fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ALBO84 View Post
    If the next academy begins on mid aug, does anyone know around what date they'll begin and end the selection process??. I only have the psych test to complete and they still havent called me for a date, it would really suck if I dont at least get on the list for this upcoming selection.
    Hey, I'm a medic currently in the 126th. If you're vying for a firefighter/emt spot, you might end up in our class. I don't know exactly when the start date will be, but we will join up someime in October, after our medic field internship. Be the squeaky wheel, show them how badly you want the job. If you get the call, it may only be with a few weeks notice, maybe around a month, based on past experiences. I highly recommend that you come into the academy IN SHAPE. These first few weeks had some of my classmates puking, and dry heaving, as well. Showing up in good physical condition will show the academy staff that you take this opportunity seriously. Expect a lot of running, and calisthenics, including pushups, burpees, jumping jacks, copious amounts of ab/core work, and weight room circuits 45 secs on/ 30 secs off, for about 45 minutes, or more. Some of the trainers do crossfit, so I anticipate some of our future workouts to be sadistic. Good luck!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• if you get hired as a FF/EMT if they will pay for you to get your paramedic cert?
      Last edited by eng1irons; 05-19-2008, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• next selection- early August?

Per my conversation with Ms. Annie this afternoon? She's stated there will be a selection beginning the first week in August. *cross fingers, hope, pray* good luck 2 those hoping 2 get selected!
        Last edited by dc5gurl; 05-19-2008, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• anybody take the cpat this saturday? i did and passed, now its just a waiting game for the poly, medical and psych.

anybody know if they make arrangements for people coming from out of state? i live in new york and would hate to have to drive 5 and a half hours each way for each of the 3 tests.

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
            Hey, I'm a medic currently in the 126th. If you're vying for a firefighter/emt spot, you might end up in our class. I don't know exactly when the start date will be, but we will join up someime in October, after our medic field internship. Be the squeaky wheel, show them how badly you want the job. If you get the call, it may only be with a few weeks notice, maybe around a month, based on past experiences. I highly recommend that you come into the academy IN SHAPE. These first few weeks had some of my classmates puking, and dry heaving, as well. Showing up in good physical condition will show the academy staff that you take this opportunity seriously. Expect a lot of running, and calisthenics, including pushups, burpees, jumping jacks, copious amounts of ab/core work, and weight room circuits 45 secs on/ 30 secs off, for about 45 minutes, or more. Some of the trainers do crossfit, so I anticipate some of our future workouts to be sadistic. Good luck!
            Well I know there's 2 positions, one is firefighter I, which i'm aplying for and the other one is firefighter/paramedic, today I called recruting and I asked what was the hold up on the psych tests, and the guy (I dunno who he was) told me that they weren't escheduling anybody for it at the moment, but he assured me that I would get scheduled before the next selection proccess, hopefully he ain't blowing smoke up my @$$, anyway I hear a lot of people saying that they talk to Ms Annie and she seems to know whats going on better than anyone in there, how do i contact her? do I just call recruitment and ask to speak with her directly or does she have another phone #?

Comment

• Originally posted by eng1irons View Post
              anybody know if they make arrangements for people coming from out of state? i live in new york and would hate to have to drive 5 and a half hours each way for each of the 3 tests.
              They have done it in the past, yes. Ask and ye shall recieve.
              Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• For everyone waiting for their medical appointments after the cpat, it is going to be a long wait. I passed the cpats back in March and have yet to hear anything regarding moving on. I contacted recruitment today and they said all I can do is wait. So to warn you, don't expect to hear anything to soon.
                Last edited by mpullen32; 05-19-2008, 10:09 PM.
                Matthew Pullen
                Firefighter
                Levittown Fire Company No.1
                www.levittownfire.com

Comment

• I got the same story today... is it because there busy putting the medics through first? Hiring freeze maybe?
                  The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by FirefighterPEP View Post
                    Hiring freeze maybe?
                    Haven't heard that rumor. I sincerely doubt it.

Prior to this year, Fairfax County would have 2 classes in at the same time. One in its first weeks as the other was in its final weeks.

Now, they are only putting through one class at a time. The only exception are the 'pre-hire' ALS providers, but a majority of their time is in the field completing internship requirements.
                    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• room

hey do any of you guys in the 126th need a room to rent? Its a good spot, and has been occupied by at least 5 Fairfax County Firemen over the years, PM me for the specifics.
                      Last edited by formerbuckeye; 05-21-2008, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Well I know there's 2 positions, one is firefighter I, which i'm aplying for and the other one is firefighter/paramedic, today I called recruting and I asked what was the hold up on the psych tests, and the guy (I dunno who he was) told me that they weren't escheduling anybody for it at the moment, but he assured me that I would get scheduled before the next selection proccess, hopefully he ain't blowing smoke up my @$$, anyway I hear a lot of people saying that they talk to Ms Annie and she seems to know whats going on better than anyone in there, how do i contact her? do I just call recruitment and ask to speak with her directly or does she have another phone #?
                        You can call recruiting & ask for Ms. Annie. She's the liason between candidates & the recruiting staff. When I was in the office for testing, she told me she does most of the scheduling, but that the Capt's have more pull when it comes to expediting the hiring process.

They have firefighters & other personnel working in that office, too. So you might've spoken to one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by eng1irons View Post
                          anybody take the cpat this saturday? i did and passed, now its just a waiting game for the poly, medical and psych.

When I applied and went through the process they did allow me to take the poly, psyche, and medical all in one shot in 3 days. Unfortunately its only on the weekdays.

edpmedic, the burn went really well. Hopefully our unit 1 will go the same.
                          the first day of regular recruit class is August 18th for the 126th. I haven't heard any news of any other new start dates for the 127th.

Comment

• Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
                            When I applied and went through the process they did allow me to take the poly, psyche, and medical all in one shot in 3 days. Unfortunately its only on the weekdays.

edpmedic, the burn went really well. Hopefully our unit 1 will go the same.
                            the first day of regular recruit class is August 18th for the 126th. I haven't heard any news of any other new start dates for the 127th.
                            Good luck with unit 1! Everyone I've spoken with from the 125th seems confident. We finally got through our first morning run without anyone vomiting. I did the med/poly/psych over three consecutive days, also. This option was offered to me without even having to ask. Recruitment is very good with out of towners with scheduling.
                            "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well after a long hiatus I am getting back in my right mind, and back on the boards. Sooo if I can help any candidates, I will.

ALB084- I can guarantee that no one in recruitment or the entire department will blow smoke or misinform you. The department prides itself on honesty and you can be terminated for being dishonest. I was only in the process for 3 months before getting hired to the 126th. It seemed like no one knew what was going on or when the calls would go out, but they have 4000+ apps a year so be patient. Miss Anne is your best bet and she is awesome, awesome, awesome. Most of the Medics in the 126th got an average of 4 weeks notice before having to be here for day 1. (3 weeks for 3 of us). If you look at some of my posts you'll see that patience is not a quality I possess, but it is the best thing you can do right now. Call A.D. every couple of weeks. If you need other advice same name as here at gmail.

Stay safe as you all walk where the devil dances.

edpmedic...I'll be in Florida testing next week, when I come back I'll cook dinner for you and the family. Also I haven't puked or nearly passed out from working out since the last run I did, maybe you could help me with that. lol
                              My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• PT at FFx

edpmedic what kind of distance/pace are you guys doing now in the academy? Are they doing a lot of the crossfit style workouts?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X