Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im on the list..i am only Firefighter/EMT, last time i talked to the captain of rect. she said that due to the fact Fairfax co was reworking the EMS system that only medics would be hired but there might be a slight chance mid 2010 for a select few of firefighter/EMT's. I was down a few weeks ago my hats off to the men and women of sta.17,40,and 22 awsome hospitality.

Be safe brothers and keep your heads up. goodthings happen to those who want it bad enough!

Comment

• Originally posted by nozzlenut264 View Post
      Im on the list..i am only Firefighter/EMT, last time i talked to the captain of rect. she said that due to the fact Fairfax co was reworking the EMS system that only medics would be hired but there might be a slight chance mid 2010 for a select few of firefighter/EMT's. I was down a few weeks ago my hats off to the men and women of sta.17,40,and 22 awsome hospitality.

Be safe brothers and keep your heads up. goodthings happen to those who want it bad enough!
      If you want it bad enough go to medic school. Don't wait around on a list as an EMT...doesn't cut it anymore. Fairfax is only hiring ALS providers, I don't see them going back to hiring non-ALS folks anytime soon or ever.

As a non-BLS you're one of 3,000 applicants. As an ALS provider your odds are much - much - better. If you want in get your ALS and have recruitment update your file.
      Local 2068

Comment

• Very True. Iam working on my medic cert. You have to do what you have to do if you want the job! Im still not giving up on the ff/emt yet one never knows. Have to wait and see how things go with my medic cert.

Comment

• I have to agree with Henry "The Fury" Chan. I have heard that there will not be a non-ALS school in the near future.

Don't give up though!
          Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
            I have to agree with Henry "The Fury" Chan. I have heard that there will not be a non-ALS school in the near future.

Don't give up though!
            +1. And, as always, don't keep all your eggs in one basket.
            "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• I am a current resident of fairfax county and a volunteer in Loudoun which borders fairfax. i am going to tell you right now the cost of living here is going to be way higher than ohio, but there are other options such as parts of loudoun are less expensive and prince william county is probably even cheaper both of these border fairfax. you also have fauquire county that is even cheaper to live in just on the other side of loudoun and prince william. now i see you are a paramedic which is a really really really big step in helping you get hired. the chances of a white male with out a P-card is slim to none. my asst cheifs father started in fairfax as a firefighter and moved up the ranks and become a fire marshal he then retired from fairfax in good standing after 30 years of service and is now working as a civilian part time for the fire marshals office. with all of this helping my asst chief he still has been on the waiting list for over two years and is starting to look else where for a career in the fire service.

Comment

• The chances of anyone without a P-card is slim to none at the moment. You can consider northern Stafford, the Garrisonville area. You can rent a 1 BR for under a grand. Take 95 to 123 north to 7100 north, or 95 to 7900-7100N for a straight shot to the academy. Manassas can be okay and affordable for the short term, just stay out of Coverstone, Irongate, and Georgetown South. PD there have advised they're higher crime areas. 66 to the academy from Manassas is around 20 mins or less.
                "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• So I hear that the 127th is currently in Unit 2 testing. If anyone from the class is reading this, let us know how it went.

Comment

• Congrats to the 127th, with everyone passing unit 2 testing! Don't do anything stupid, you're home free. See ya in the field. 128th, shine your shoes and check your gig line. The fun is about to begin. Make sure you can run a mile without puking (I dodged a few road flowers from my classmates the first week in the academy).

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                      Congrats to the 127th, with everyone passing unit 2 testing! Don't do anything stupid, you're home free. See ya in the field. 128th, shine your shoes and check your gig line. The fun is about to begin. Make sure you can run a mile without puking (I dodged a few road flowers from my classmates the first week in the academy).
                      Please tell me that there is not a single person out there in the world who seriously wants to be a fire fighter, that can not get through a single mile with out pukeing! Now the first day ever out in full PPE, I can see pukeing during hose and maze drills or crawling around even, but running one mile in PT gear? Pathetic.
                      Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                      -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                      LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
                        Please tell me that there is not a single person out there in the world who seriously wants to be a fire fighter, that can not get through a single mile with out pukeing! Now the first day ever out in full PPE, I can see pukeing during hose and maze drills or crawling around even, but running one mile in PT gear? Pathetic.
                        Are you kidding? One person I know here was testing CPAT candidates one Sat. He told me that 39 out of 40 failed! WTF?

A point of advice to future recruits, it's better to puke while running, not breaking stride, than dropping out of the run to heave.

Also, make sure you disclose all medical conditions at your physical. One recruit dropped out of a run to puff on her inhaler. Oops! forgot to tell OHC that she has a prescribed inhaler. Unfortunately out of a job now.

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                          Are you kidding? One person I know here was testing CPAT candidates one Sat. He told me that 39 out of 40 failed! WTF?

A point of advice to future recruits, it's better to puke while running, not breaking stride, than dropping out of the run to heave.

Also, make sure you disclose all medical conditions at your physical. One recruit dropped out of a run to puff on her inhaler. Oops! forgot to tell OHC that she has a prescribed inhaler. Unfortunately out of a job now.
                          How does such a person get through the FFX hireing process? How did they get through the poly? Freaking amazing.
                          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• If they brought back the requirement to complete 1.5 miles in 12 minutes that would probably screw a lot of people out of a job.

Comment

• Finally have been scheduled for the polygraph and medical evaluation!!!! The wheels are moving slowly, but at least they are turning. Can any one help me out with what to expect during both sessions? Any info would be great

Comment

• Originally posted by sbfd48 View Post
                                Finally have been scheduled for the polygraph and medical evaluation!!!! The wheels are moving slowly, but at least they are turning. Can any one help me out with what to expect during both sessions? Any info would be great
                                Congrats!

The medical evaluation is just a very complete physical. Get plenty of sleep the night before and follow the instructions that they send you before hand.

The polygraph is just a review of your background packet making sure that you have been "honest" (I say "honest" because I personally believe that the poly is B.S.). Get plenty of rest and don't go out drinking the night before. Try to stay calm and make sure that the examiner is asking the questions in a way that there is nothing on your mind as far as doubt. Don't try to 'beat' the machine, that will only cause more anxiety and a certain failure. Heck, the poly examiner that administered my exam knows things about you that not even my mother does.

Good luck!
                                Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X