fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message Deleted.
    Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMCM49 View Post
      Anyone have any info (or website) on salaries/yr @ FFX? I tried googling it but to no avail. I'm looking at the salaries throughout the career/promotion.

Thanks!
      http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/recruitment/

Comment

• Message Deleted.
        Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
          Be careful what you ask for...
          ahahahahah. Mr. Kobersteen, if that's you, that's awesome. At least I know who'll I'll be looking for when I get back East. I'll try to make a few of those meetings you guys have-- I forgot where and when it is , and I'm having no luck at finding it somewhere(s) in the thread.

edpmedic: I would LOVE to train with you. I've gotten a bit soft and squishy for my own liking, and for any use in the fire service, so it's time to put my personal training cert to good use. I'd like the added motivation and the spotting, too .

Comment

• Originally posted by dc5gurl View Post
            ahahahahah. Mr. Kobersteen, if that's you, that's awesome. At least I know who'll I'll be looking for when I get back East. I'll try to make a few of those meetings you guys have-- I forgot where and when it is , and I'm having no luck at finding it somewhere(s) in the thread.

edpmedic: I would LOVE to train with you. I've gotten a bit soft and squishy for my own liking, and for any use in the fire service, so it's time to put my personal training cert to good use. I'd like the added motivation and the spotting, too .
            My work schedule alternates from week to week. Beginning this Monday, it's 7a-7p Mon-Tues-Wed, with 4 hours of class every Friday. On the opposite weeks, It's 7a-7p Sat, Sun, and Thu. If you plan on coming down, please let me know well in advance, in case I was planning a family road trip. The cpat facility will be good, as it will give you a taste of what actual academy work performance is like(way more brutal than the cpat, btw). If you're here on a different day, I belong to a gym that has free weights, a running track, pool, and adequate cardio equipment, including the stepmill, and the concept 2 rowing machine. $8/day, I'll check on guest passes.
            "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Perhaps it's my fault for not being specific enough.
              I was asking about the salaries over time at the department. e.g: salary after 1 yr, after 2 yrs, 5 yrs, 10yrs, 15, 20yrs.
              Salaries at basic rank, paramedic, LT, Capt, BC, etc.

Thanks for the help again!
              There's a chart floating around somewhere with a chart of all positions, with the pay scale by steps. Unfortunately, I don't know where it is. I do know that recruit ff/medics get just over 52000/yr in the academy, up to around 57000ish after graduation with an additional bonus of $2/hr to ride as a medic on the engine, and $3/hr to ride aas a medic on the medic unit. That results in earnings in or around $65000/yr, right out of the academy. Basics get arouns $52000/yr upon graduation. I also know that captains and above go to salary, so hourly ot is diminished. I haven't done the math, but it would appear that you can make out the best as a Lt. if you do a lot of overtime. As such, some elect to advance to capt, or BC towards the end of their career, for retirement/pension purposes.
              "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                My work schedule alternates from week to week. Beginning this Monday, it's 7a-7p Mon-Tues-Wed, with 4 hours of class every Friday. On the opposite weeks, It's 7a-7p Sat, Sun, and Thu. If you plan on coming down, please let me know well in advance, in case I was planning a family road trip. The cpat facility will be good, as it will give you a taste of what actual academy work performance is like(way more brutal than the cpat, btw). If you're here on a different day, I belong to a gym that has free weights, a running track, pool, and adequate cardio equipment, including the stepmill, and the concept 2 rowing machine. $8/day, I'll check on guest passes.
                Nice! what gym do you belong to? I'm thinking about reinstating my Gold's gym membership when I move back-- should be sometime in July. I'm hoping that'll give me enough time to get back into the groove of being a gym rat. *I'm getting older and it's not getting any easier.* I will most definitely give you a call as soon as I'm in town. Thank you so much!

