Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
    There are many things up in the air right now with several bad budget years ahead. My advise to all here, don't put all your eggs in the Fairfax County basket.

I think they will still run rookie schools, but I don't know how many, how often or off of what list.

Sorry I can't bring better info or better news.
    They just cancelled the 123'rd probie school, so things aren't looking too bright. I haven't heard anything on the 127th rookie school though.

Comment

• Message Deleted.
      Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 06:05 PM. Reason: oops

Comment

• Originally posted by CMCM49 View Post
        How do you cancel the 123rd when they graduated a year ago?
        probationary school is where you go after your probie year after graduating recruit school. It's basically pump ops and driving to clear you as a back up driver. It's the last step to drop the probie on your title.

Comment

• Message Deleted.
          Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
            They just cancelled the 123'rd probie school, so things aren't looking too bright. I haven't heard anything on the 127th rookie school though.
            This is bad scoop, it hasn't been cancelled.
            I should have cleaned up the chili.....why didn't I clean up the chili!!!!!!

Comment

• As Joel said,

There are many things up in the air right now with several bad budget years ahead. My advise to all here, don't put all your eggs in the Fairfax County basket.

The budget issue remains dynamic, with all of the DC area fire departments struggling to meet anticipated budget shortfalls.

No one has been laid-off.

Mike
              Last edited by MikeWard; 11-01-2008, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• I am a complete ignoramus....should I call it a day???

I was at a conference in DC one day and there was a job fair in an adjacent room. I have always had an interest in giving back to society so out of nowhere I filled out the short application on site. To make a long story short, many months later I am now at the poly phase and then the psych....then what?

I have ZERO experience as a FF, medic, EMT, or any of the other fancy acronyms being tossed about. I took the written exam and got close to 100%. I then took the CPAT and finished it in 8:35. The Medical was long but went fine. The poly, I have nothing to hide so I'll do fine and I am not too crazy so the psych should be a breeze as well. I am 97% sure I will complete the process successfully soon.

Despite what it sounds, I am not trying to be braggadocios. I am simply stating that I will likely cruise through the recruitment process, BUT then comes the real questions. Will I ever be offered a position given the following facts:

1) I am in my mid 40's (is this a factor?)
                2) I have absolutely ZERO relative experience
                3) I am in excellent health and very fit
                4) I do speak Spanish, and Portuguese as well as Italian (conversant)
                5) I generally do above average academically and physically
                6) I have a degree in a completely non related field
                7) The only reason I want to join is to help people going forward

Silly questions:

1) What the heck do FF do when not on call?
                2) Does a non related degree help in carrer advancement
                3) I am willing to pay my dues, how far can I get?
                4) If I get too old do they fire me or find me a "desk" job....if so, like what?
                5) What is a a typical week like as a FF? (12 hr shifts? Etc)
                6) DO I HAVE A GREATLY UPHILL BATTLE TO BE OFFERED A POSITION, IF SO, WHY?
                7) WHEN IS THE NEXT SCHOOL IN 2009?

THANK YOU GUYS and thanks to all those that have dedicated their lives to helping others!!

Comment

• OMG....I got thank you but no thank you letter from the department. Appearantly, I failed poly. Which means I'm a lying SOB. I'm so upset right now. I don't see how I failed poly by telling the truth (I'm not lying about this either!). I hope I can appeal successfully for another test. I just wanted to share my frustration.
                  Wish me luck guys!

IMQMOV:
                  Fairfax is like 24 on, 24 off times three then 4 days off or something like that. You're never old to be a firefighter but ofcourse as you age, you have to use more heart to compensate for your aging body (I've heard of a 40 year old man just got accepted to ghetto old Baltimore as a police!). First things first make sure you pass every screening process. Paramedic certification definitely helps AFTER you pass all the screening. Well I'm still an applicant, but I'm sure rest of the guys can fill you in more.

Good Luck!

Comment

• i took the written test back in august and i know they have more people than appointment slots right now for the poly and medical, but someone told me dates were being given to people at the last cpat when they finished/passed....i already passed the cpat so didn't go to the fairfax one...does this push me to the end of the line in terms of scheduling my poly/medical because i didn't go to the fairfax cpat......

