Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a place in Brambleton

Just wanted to say we found a place in Brambleton that is pretty nice. Thanks everybody for your help. Also if there is a medic coming down for April 28th that can't find a place, I have an extra empty room for the next month and a half you could use until you find a place.

After getting fitted for uniforms and seeing the size of the warehouse it makes it feel real that it's happening. It is the greatest feeling on earth.

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmedic View Post
      Just wanted to say we found a place in Brambleton that is pretty nice. Thanks everybody for your help. Also if there is a medic coming down for April 28th that can't find a place, I have an extra empty room for the next month and a half you could use until you find a place.

After getting fitted for uniforms and seeing the size of the warehouse it makes it feel real that it's happening. It is the greatest feeling on earth.

Good deal. I was able to tour one of the firehouses while I was in town, and I was quite impressed, to say the least. Everyone I met at the house were really cool, personable, and seemed happy. In fact, that's one thing I picked up during the hiring process, the general "vibe", the morale of the personnel seemed quite positive, everyone I've met appears quite content to be employed here. I haven't felt any negative energy from my experiences here, thus far. Everyone seems willing to help in any way possible, without even being asked. I've worked for several agencies, some good, some not so good, and I've seen some very **** poor attitudes toward the employer, or the job in general. I used to **** off one of my old partners by calling him "scribble boy"( the peanuts character that's always ****ed, as shown by the circular scribbles above his head). We're very fortunate and lucky to have this opportunity, and I look forward to working alongside a great bunch of people.
      "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Those of you who passed the CPAT on March 15th - have you heard anything since then? (besides receiving the CPAT completion certificate)

Comment

• Message Deleted.
          Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• I used my cpat scores from another agency, would I still receive a cert from Fairfax showing that I passed it at all?
            Matthew Pullen
            Firefighter
            Levittown Fire Company No.1
            www.levittownfire.com

Comment

• Strange thing happened....

Strange thing happened....

I was told by the detective that administered the polygraph that I had passed the polygraph....

And then I got a letter yesterday saying that "upon review of your application, we have determined you do not meet the standards of the Fairfax County Fire Department"

What? Why? I'm so tired of being rejected that I feel like giving up....
              But that's not who I am. What can I do now that would help me in the future?

Thanks in advance....

Devildog

Comment

• Originally posted by xDevilDogx View Post

I was told by the detective that administered the polygraph that I had passed the polygraph....

And then I got a letter yesterday saying that "upon review of your application, we have determined you do not meet the standards of the Fairfax County Fire Department"

Thanks in advance....

Devildog
                If you were disqualified due to the poly, try submitting a protest, in writing, to request another. Fairfax may be your first choice, but you should be testing for all of the surrounding counties, as well. Try Prince William, Loudon, Spotsylvania, Anne Arundel, Montgomery, Annapolis, DC, to name a few. You mentioned that you're "so tired of being rejected", is there a specific reason(s) as to why you're being rejected repeatedly? Also, getting some street experience as an emt, then securing the nremt-p, would boost your chances, significantly.
                "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by xDevilDogx View Post

Well, first of all, you need to find out WHY you were rejected. It may not be the poly at all. Whomever you were dealing with in recruitment, give them a buzz and ask why you were rejected. Don't get into it then, this is where the paper trail is important.

Let me know by return e-mail to [email protected] what they tell you and I'll try to help you further.

Do not quit. Anything worth having is worth fighting for.

Hell, I appealed Houston Fire and won, DC EMS and won and Fairfax Fire and won.

Good luck!
                  Last edited by Kobersteen; 04-15-2008, 07:37 PM.
                  Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by wre722 View Post
                    Those of you who passed the CPAT on March 15th - have you heard anything since then? (besides receiving the CPAT completion certificate)
                    I have'nt heard a damn thing yet... I called them up last week to follow up on my application. Forgot who I talked to though. He said it takes two to three months to get scheduled for a med/poly...

Does it really take this long to here back from them?
                    I'm a patient man, and all of us know how frustrating it gets.

Originally posted by CMCM49 View Post
                    I've been contacted, and have scheduled for the med/poly for may. My employers have all gotten letters as well.
                    When did you hear from them?
                    Last edited by FirefighterPEP; 04-16-2008, 09:25 PM.
                    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Comment

• cpat and academy physical prep

Hello all, I'm just settling in here, happy that the move is over. Thanks again to jdmedic for the assist. I'm excited to be starting on Monday, and meeting up with the "12 pack" of medic recruits. It'll be great when we eventually hook up with the fire/emt recruits, later. Anyway, I'd like to offer advice to anyone with an impending cpat, or in training for a possible job offer. I've analyzed the cpat, and have spoken with buddies at FDNY to get insight as to what demands field conditions impose on our physiology. Just shoot me an email, I'll be happy to help. I make you strong like bull. If anyone is living locally, I'd be happy to bring out the kettlebells, push cars around the parking lot, and whatnot.

Comment

• taking my written and cpat on july 18th. need to save some money to get up there.

Comment

• So 126th ALS Rookies, how was your first day of work?
                          Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                            So 126th ALS Rookies, how was your first day of work?
                            Hello sir, how have you been? It was great to finally meet everyone. It was a somewhat casual, relaxed day, with the exception of having four shots administered. Union enrollment was 100%, I believe. Tomorrow, the fun and games are over, as the academy will have us in their clutches. I'm looking forward to it, though. Everyone was cool, I think we'll work together well, as a team. Unbeknownst to me, one of my old bls partners from NY is in this class, and lives about five minutes away.

Comment

• education

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
                              Only if you have a "keep up with the Joneses" lifestyle.* Otherwise you can deffinately get by OK and raise your kids with one of the greatest public school systems in the world.
                              If you are planning on having kids when you move there (I realize that may be a far off situation but keep this in mind) I went to literally one of the best elementary schools in VA and I lived in Fairfax county. Paired with what people are saying about the fire department there, it seems to be gold.

Comment

• Message Deleted.
                                Last edited by CMCM49; 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X