fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by powerhouseoflp View Post
    ill tell you right now not to discourage anyone from ffx county, but about 3 years ago, i took that horrible test and went through the crappy polygraph test, made it through all the testing process to get fitted for uniforms, when i was in the wharehouse i asked one of the workers what my odds were when i was there, he replied "you have won the lottery but havent recieved your cash yet" so i was like cool, cant wait, then i waited, waited, waited waited, and waited some more, now remember i was fitted for everything, the i got a letter stating i was not was ffx was looking for, a week after i got that letter i started the DC fire academy, now im happy that crap hole place never hired me cause im working for the nations capitol , and when you go around and visit other fire depts in this country, no one ever hears about crappy county fire depts, just big cities, PS just a little hint from talkin to guys about ffx thier nickname are fairfags cause they are not interior firefighters, just a heads up to everyone, take the DC test at least you know you will be a firefighter
    Well, I guess our psychological test really works if recruitment didn't pick you. It's ok to be bitter, but to bash on fellow brother and sister firefighters is by no means a quality of a "real firefighter". You say that no one ever hears about county departments but its funny that L.A. County and Fairfax County is known nationwide to be the only departments that have USAR teams that go internationally. Our O.H.C. is in the forefront for firefighter health and fitness.

Originally posted by jdmedic View Post
    Hi Sir,
    Well the first week is over and if I try to lift my arm for deoderant, bend down to pick something off the floor or generally make any purposeful movement, I hurt. I am physicaly behind the other recruits but with the help of edpmedic, I know that in 3 months when the academy starts, I will be ready. (The man is not human, and I fully intend on seeing if he has to plug himself in to a wall at night). I have to be honest, this is as difficult as boot camp in the army was if not harder, and I am 35, not 18. I know I can make it, if I live through it. I also know a lot of it is a game with the prize being I will not be the next statistic kobersteen, but it is hard and we aren't even doing the hard stuff yet. I did a Prof. Firefighter Academy in Denver and it was cake compared to this.
    A little advice to anyone who gets hired, you are not fit enough, even if you think you are. (Unless you are an olympic weightlifter-edp? lol) I passed the cpat in 8:42 3 months ago and am struggling with the PT at the academey.

And to the guy who cuts down other departments, especially one of the top deartments in the country (Fairfax) I am sorry for you already. Your attitude if not changed, will be your downfall.

P.S. If anyone needs to shave, you can borrow my shoes. And yes it means what you think..... They are Glass.
    Basic Training Staff works with you if you aren't as prepared as you thought you were. They start off gradually with cardio and progressing as the weeks go by. Soon you will be introduced to WPE and circuit training in the weight room. My advice is not to cheat and take it as time to get prepared for suppression. I am in the 125th and its physically and mentally draining once you're in suppression time, but basic training does a good job of preparing you. My advice is to keep up with the PT since once your internship starts, no one is going to be yelling at you to PT. When you come back to the academy it will be the first week of suppression a.k.a. hellweek/chop'til you drop so be prepared. Stay safe and remember to take it as one day at a time.

Comment

• First off, thank you Kobersteen, Dennisthemenace, localva, and MikeWard for the answers and the information!

The thread has been informative, albeit the flaming towards the end, and has also left me as another who's anxiously awaiting a phone call, letter, or some sort of notification from the selection committee.

I am a female minority with a degree from the local uni within the county-- Go Mason!-- and I also hold an ALS certification that won't be expiring until next May. Yes, I have some structural fire experience, too!

I have also kept in close contact with Ms. Annie, and I agree that the woman is unbelievable when it comes to setting up appointments and dealing with me along with the other kazillion candidates. I've also met Capt. Stroup, and she is also a good person to speak with .

My progress through the hiring process has been thus far-- per Ms. Annie:
      Written test-- completed with a fairly high score
      Medical-- pending a Class A upon review from the PA (all necessary results have come in and things look good)
      CPAT-- received certification from California testing site
      Polygraph-- completed and passed
      Psych eval-- completed and recommended

She has also informed me that the next academy will, tentatively, begin mid August and then late September-- for those ALS candidates.