Comment

• Any idea of how long of a wait it is going to be for the next process after the cpat? I took the cpats back in march and have yet to hear anything.
                  Matthew Pullen
                  Firefighter
                  Levittown Fire Company No.1
                  www.levittownfire.com

Comment

Nice! what gym do you belong to? I'm thinking about reinstating my Gold's gym membership when I move back-- should be sometime in July. I'm hoping that'll give me enough time to get back into the groove of being a gym rat. *I'm getting older and it's not getting any easier.* I will most definitely give you a call as soon as I'm in town. Thank you so much!
                    Freedom aquatic & fitness center in Manassas. I've heard that the oldest recruit to successfully complete the academy was about 50 y.o. so age shouldn't be a factor. The rest of the 126th begins in August, and I heard a rumor that the 127th may begin in Feb. Either way, I've got plenty of tricks up my sleeve to prep for academy pt. Bring a bucket. In the meantime, check out www.rosstraining.com for some sick track workouts. go to the articles, and scroll down near the bottom. I like quality over quantity,and the interval challenge, in particular.
                    Last edited by edpmedic; 06-14-2008, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                      Freedom aquatic & fitness center in Manassas. I've heard that the oldest recruit to successfully complete the academy was about 50 y.o. so age shouldn't be a factor. The rest of the 126th begins in August, and I heard a rumor that the 127th may begin in Feb. Either way, I've got plenty of tricks up my sleeve to prep for academy pt. Bring a bucket. In the meantime, check out www.rosstraining.com for some sick track workouts. go to the articles, and scroll down near the bottom. I like quality over quantity,and the interval challenge, in particular.
                      10-4 on the bucket! Well, I guess I won't have a problem getting rid of the 15 pounds that need to come off. :-\ Not to mention, combat PT-- if they even do that in this academy-- shouldn't be a problem after working out like this!

Calling Ms. Annie tomorrow to see what's up about the pushed back date for the academy. It's going to be interesting trying to find a part time gig while waiting for class to start up. *sigh*

Comment

Perhaps it's my fault for not being specific enough.
                        I was asking about the salaries over time at the department. e.g: salary after 1 yr, after 2 yrs, 5 yrs, 10yrs, 15, 20yrs.
                        Salaries at basic rank, paramedic, LT, Capt, BC, etc.
                        Okay, you asked for it!

See here: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/hr/PAY-...09/FPlan09.pdf

Firefighter/EMTs start at a grade 18, step 1. Fire Medics start at grade 18, step 3, I believe.

For each year of service, you go up a step. i.e. after one year, the FF/EMT will be an 18/2 (provided an acceptable performance review) and the Fire Medic will be an 18/4. At step 8, there a two year hold. Step 9 is until you have 15(?) years in the department and step 10 is 20(?) years and step 11 is 25(?) years. (I am a bit rusty on the exact years, but I think that is correct!)

When a person is promoted, they go up in grade and up or down in step to meet the 10%(?) raise limit.

F19 - Technician
                        F20 - Master Technician
                        F22 - Lieutenant
                        F25 - Captain I
                        F27 - Captain II
                        F29 - Battalion Chief
                        F31 - Deputy Fire Chief
                        F33 - Assistant Fire Chief

On the Compensation Plan listed above, the Hourly is the 40 hour/wk hourly (day work, academy, etc) and the H3 is shift work hourly.

The short answer is that there is no simple or direct answer. A five year FF/EMT that goes from Firefighter to Technician to Lieutant will make more than the five year FF/EMT that goes directly from Firefighter to Lieutenant. That fact affects everything on up.

Clear as mud?
                        Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

Uhhh... what meetings? CPAT practices?
                          Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Message Deleted.
                            Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Uhhh... what meetings? CPAT practices?
                              weren't there meetings at some local eatery for a group of you that happened on every... Thursday or so? I'll go muck about in the thread to see if I can find it again. If not, then hopefully, I'll meet up with you all as I'm getting my butt handed to me by edpmedic. Bring a camera. It'll be comedy! I kid.

Comment

Remember that place. The Union meetings are in the upstairs room.

The biggest thing to remember, which has been as issue with some past rookies... DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE! IF CONVICTED, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR JOB... plus it is just plain stupid.

Celebrate your new career, but for Gods sake, be careful... I may even stop by the Grill so make sure!
                                ^^^^^ I think it was this meeting that I got confused. Though, I might drop in on a union meeting since I was a union member with my department further south. Oops Sorry for the confusion!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X