fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call?

I haven't heard a single thing from the county. I don't want to seem annoying, but I'm desperate to hear something about my next appoinment. Should I call Miss Annie again and ask? Or should I wait?

Is anyone able to tell me what is too much? Are we all this neurotic and pushy? LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by dc5gurl View Post
      ^^^^^ I think it was this meeting that I got confused.
      Gotcha. Yeah, I think that was an impromptu meeting by some that were starting a particular class.

Though, I might drop in on a union meeting since I was a union member with my department further south. Oops Sorry for the confusion!
      Unfortunately, Local meetings are only open to current Local 2068 members and invited guests (for specific purposes), so you might be kinda out of luck on that one.

I strongly encourage membership in the local though... but we'll talk about that when you are in rookie school!
      Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by xDevilDogx View Post
        I haven't heard a single thing from the county. I don't want to seem annoying, but I'm desperate to hear something about my next appoinment. Should I call Miss Annie again and ask? Or should I wait?

Is anyone able to tell me what is too much? Are we all this neurotic and pushy? LOL
        Neurotic and pushy... well, that's a good way of putting it. I think we all just want to get hired. I know I'd rather be back at home, with a bucket, getting my butt handed to me by a county employee who's helping me get ready for the academy. It wasn't easy the first time, I'm sure it'll be the same or harder this time-- 5 years older and my old bones aren't too fond of the humidity and cold.

And I just spoke with Ms. Annie. She said the paramedics will be starting on the 22nd of Sept for their internship, and the EMT's will be coming in mid August. So rumors of the academy being pushed BACK until next year? Exactly that, rumors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
          Okay, you asked for it!

See here: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hr/PAY-...09/FPlan09.pdf

Firefighter/EMTs start at a grade 18, step 1. Fire Medics start at grade 18, step 3, I believe.

For each year of service, you go up a step. i.e. after one year, the FF/EMT will be an 18/2 (provided an acceptable performance review) and the Fire Medic will be an 18/4. At step 8, there a two year hold. Step 9 is until you have 15(?) years in the department and step 10 is 20(?) years and step 11 is 25(?) years. (I am a bit rusty on the exact years, but I think that is correct!)

When a person is promoted, they go up in grade and up or down in step to meet the 10%(?) raise limit.

F19 - Technician
          F20 - Master Technician
          F22 - Lieutenant
          F25 - Captain I
          F27 - Captain II
          F29 - Battalion Chief
          F31 - Deputy Fire Chief
          F33 - Assistant Fire Chief

On the Compensation Plan listed above, the Hourly is the 40 hour/wk hourly (day work, academy, etc) and the H3 is shift work hourly.

The short answer is that there is no simple or direct answer. A five year FF/EMT that goes from Firefighter to Technician to Lieutant will make more than the five year FF/EMT that goes directly from Firefighter to Lieutenant. That fact affects everything on up.

Clear as mud?
          Quick question on the steps in FFX, are they specific to the Fire & Rescue or are they County based. If someone had 10 years as a county teacher, laborer, lifeguard, etc. and they got on with Fire, would they start as a grade 18 step 10?
          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• Originally posted by dc5gurl View Post
            Neurotic and pushy... well, that's a good way of putting it. I think we all just want to get hired. I know I'd rather be back at home, with a bucket, getting my butt handed to me by a county employee who's helping me get ready for the academy. It wasn't easy the first time, I'm sure it'll be the same or harder this time-- 5 years older and my old bones aren't too fond of the humidity and cold.
            If you need helping getting ready I can help. I'm a certified personal trainer and I just got out of the Corps last year and consider myself to be in really good shape. Let me know, as the offer is out there....

I think I'll call again today and ask if I can be scheduled. I'm frothing at the mouth at this point

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
              Quick question on the steps in FFX, are they specific to the Fire & Rescue or are they County based. If someone had 10 years as a county teacher, laborer, lifeguard, etc. and they got on with Fire, would they start as a grade 18 step 10?
              Depends, when the department hired others who were county employees, their previous time in service was reflected in where they started on the pay scale. There is a process in place, generally your starting pay/step would be no higher than 5% above your prior pay rate.

A county employee with a decade of work as a teacher will start higher up on the pay scale, but not starting at the grade 18 step for a firefighter with a decade of experience.
              Last edited by MikeWard; 06-16-2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

If you need helping getting ready I can help. I'm a certified personal trainer and I just got out of the Corps last year and consider myself to be in really good shape. Let me know, as the offer is out there....

I think I'll call again today and ask if I can be scheduled. I'm frothing at the mouth at this point
                Thank you! Yeah, I've had my NASM for a while, but I'm a believer that people tend to work out and push themselves a lot harder in groups, at LEAST in pairs. I just need to get my head back in the game. Thank you for the offers! I'll let everyone know once I'm back in town.

I hope they're able to help you out, or at least give you some helpful information!

Comment

• Hey

It certainly pays to be persistent in this game. Polite, but persistent. I have my psych appointment all set up and if all goes well, I'll be on the list sometime early July. Annie is perhaps the most understanding and hard working individual I've ever encountered. I'm amazed at how much she does and how she remains polite and patient each and every day.

Anyway, I hope this is the last step on my path to being a student at the Fire Academy. I. Can't. Wait.

Comment

• Message Deleted.
                    Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                      For each year of service, you go up a step. i.e. after one year, the FF/EMT will be an 18/2 (provided an acceptable performance review) and the Fire Medic will be an 18/4. At step 8, there a two year hold. Step 9 is until you have 15(?) years in the department and step 10 is 20(?) years and step 11 is 25(?) years. (I am a bit rusty on the exact years, but I think that is correct!)
                      Okay, I messed up a bit on the above.

Step 9 is at 10 years, step 10 is at 15 years and step 11 is at 20 years. Local 2068 is working on a step 12 at 25 years to encourage those with more time to stay a little longer and benefit the department with their time earned experience.

Comment

I. Can't. Wait.
                        Agreed! I'm even more excited because I now have an official date that I'm coming home to Virginia (and I'm making sure to let EVERYONE know ).

July 22nd!!! I'll be landing in Dulles around noon, right in the middle of the sweltering Africa hot humidity. Take a couple of days to get the jet lag out, then?

edpmedic: If you're a member of the Aquatic center on the GMU Manassas campus, I used to go to GMU-Fairfax. It's a really nice facility. Since I've got a date that I'm going to be home, let me know the best way to get in contact with you since you don't have PM's.

I've got a lot of physical preparation ahead of me.

xDevilDogX: HAHAH my cousin's an Officer recruiter for the Marines out here in CA-- he's been trying to get me to PT with him when he's got the college students. Er... Yeah, I'll just wait until I'm back home. Would you be interested in getting together the days I'm/ we're not working out with edpmedic? A little over a month really isn't a lot of time for the level that I want to be at. Also, a good way to contact you, thanks!!!

Comment

• Consider yourself PM'd DC5gurl.

Comment

• Bump

*Bump*

How's everyone doing? Anyone receive any news?

Comment

• Message Deleted.
                              Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMCM49 View Post
                                Still waiting for some info about the 'specific poly.' I'm scheduled for it, and the psych the next day.

Its got me pretty wound up
                                Specific poly? Never heard of it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X