Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kobersteen
    Thank God you logged on Mike, I was getting dangerously close to the limit of my knowledge!

You know I got your back!

http://home.gwu.edu/~mikeward/

Comment

well, i got my letter today, my written exam date is april 15th. i imagine that everyone who applys gets an exam, but im still excited. one step closer to going career. i know im not ALS, but hopefully, the fact that ive already graduated a fire academy will help.? gotta start making plans to find somewhere to stay up there, and wether to drive or fly.

Comment

Keep Trying!

I am not an EMT-P, I have been a volunteer in a neighboring jurisdiction for about 5 years now, and I was just hired for the 118th recruit class. I can't wait to get started!!!! There are a lot of recruit classes coming up, and it sounds like they will be hiring pretty continuously for the near future. Good luck to all.

Comment

Originally posted by thelife
          I am not an EMT-P, I have been a volunteer in a neighboring jurisdiction for about 5 years now, and I was just hired for the 118th recruit class.
          Congradulations!

If I may ask, how long did it take you from application to finding out that you were placed in a rookie school?

Seeya on the other side!
          Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

Placement as a rookie

Kobersteen,

If you get hired by Fairfax County and complete recruit school how do they place you in a fire House. Do you float from fire house to fire house your first year or do they assign you a fire house to work out of? Do you get to put in prefrences for places you would like to work or is it just where ever they see fit to put you?

Thanks for the info.
            "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Comment

Kobersteen,

I got my letter of completion for the process a little over a year ago, and its been approx. 2 years since I applied. The reason it took so long for me to go from application to letter of completion was my vision, I had to have LASIK, which, by the way, is the greatest thing since sliced bread (I now have 20/20 vision). Thanks for the info, it is a huge help to those in the applications process/looking to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by ant195
                If you get hired by Fairfax County and complete recruit school how do they place you in a fire House.
                Tall ones to truck companies, strong ones to heavy rescue units, smart ones that can type to houses with battalion chiefs, and everyone else on an ambulance!

[Just kidding]

You are assigned to a fire station based on where the vacancies exist at the time you graduate. Because you have to complete a documented probationary period, you will generally NOT be assigned to a slow outpost like Gunston, Clifton or Great Falls. During your probation time you will be assigned to tours on aerials, ems transport units, rescue companies and engines.

ALS certified rookies will also be required to complete their field internship, generally that will take precedence over their fire probation. Your field officer is responsible to assure that you complete the required experiences, tasks and competencies at the three, six and nine month mark.

Your battalion management team (battalion chief and ems supervisor) will review your progress with your field supervisor. The completion of your probation period as a firefighter is 12 months AFTER you have graduated from recruit school.

While finishing recruit school you will be asked to list your three fire station preferences, but there is no guarantee. Not even for the recruit that finishes the class ranked #1.

Mike
                38th Recruit School
                (notice that thelife will be in the 118th)
                Last edited by MikeWard; 02-26-2006, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thelife
                  I am not an EMT-P, I have been a volunteer in a neighboring jurisdiction for about 5 years now, and I was just hired for the 118th recruit class. I can't wait to get started!!!! There are a lot of recruit classes coming up, and it sounds like they will be hiring pretty continuously for the near future. Good luck to all.
                  Congratulations on making it into the 118th! I hope to write in with the same news in the next 12-16 months! Keep us posted on how the academy is!

Comment

"We had one fire helmet for the entire crew, back in the day!" - Ward

Originally posted by MikeWard
                    Mike
                    38th Recruit School
                    (notice that thelife will be in the 118th)
                    Right... like anyone who knows you needs to be reminded that your probation was over when you were able to feed the horses and clean their stables by yourself.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info MikeWard and Kobersteen. Do either of you guys know the average time from testing to placement of recruits in the process? I have read the posts and people say 6 some say 9 months some took a year or more?
                      I am not ALS so I am not a priority I know so I was just wondering the time frame.

Thanks
                      "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Comment

Originally posted by Kobersteen
                        Right... like anyone who knows you needs to be reminded that your probation was over when you were able to feed the horses and clean their stables by yourself.
                        They took that skill sheet out of the probie manual

ant: It varies - 6 months to two years. I told the community college students to plan on one year.

