Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Marshall7 View Post
    If you were to apply as an ER tech within the inova health systems you could make 15 an hour with your experience. Not great but not terrible for the position. If I were you man I'd honestly look 45 mins west or 45 minutes south. You dont want to strain your family life working two stressful jobs like that. Your quality of life would suck.
    He makes a good point, if you can live a little further out for a year while at the academy and your probation, you might be able to do a little better for yourself. But with a kid, forceing them to change schools every year might not be the best either. Will also be tough to have a second job while at the academy. After your probationary period you will have no problem finding a job in this market. You might even want to do something other than EMS after a few shifts. We have one guy at our house who works for the public schools as sort of a roving subsitute school nurse on his days off.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

    Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

    Originally posted by nyckftbl
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
      He makes a good point, if you can live a little further out for a year while at the academy and your probation, you might be able to do a little better for yourself. But with a kid, forceing them to change schools every year might not be the best either. Will also be tough to have a second job while at the academy. After your probationary period you will have no problem finding a job in this market. You might even want to do something other than EMS after a few shifts. We have one guy at our house who works for the public schools as sort of a roving subsitute school nurse on his days off.
      We found a decent place, an apartment community with a pool, sauna, jacuzzi, and a gym with a personal trainer(free), with management office on premises. The apartments are in excellent condition, built in 1989, and the grounds are clean, quiet, and well landscaped. We'll be paying about $1050/month, after concessions. There is an elementary school down the street. The surrounding area seems safe. It's off of Sudley Rd, rear the Costco, near Rt. 66. We'll check with the police in regards to crime stats. Our application is currently being processed, so we have one day to do a little research. I don't know about the schools in the area, but my daughter is preschool age, so we'l reevaluate next year.
      "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

      Comment


      • Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
        We found a decent place, an apartment community with a pool, sauna, jacuzzi, and a gym with a personal trainer(free), with management office on premises. The apartments are in excellent condition, built in 1989, and the grounds are clean, quiet, and well landscaped. We'll be paying about $1050/month, after concessions. There is an elementary school down the street. The surrounding area seems safe. It's off of Sudley Rd, rear the Costco, near Rt. 66. We'll check with the police in regards to crime stats. Our application is currently being processed, so we have one day to do a little research. I don't know about the schools in the area, but my daughter is preschool age, so we'l reevaluate next year.
        Many of the schools out that way are fairly new, as the area has had a huge boom since the mid-90's. You will have short drive to the academy, but after that it might be a bit of a challange getting to other stations in a timely manner. The transportation infrastructure out there has not really kept up with growth, but PW county and the state are working on it. You are in a pretty historical area with Bull Run and Manassas Battle fields right around the corner.
        Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
        -Big Russ

        Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

        Originally posted by nyckftbl
        LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
          Many of the schools out that way are fairly new, as the area has had a huge boom since the mid-90's. You will have short drive to the academy, but after that it might be a bit of a challange getting to other stations in a timely manner. The transportation infrastructure out there has not really kept up with growth, but PW county and the state are working on it. You are in a pretty historical area with Bull Run and Manassas Battle fields right around the corner.
          We were approved, and accepted the apartment.The indoor hot tub is pretty sweet. If I'll have start times around 0630, I should be able to avoid the rush hour traffic.
          "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

          Comment


          • Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
            We were approved, and accepted the apartment.The indoor hot tub is pretty sweet. If I'll have start times around 0630, I should be able to avoid the rush hour traffic.
            Hey edpmedic I just got hired for the als pilot program as well and was wondering what the name of these apartments are and what area they are near. I think that you may have spoke to my best friend who also got hired. Let me know man cuz I am in the same position with a family and all

            Comment


            • Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
              We were approved, and accepted the apartment.The indoor hot tub is pretty sweet. If I'll have start times around 0630, I should be able to avoid the rush hour traffic.
              Congratulations!

              Sorry, but rush hour starts at 5am for the folks at the Pentagon heading in on I-66 and I-395.

              Good luck with everything!
              Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
              -Big Russ

              Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

              Originally posted by nyckftbl
              LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                We were approved, and accepted the apartment.The indoor hot tub is pretty sweet. If I'll have start times around 0630, I should be able to avoid the rush hour traffic.
                0630? During the academy you need to be there well before 0600. When you're working at a station you better be there by 0600.

