mile without puking (I dodged a few road flowers from my classmates the first week in the academy).
                    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                      Congrats to the 127th, with everyone passing unit 2 testing! Don't do anything stupid, you're home free. See ya in the field. 128th, shine your shoes and check your gig line. The fun is about to begin. Make sure you can run a mile without puking (I dodged a few road flowers from my classmates the first week in the academy).
                      Please tell me that there is not a single person out there in the world who seriously wants to be a fire fighter, that can not get through a single mile with out pukeing! Now the first day ever out in full PPE, I can see pukeing during hose and maze drills or crawling around even, but running one mile in PT gear? Pathetic.
                      Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                      -Big Russ

                      Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

                      Originally posted by nyckftbl
                      LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
                        Please tell me that there is not a single person out there in the world who seriously wants to be a fire fighter, that can not get through a single mile with out pukeing! Now the first day ever out in full PPE, I can see pukeing during hose and maze drills or crawling around even, but running one mile in PT gear? Pathetic.
                        Are you kidding? One person I know here was testing CPAT candidates one Sat. He told me that 39 out of 40 failed! WTF?

                        A point of advice to future recruits, it's better to puke while running, not breaking stride, than dropping out of the run to heave.

                        Also, make sure you disclose all medical conditions at your physical. One recruit dropped out of a run to puff on her inhaler. Oops! forgot to tell OHC that she has a prescribed inhaler. Unfortunately out of a job now.
                        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                          Are you kidding? One person I know here was testing CPAT candidates one Sat. He told me that 39 out of 40 failed! WTF?

                          A point of advice to future recruits, it's better to puke while running, not breaking stride, than dropping out of the run to heave.

                          Also, make sure you disclose all medical conditions at your physical. One recruit dropped out of a run to puff on her inhaler. Oops! forgot to tell OHC that she has a prescribed inhaler. Unfortunately out of a job now.
                          How does such a person get through the FFX hireing process? How did they get through the poly? Freaking amazing.
                          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                          -Big Russ

                          Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

                          Originally posted by nyckftbl
                          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

                          Comment


                          • If they brought back the requirement to complete 1.5 miles in 12 minutes that would probably screw a lot of people out of a job.
                            "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

                            Comment


                            • Finally have been scheduled for the polygraph and medical evaluation!!!! The wheels are moving slowly, but at least they are turning. Can any one help me out with what to expect during both sessions? Any info would be great

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by sbfd48 View Post
                                Finally have been scheduled for the polygraph and medical evaluation!!!! The wheels are moving slowly, but at least they are turning. Can any one help me out with what to expect during both sessions? Any info would be great
                                Congrats!

                                The medical evaluation is just a very complete physical. Get plenty of sleep the night before and follow the instructions that they send you before hand.

                                The polygraph is just a review of your background packet making sure that you have been "honest" (I say "honest" because I personally believe that the poly is B.S.). Get plenty of rest and don't go out drinking the night before. Try to stay calm and make sure that the examiner is asking the questions in a way that there is nothing on your mind as far as doubt. Don't try to 'beat' the machine, that will only cause more anxiety and a certain failure. Heck, the poly examiner that administered my exam knows things about you that not even my mother does.

                                Good luck!
                                Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

                                "It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X