Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by haskins View Post
    Hey all, I just finished going through all this info and I still have a question... I finished the hiring process and was put on the waiting list in March 07, so it's coming up on 18 months without hearing anything... I understand that the list is long and it takes awhile, but at what point do you give up and apply again? Is it pretty unlikely I'll be contacted at this point?
    When was the last time you called recruitment for an update?
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• It's been six or eight months, I updated my address and let them know I had changed jobs. They said thanks for the call, and sorry but they couldn't release any information about lists, chances etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by haskins View Post
        It's been six or eight months, I updated my address and let them know I had changed jobs. They said thanks for the call, and sorry but they couldn't release any information about lists, chances etc.
        I would give recruitment a buzz asking if you are still in consideration and how long some steps are good for. I am pretty sure that your CPAT time is only good for a year... as for other steps, I don't know.

After that first call inquiring of your status, give your contact (likely Ms. Dawkins) a buzz about every 3 weeks or so. A rookie class just started this past Monday, so it will be about 6 months or so before the next regular class or about 3-4 months until the next ALS class.

Comment

• Alright, thanks!

I tend to error on the side of trying not to be a bother and that doesn't always end up in my best interest...

Comment

• Poly results

Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
            This isn't intended to be a smartass answer... just tell the truth.

There will be a fairly comprehensive 'interview portion' prior to being hooked up. Just go back and forth with the examiner until you can come up with an answer you are comfortable with. "Have you stolen more than a billion paperclips from prior employers?" "No."

Polygraphs work by detecting increases in heart rate, breathing pattern and rate and other such things. The important part is to remain as consistent as possible. During the time I was hooked up, I found a spot on the wall and concentrated on it.

I know that there are those who say you can beat the polygraph... I'm sure there are people who can, but I just have no interest in doing that.

Another thing to remember is that a rejection due to results of a polygraph are not the end of the world... trust me on that one.

Good luck!
            Hey "Kobersteen" this one's for you:

Your a pretty reliable source of info. so I'll ask you.... Does the county share results of the Poly with other departments in the area. I have to ask, not because I have anything to hide I was honest about the drugs I experimented with as a teen and have no "real" criminal past however, I have tested with other departments on the area, Arlington, MCFRS, and they seem to ask about results from other processes with other "Metro" departments....it's just that these depts. don't poly. FFX does and sometimes the poly can jam some up due to nervousness not deception...

just a thought, would'nt want to get hurt for another agency.....

Thanks.....

Comment

• Haskins, it sounds like you're in the same situation that I am. I was put on the list in April of '07. All I have to say is just keep trying. Kobersteen, I had sent you a PM about this a while back and took your suggestion. I don't know what else to do. I've called several times and I'm just like Haskins, I hate to become a pain to recruitment.

Good luck man...and maybe with some luck, we'll both get there!!!!
              Mike Pyle
              http://www.uniontownfirefighters.4t.com

Comment

• I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Comment

• Bump

Where's everybody at?

Comment

• cpat

anyone going down for the oct 10th cpat?

Comment

• ALS Engines?

Hey,
                      So after trying to read this entire thread its still not clear to me whether medics ride the bucket all the time, some of the time, or never. If you rotate on and off the ambulance, how does that work?
                      From the website I gather that this dept does medical transports, I'm just wondering if I would be stuck on the bucket all the time.

Thanks,
                      Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by CObasic View Post
                        Hey,
                        So after trying to read this entire thread its still not clear to me whether medics ride the bucket all the time, some of the time, or never. If you rotate on and off the ambulance, how does that work?
                        From the website I gather that this dept does medical transports, I'm just wondering if I would be stuck on the bucket all the time.

Thanks,
                        Phil
                        If you are hired as a medic you go through the medic internship, so after you finish recruit school you have about 4-5 months riding as a 3rd on the medic units. After that you ride the engine for the rest of your probationary year, because you go back to probie school after 1 year of graduating rookie school to do pump ops/etc. After that it usually depends on your shift leader if they want to put you on the left bucket of the engine or on the medic unit.

Comment

• Thanks for the reply. So would you say that for someone who doesn't want to be stuck on the bucket for years, this might not be the best place to work?

Thanks again for the reply.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So would you say that for someone who doesn't want to be stuck on the bucket for years, this might not be the best place to work?

Thanks again for the reply.
                            quite the opposite. If you really want to do patient care and transport, just tell your shift leader who's doing the staffing, and he'll put you on the medic unit until you hate it.

Comment

• jklm128, thanks once again for the reply. I must have misphrased my first reply. I don't mind patient care and transports, I just don't want to be stuck doing that exclusively. I wanna ride the engine at least some of the time.
                              Would you at least say that they're fair about splitting time between the bucket and the engine?

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Would you at least say that they're fair about splitting time between the bucket and the engine?
                                Much depends on staffing at your station. If the officer or driver on the engine are ALS, then your days in the bucket may be sparse. At most firehouses, that is not the case and, most likely, it will be up to you and the other Fire Medic or EMS Technician to work out a rotation. At my station, the other ALS firefighter and I rotate by the tour. One tour driving the medic - one tour on the engine.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X