Comment

• Originally posted by Suppressor View Post
                      OMG....I got thank you but no thank you letter from the department. Appearantly, I failed poly. Which means I'm a lying SOB. I'm so upset right now. I don't see how I failed poly by telling the truth (I'm not lying about this either!). I hope I can appeal successfully for another test. I just wanted to share my frustration.
                      Wish me luck guys!

IMQMOV:
                      Fairfax is like 24 on, 24 off times three then 4 days off or something like that. You're never old to be a firefighter but ofcourse as you age, you have to use more heart to compensate for your aging body (I've heard of a 40 year old man just got accepted to ghetto old Baltimore as a police!). First things first make sure you pass every screening process. Paramedic certification definitely helps AFTER you pass all the screening. Well I'm still an applicant, but I'm sure rest of the guys can fill you in more.

Good Luck!

That sucks. What kind of questions do they ask you on the poly? I've never heard of a system on a FD that weeds people out like that. I can see the PD having one but not an FD.

Comment

• Originally posted by avers03 View Post
                        i took the written test back in august and i know they have more people than appointment slots right now for the poly and medical, but someone told me dates were being given to people at the last cpat when they finished/passed....i already passed the cpat so didn't go to the fairfax one...does this push me to the end of the line in terms of scheduling my poly/medical because i didn't go to the fairfax cpat......
                        In speaking with recruiting yesterday, they are stretched pretty far out in terms of getting people into the poly/medicals. They told me if(when) I pass the practice timed run in December it puts me in the que for the poly/medical. They told me it is realistically 4 months or so right now and to just be patient after passing the CPAT. I got the gist that some people aren't so patient.

My plan of action is to pass CPAT and remain extremely polite in any contact I may have with them for the medical/poly. Unfortunately it looks like I picked one of the worst times to get into public service with many present factors. When I pass the CPAT, if they give me a date I will update with that info, otherwise I'm banking on it being a few months till the next step.

Fairfax County Fire Department is where I would like to hang my hat, but I have put some eggs in other baskets. I am hopeful that it happens for me and will put my best foot forward throughout the process.

Comment

• We'll I just my rejection later today... this blows big time. I could'nt be more frustrated then I am right now... Apparently I lied on my poly, the first time and and second time I had to take the damn test, I hate poly's.... this sucks.
                          Just letting out some anger here. sorry.

Anyways I just wanted to say thanks to those for giving out the info on this thread it did help alot. And to everybody still in the process good luck.
                          The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Comment

• Poly questions

FirefighterPEP -
                            Sorry to hear about the poly. Can you offer any insight as to what they asked? Is it pretty much straight off the history statement? What is the whole poly test like? I imagine its pretty nerve racking.

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaponeCEO View Post
                              That sucks. What kind of questions do they ask you on the poly? I've never heard of a system on a FD that weeds people out like that. I can see the PD having one but not an FD.

The reason why Fairfax county fire department relies so highly on the poly test is they are huge on the core values of the department. The main one being integrity. They feel that if you are going to lie when it comes to 9 pages of simple questions, that if something happens on the job that you will definitely lie about that. They dont need people like that on the department since the community looks upon the fire department so highly and they dont want to mess up that reputation!!

Comment

• Originally posted by CObasic View Post
                                FirefighterPEP -
                                Sorry to hear about the poly. Can you offer any insight as to what they asked? Is it pretty much straight off the history statement? What is the whole poly test like? I imagine its pretty nerve racking.

Thanks.
                                With the poly, i'm not going to sugar coat it for you. It can be nerve racking but trust me when i tell you and like everybody else will tell you "just relax"... Even the poly examiner will say that.

Questions will be coming from your history statement. But the examiner will also conduct his own interview about yourself. which will be about and hour or two long. and he or she will ask questions about anything that would "raise a flag" about yourself. such as crimes you may have commited. BE AS HONEST AS YOU CAN BE WITH WHATEVER THEY ASK YOU, I cant stress that enough.

Then from those questions and answers you've given. he'll take about ten or so of those and ask you them again while your strapped up to the chair. again just relax and answer the questions in a yes or no manner and you should do great.

good luck
                                The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X