I googled Fairfax County Fire Academy in hopes of some answers of how strenuous it was and found this thread. Towards the end, got a good giggle from jdmedic's response about the pains of PT-- sounds like my kinda place for a sick masochistic personal trainer! Yes, I'm also a personal trainer.

So for anyone else who's "in the process," good luck. I hope to meet some of you in the academy (keeps fingers crossed)! For the rest who are almost done with the twenty some odd weeks of "hell," it's worth it, stay low. Hopefully, I'll be a FFx FF/PM soon!

Comment

• jklm, how did the burn go this Saturday? When we're doing the internship this summer, we're planning to meet at least once a week, on Friday, after training at Tyson's, for a group run, and hopefully some lifting. I have some good ideas for anerobic/lactate threshold training, that should help us when we return to supression. I've been warned about "chop till you drop", and I have a plan for that, as well. Also, If the dept. would allow it, I'd love to do circuits, while on gear/air, of hitting the sled/hose pull. That would be a real puker.
        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• *repost-- removed*
          Last edited by dc5gurl; 05-13-2008, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
            Also, If the dept. would allow it, I'd love to do circuits, while on gear/air, of hitting the sled/hose pull. That would be a real puker.
            You'll have plenty of practice doing that during suppression training. Stick with your original Friday workout idea.
            Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Hello everyone! sorry if any of these posts are repeats. It took a while for them to be approved by a moderator
              Last edited by dc5gurl; 05-13-2008, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                You'll have plenty of practice doing that during suppression training. Stick with your original Friday workout idea.
                Will do, sir. I have a tendency to do too much with PT. I'm sure that I'll get my fill, and then some, and then some more, when we return for supression this fall.
                "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                  Will do, sir. I have a tendency to do too much with PT. I'm sure that I'll get my fill, and then some, and then some more, when we return for supression this fall.
                  Also keep in mind to stick together. If possible, work out together, but keep it simple, but effective, for those 'simple PT people' like me. After you part ways for the day, you can turn to the Atlas Stones, the Pillars of Hercules and small cars to maintain your own level.

Your team is only as strong as the weakest one on it. Remind me on the 20th to give you the name of someone that might be able to help you with formulating a program and facility that those interested can take advantage of.

Comment

• No reply

I sent in my appeal letter two weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know how long the appeal process takes and when I might hear back from them?

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMCM49 View Post
                      Thank for the input. I've already called and gotten clarification. Turns out the samples need to be collected within 10 days prior of the medical exam. So, game on.
                      So as far as the stress test, how long do they keep you on the treadmill? Is quitting a failure criterion? Running, walking, handstanding? I'm stoked.. Thanks in advance.
                      they keep you on the treadmill for as long as your heart rate will allow. They're going for a certain number so once you reach your target heart rate? it's done. Aim for at least 15 minutes, slight jog uphill.

Comment

• Message Deleted.
                        Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by CMCM49 View Post
                          No idea on the appeals process.
                          Anyone able to describe the stress test?
                          stress test= 12 lead ekg, then another one while on treadmill with gradually increasing incline.

Comment

• Originally posted by xDevilDogx View Post
                            I sent in my appeal letter two weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know how long the appeal process takes and when I might hear back from them?

I'd give them a quick and polite buzz to inquire on the status.

Anyone able to describe the stress test?
                            "Google and ye shall find." - Book of Gates, Internet Bible

http://www.heartsite.com/html/regular_stress.html

Comment

• selection dates

If the next academy begins on mid aug, does anyone know around what date they'll begin and end the selection process??. I only have the psych test to complete and they still havent called me for a date, it would really suck if I dont at least get on the list for this upcoming selection.

Comment

• Originally posted by ALBO84 View Post
                                If the next academy begins on mid aug, does anyone know around what date they'll begin and end the selection process??. I only have the psych test to complete and they still havent called me for a date, it would really suck if I dont at least get on the list for this upcoming selection.
                                According to Ms. Annie, she's stated that the selection process should be done late July, but there's no actual set date.

Trust, I've tried asking many times because I'm moving cross country to come home for this job if I get it.

However, from the sounds of it, Fairfax has been known, via the info on this thread, that they'll give anywhere from 2-5 weeks of notice to report for duty.

The only 2 bits of information that are set are the dates: August 17th and September 29th.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X