Recruitment should be able to give you an idea. The fire department is not the one deciding how many to hire, that decision comes from the county executive.
                        Last edited by MikeWard; 02-27-2006, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeWard
                          1)What is important to YOU is that many of them are reaching the limit of their allowable time in the DROP program - so they will be compelled to complete their agreement with the county and retire at the end of their DROP period. The first group should be approaching their deadline this summer.

4) Finally, the need for additional paramedic/firefighters is that the department is upgrading some BLS ambulances to ALS over the next couple of budget cycles. Medic 438 (West Centerville) is due this month.
                          Can't tell you Mike (and Kobersteen) how valuable your input is. Thanks for taking the time to help us and give such useful and SPECIFIC information from "the other side"! It really helps us plan our approach and get our ducks in a row.

Question... in FX how do they assign FF ALS Medics to the apparatus? Do new medics typically work the ambulance or the engine or do they move them there later on according to seniority (I've read so many different things)? What about suppression...on a structure fire scene do they ever send medics into buildings, what about MVAs? I guess what I'm getting at is whether or not FF ALS medics ever work suppression? If not, why in FX do they want them trained for both then - have the ever really been used to assist in suppression at the scene??

Comment

Originally posted by tucker9
                            in FX how do they assign FF ALS Medics to the apparatus? Do new medics typically work the ambulance or the engine or do they move them there later on according to seniority (I've read so many different things)? What about suppression...on a structure fire scene do they ever send medics into buildings, what about MVAs? I guess what I'm getting at is whether or not FF ALS medics ever work suppression?
                            Since 1949 everyone starts as a firefighter. The GOAL is to move from a 20+ year old dual track rank structure (EMS and Fire) to a unified structure where everyone is competent as a structural firefighter and performs at the appropriate ems provider level (EMT or medic.) The PROCESS remains long and painful.

I am sure that, even after your EMS Captain ride-a-long, the assignment of ALS firefighters remains confusing. Only Los Angeles city has a more complex system.

Let's look at a hypothetical situation. Engine and Medic 444, A shift. There will be three ALS provider positions assigned to A shift, at least one will be an officer. The concept is that the three providers will take turns riding as the designated paramedic on Engine 444 or staffing Medic 444.

If you are on the medic unit you will have all of your personal protective clothing and access to self-contained breathing apparatus. You *MAY* be assigned a fire suppression role, like Medic 409 was in evacuating residents from a fast moving apartment fire on Arlington Drive. That included operating a hand line.

If you are on the engine company, you are part of a four person fire suppression team, expected to fully participate in firefighting activities. Since 80% of the engine runs are ems first responder calls ...

Let's talk for a second about the bosses. About half of the command officers at the rank of battalion chief through fire chief spent time as an ALS provider, including the fire chief.

The fire chief worked as an ALS/firefighter at Bailey's CrossRoads before getting promoted as a company officer at Penn Daw. Shortly after his arrival at Penn Daw he was the first arriving officer at a garden apartment explosion and collapse in Hybla Valley.
                            Last edited by MikeWard; 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Kobersteen and Mikeward,

Could you please e-mail me at [email protected] I am a career Firefighter/Paramedic here in the midwest and would really love to move to the east coast and work for a larger city or county dept. All of your help here has been great but I still have many questions, I have looked in to Fairfax and Henrico counties as well as D.C. and a few larger cities in the state of Virginia.
                              Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tucker9
                                ...in FX how do they assign FF ALS Medics to the apparatus? Do new medics typically work the ambulance or the engine or do they move them there later on according to seniority (I've read so many different things)?
                                One thing that Mike didn't mention, that is unique in Fairfax County, is the fact that, until something drastically changes, you will not be riding in charge of a medic unit until you promote to at least Lieutenant.

Prior to us getting an intern, I rode or drove the engine every other tour and drove the medic unit on the other tour.

Much depends on if the supression officer is ALS or not. If they are, and you have a medic unit in the house, chances are you will be on the medic unit every day. If you do not have a medic unit in the house, you will be detailed every day. Much depends on the staffing of the station.
                                Last edited by Kobersteen; 02-27-2006, 07:05 PM. Reason: Correcting for my fat fingers...

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X