Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
    I wrote your number down, and then I couldn't find it, as I'm disorganized at times. Please resend the email. I've recently found two hills near my home. One is longer than the academy's "Mt. Trashmore", and the other one is short and steep, perfect for sprints. We'll have fun. I think that the calls went out for the 126th class, I've heard like forty or so have been hired. People do accept the job, and then cancel. One recruit showed up for the 125th on one days notice, after another cancelled. Keep in frequent contact with recruitment. Please resend your number. I'm off for the next three days, and have plenty of time to talk.
    That is true with a fellow recruit being called in after the orientation day to join the 125. There are many people that cancel last minute due to living situations, so you may get a call a day or two even after the academt start date. Hope the ride-along is going well for you guys. Unit 2 is officially over.

Comment

• none

Hey epdmedic thanx for trying to help me prepare for the academy, I've been going to the gym for the past 4 months doing weights and cardio 4 times a week. I try to move up on resistance every week, so right now I believe I'm in preatty good shape, I just left the marine corps last year and there I found out what running until you puke means so i'm not taking anything lightly for these upcoming 6 months. Anyways ill be sure to contact you for any tips about the academy. This friday I'm scheduled to pick up some gear which includes the air mask and uniform. And to jklm, its good to hear that we can take some pics while in training, I'll be sure to take my camera with me, although I doubt the'll be to permissive with it, and finally to everyone alse waiting, like i said before don't lose faith and hang in there!

Comment

• Originally posted by CMCM49 View Post
        And of the 127th?
        Maybe the end of September?

Comment

• Hi

So I finished the process last week. Awesome! The pyschologist thought I was emotionally and mentally capable of the job. Sweet!

Now what? How long do I wait now? I wish there were a website that kept you updated on your status in the process. That way I wouldn't have to bother Annie every other week, ya know? I don't imagine that keeping an updated website would be TOO much extra work. Oh well....

So if the 126th is already booked, when's the 127th? I was hoping to get everything done in time to be eligible for the 126th.....

Someone please save me from myself I'm in desperate need of some answers....

Comment

• Originally posted by dc5gurl View Post
            Maybe the end of September?
            I doubt it. The county decreased its annual recruit classes from 6 to 2 recruit classes a year. If there is a 127th recruit class, the soonest that it will begin is the beginning of 2009, 2-3 weeks after the 126th graduates.

Comment

• Message Deleted.
              Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
                The county decreased its annual recruit classes from 6 to 2 recruit classes a year. If there is a 127th recruit class, the soonest that it will begin is the beginning of 2009, 2-3 weeks after the 126th graduates.
                Yeah, I know about the reduction in academies they're running. Well, unless Ms Annie was lying 2 me about the next set of medics being selected for the late Sept class? Guess I'm going home 2 my old fire department.

But if the time line works out to where they're doing that funky 4 month perceptorship before suppression school? That would make the next academy about late January/ February, which sounds about right.

And this is why I hate being stuck in 'limbo.'

Comment

• August

Just spoke with Annie. August academy is full, next one is tentatively in March of '09.

I hate this process. It's truly ridiculous how long it all takes...just to find out you didn't make it in time for the next cut.

Chasing the dream, I suppose....

Comment

• Has anyone who passed the CPAT in March received word on when their psych/med/polygraph will be scheduled? I haven't heard anything since receiving the CPAT certificate in the mail a couple weeks after the test.

Comment

• Originally posted by xDevilDogx View Post
                      Just spoke with Annie. August academy is full, next one is tentatively in March of '09.

I hate this process. It's truly ridiculous how long it all takes...just to find out you didn't make it in time for the next cut.

Chasing the dream, I suppose....
                      guess I'm going home 2 my old department.

Comment

• Originally posted by dc5gurl View Post
                        guess I'm going home 2 my old department.
                        When I was local and doing the training on wed and sat there were guys that were getting the call and it had been over 18 months since they took their written test. Keep in mind also that was when they were running overlapping academies! There is a reason the letter says you may hear in the next two years.
                        Patience may not be an easy virtue but it is certainly the mode of operation when going for this job...especially if your not a paramedic.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4bugsdad View Post
                          There is a reason the letter says you may hear in the next two years....especially if your not a paramedic.
                          Er, not 2 sound high and mighty? But I am a medic, female, Asian, and a whole bunch of other things. I bring those points up because people think those are keys points that'll get you into the door faster. Nope. Not here.

And for the letter? Never got it. Aside from the letters stating scheduled time for testing appt's and the one about remembering to send in my results to occ health to complete my file? Ha ha ha.

Here's what I did NOT get: letter stating upgrade in medical clearance from C to A, letter stating that i've passed psych, letter for poly, letter for written test?! I had my CPAT from having tried the hiring processes out here in CA.

All of my results have been verbally confirmed with Ms Annie. I've been done with the process and results were in since mid May.

My issue? Is that I was hoping for at least notifications of some kind. My address is on file. My old dept has my application, and I may end up having better luck getting back on with them, it's just that I was hoping for Fairfax.

I want back into my old job because having spent two years as an IFT 'medic' has left me frustrated, disgusted, and lackadaisical as a 911 medic, and that's not why I got into this field. After having been an NREMT practicals proctor and a patient out here? No, thanks, coming home!

I was just hoping I hadn't misplaced my optimism with Fairfax.

Comment

• i am a fire fighter for a small city in pa. and i plan on taking the test for fair fax county. can some one shoot me an email or pm and tell wether or not its worth my time to apply if i am not an emt or paramedic.

Comment

• Originally posted by ffthomas2002 View Post
                              i am a fire fighter for a small city in pa. and i plan on taking the test for fair fax county. can some one shoot me an email or pm and tell wether or not its worth my time to apply if i am not an emt or paramedic.
                              Hey Man,

It's DEFINITELY worth it. Fairfax doesn't discriminate you if you don't have your emt or paramedic. Being a paramedic definitely help but not having anything doesn't count you out. There are guys also here who have been thru the process and academy and know more. If you like fairfax enough you wll go through with it.

Rob

Comment

• thanks for the info and i am def going to apply. i've always been interested in this dept. i did apply a few times before and failed the cpat. but i will def be going back down to norhtern va very soon. stay safe brothers and sistetrs

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X