Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just posted a thread about enlisting in the USCG to earn your emt-p, and kill some time until normal hiring practices resume. It's titled "GREAT IDEA", under the Hiring & Employment Discussion. Check it out!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• I took my polygraph about a month ago and got a letter today saying thanks for your interest however your application will no longer be considered .... it didn't saying anything about the lieing on the polygraph or anything --- maybe I was a bit too truthfull?

i did tell them about every little thing I could think of... but i didn't think anything i've done was reason enough to DQ me from the process. never did drugs, never been fired etc.

i'm close to finishing graduate school in psychology so its not like i don't have anything going ... I just thought it was strange to be disqualified like that.

Comment

• Interesting....I failed my first poly and they sent me a letter saying what I failed on. I recently took my 2nd poly and looks like I passed, but the letter said that due to the budget crisis, they don't know when they are going to have another academy. So my application is on hold for 2 years from the date of the letter. Only good news I can expect is if I get scheduled for a Psych. I'm almost finished with another agency, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

I'm sure you will hear this a lot, but don't put your eggs in one basket. Look at all the neighboring counties, cities for more opportunities. And "Good luck with your endeavors."

P.S. I believe they are still hiring Medics so if you have NREMT Intermediate or Paramedic certifications, they might look you up.

Comment

• Originally posted by eng1irons View Post
          i did tell them about every little thing I could think of... but i didn't think anything i've done was reason enough to DQ me from the process. never did drugs, never been fired etc.
          Appeal... without question.

I was also turned down for the poly, appealed and I am on the job.
          Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post

Kobe,

Nice to see ya back on here!!..How have ya been ? Also whats the word with the budget ? any idea if and when they will open up the applications for ff/emt again ?

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
              Kobe,

Nice to see ya back on here!!..How have ya been ? Also whats the word with the budget ? any idea if and when they will open up the applications for ff/emt again ?

Rob
              Our union president will speak in front of the County Executive on 3/31, who decides our fate. The budget will be finalized on 4/27, so we can only speculate, at the moment. There are a fair amount of people who will be required to retire under the DROP program over the next several years, so I would imagine that we will need to hire again, at some point. That's all I really know for sure, anything else would just be rumor and speculation. If you have ff 1&2, DoD would be a good place to focus your efforts. I think the official site is usajobs.gov. Most depts. require recruits to either have emt, or be trained as one during the academy. If you're not doing anything, get your emt-b, and start getting experience, even if only part time. Typical call volume in fire rescue is 70-80% ems related, anyway.
              "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Hope for the best!

I will be down April 10th for the Psyc exam and an interview with the Captain of Rec. Those that are on the job, any advice for the Psyc? I talked to one of the Captain on an engine company he said that the new Captain in Rec. is a very nice lady. I sure hope that the high ups in the county pass the budget that will favor all current members and the new Guys and Girls waiting to get hired. I still say Fairfax is one of the best fire deptarments i have tested for thus far. Very nice people in the stations...kudos! Im keeping my head high and working hard for the dream!

Any input would be awsome!

thanks and stay safe

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post

I was turned down for the medical, appealed and I am too on the job, thanks in no small part to Kobersteen

Comment

• Originally posted by nozzlenut264 View Post
                    I will be down April 10th for the Psyc exam and an interview with the Captain of Rec. Those that are on the job, any advice for the Psyc? I talked to one of the Captain on an engine company he said that the new Captain in Rec. is a very nice lady. I sure hope that the high ups in the county pass the budget that will favor all current members and the new Guys and Girls waiting to get hired. I still say Fairfax is one of the best fire deptarments i have tested for thus far. Very nice people in the stations...kudos! Im keeping my head high and working hard for the dream!

Any input would be awsome!

thanks and stay safe

good luck man, its gonna be a rough couple years no matter where you look. Try fort Belvoir, they are builidng like 3 new stations or something silly like that. Then you can come over to the county later if you want, there are a couple guys here who used to be federal firemen.

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
                      Kobe,

Rob
                      I've been okay, thanks. This budget has the rumor mill on overdrive and getting straight scoop has become that much more important.

As EDP said, things are still very much up in the air as it pertains to the budget. In the County Executives proposed budget there are 89 uniformed RIFs (Reductions in Force) in it. That is not a "true" number because of impending retirements and the like. Local 2068 is working towards a "Zero RIF" resolution and is diligently working with the Board of Supervisors, the state and the FRD Senior Staff on creative alternatives to the RIFs.

The next couple years are going to be very touchy with the County budget. I will not even speculate when they will accept applications for non-medics again.

For those in the process already, keep flexible and go through the process as far as they will allow. Worst case scenario is that they do not hire, but you will know what the process entails!

Good luck!
                      Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by formerbuckeye View Post
                        good luck man, its gonna be a rough couple years no matter where you look. Try fort Belvoir, they are builidng like 3 new stations or something silly like that. Then you can come over to the county later if you want, there are a couple guys here who used to be federal firemen.
                        We are building 3 new stations. No idea what the timeline will be, but the post is expanding! Supposedly a station out near Charlottesville, Va, and two closer by to support the Army base. Not a bad gig for those who haven't decided if VA is where they want to end up staying since you can take the job overseas as long as there's an opening on a military installation.

Comment

• Budget

I've heard through the rumor mill that the budget was passed, allowing for 23 firefighters to be hired in 2009...13 of those being Firefighter/EMT's....

Anyone heard anything about this? I'm desperate to get on with FFX County. It would be a dream (one I've pursued for a very long time) come true.

By the way, this is XDevildogX, my old screen name. Kobersteen, you probably remember me from about 8 months ago when you helped me get past my failed polygraph....And DC5gurl, congrats on the hire! Tell us more! You and I spoke briefly by email when you were about to move back here...remember?

Comment

• It looks like we'll be avoiding any RIF's this year. Local 2068 came through like champs! There was a candidate CPAT test about a month or two ago. One of the proctors told us that only ONE person out of 39-40 or so passed(shows how bad you really want the job, I guess...). It's not a hard test, but you do need to be in SOME kind of shape to pass it. Actual academy PT and job performance is actually much more difficult. You'll do much more strenuous work, in gear, on air, probably in hot, humid weather. Going into any academy, let alone FxCo, out of shape, figuring "the academy will get me in shape", will set you up for failure, and dismissal. If you can't run 1.5 miles without puking, I don't know what to tell you. Again, the CPAT is an easy test in comparison to academy work, so you need to be prepared. I found a website that practically mirrors my training modality. www.firegroundfitness.com It has a 28 day beginner program, and three levels of dieselness. It has great links as well. Get on it!

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                              One of the proctors told us that only ONE person out of 39-40 or so passed(shows how bad you really want the job, I guess...).
                              Those numbers seem WAY off to me. Maybe one in three failed or 4 out of 9, but 1 in 40? no freaking way unless someone had the stairclimber misadjusted or judges at the stations were being over critical. It is just not that hard.
                              Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                              -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                              LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• The Washington post had a story on the budget in Fairfax. It was passed i think they are trying to see ware the money will go. If anyone has any information that would be awsome. I have alot of time and effort with Fairfax co i cant say enough good things about the dept. It has been about three weeks from when i got to sit down with the Capt and go over things with her. She was a very nice lady. I will be contacting people i know in the dept to see if i can find something out. As soon as i get somehting i will let everyone know! Best of luck!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X