                0630 is "late".
                Eh?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by xDevilDogx View Post
                  Anyway, my question (you knew it was coming) is for Kobersteen or anyone else in the department with a little knowledge. I understand it's completely subjective, but:

                  Can meritorious military service outweigh stupidity in one's youth?
                  Sorry I missed this one DD.

                  I honestly don't know, but it certainly shouldn't hurt! I'd proceed through the process and if things turn bad, then you can appeal and explain yourself.

                  The fact that you have passed the poly (BTW, who told you that you passed?) is a good sign.

                  I hope that helps! Right now, unfortunately, there isn't much to do but keep up with recruitment and be flexible in scheduling for the remaining parts of the process.

                  Good luck!
                  Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

                  "It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

                  Comment


                  • Thanks!

                    Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                    Sorry I missed this one DD.

                    The fact that you have passed the poly (BTW, who told you that you passed?) is a good sign.

                    I hope that helps! Right now, unfortunately, there isn't much to do but keep up with recruitment and be flexible in scheduling for the remaining parts of the process.

                    Good luck!
                    Thanks, Kober, I appreciate your input.

                    To answer your question, the Detective that I took the polygraph with told me that I had passed. I believe he was fellow Marine and called soon after I took my poly to confirm that I had indeed passed. Real nice guy....

                    Thanks for the good luck wish. I think I may be needing it. I guess I'll just move forward and hope for the best. I hope the department sees my potential, though. I know I would make an excellent firefighter.

                    And congratulations to all who've been accepted in to the next recruit class. An old friend of mine, Tim, recently received the call, too. He's a former Marine and an Eagle Scout with a four year degree. Fairfax County would've been remiss to not recruit him. He's pretty much the perfect candidate.

                    Comment


                    • If traffic starts that early, I'll probably show up early, and do my weight training before the shift starts. My new place is about ten miles from the academy, and only two exits on I-66. After being about 1 1/2 hours early for a while, out of lateness paranoia, I'll have a better understanding of the traffic patterns, hopefully.
                      "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

                      Comment


                      • Also, I may need help moving in. I've been trying to coordinate with the other recruits, but I'm not sure if our schedules will jive. I'll need the help on 4/20, in the morning, probably starting between 0900-1100, if possible. We'll do the boxes, and other small stuff. I just need help with the living room, master bedroom, kids bedroom, and the dining room table. It's about 14 pieces in all, and I would be suprised if it took over 1 1/2 hours. Nothing is particularly heavy, no refrigerator. The movers we used the last time weren't exactly jacked, and had no problem carrying our stuff. You'll be compensated, as well. I'd much rather pay one of you, rather than the movers, which will cost us about $300-400. I'll be available to help any others moving in, as well, for free(if you throw in a six pack of Sam Adams, or Dos Equis dark, I won't complain). This offer extends to the fire/emt's coming in, as well.
                        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                          Also, I may need help moving in. I've been trying to coordinate with the other recruits, but I'm not sure if our schedules will jive. I'll need the help on 4/20, in the morning, probably starting between 0900-1100, if possible. We'll do the boxes, and other small stuff. I just need help with the living room, master bedroom, kids bedroom, and the dining room table. It's about 14 pieces in all, and I would be suprised if it took over 1 1/2 hours. Nothing is particularly heavy, no refrigerator. The movers we used the last time weren't exactly jacked, and had no problem carrying our stuff. You'll be compensated, as well. I'd much rather pay one of you, rather than the movers, which will cost us about $300-400. I'll be available to help any others moving in, as well, for free(if you throw in a six pack of Sam Adams, or Dos Equis dark, I won't complain). This offer extends to the fire/emt's coming in, as well.
                          I'm up for helping you out, no payment necessary. Just wanna meet all the new recruits and give helpful insights and tips. Are you one of the 17 pre hires for the 126?

                          Comment


                          • I'll help

                            I'll help you, too, free of charge. I'm just interested in how you did it and telling me more about the process is the only payment I'd ask for. What time and where on the 20th?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
                              I'm up for helping you out, no payment necessary. Just wanna meet all the new recruits and give helpful insights and tips. Are you one of the 17 pre hires for the 126?
                              Thanks for the offer! I sent you an e-mail. Yes, I'm one of the pre hires for the 126.
                              "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
                                Are you one of the 17 pre hires for the 126?
                                Actually, as of today, there are 12 prehires in the 126th. All are NR-P's.
                                Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

                                "It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X