Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALS Calls went out 2day

I was told all ALS for the April 28th start date were called today. My friend was called and I was not. (Both Medics) I called A.D. again after not being called and asked about it. She informed me that the capt. had left for the day and all calls were made for ALS, so if I didn't get the call I didn't get a job.

I emailed recruitment to see what was up and hope to hear from them tomorrow. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. I asked for a file review today. I have other offers but am major league bummed about this, pretty sure if I didn't get it this time it will collect dust for 2 years.. I want a career not another job.

Congrats to all who made it and got the call today. And to my best friend that made it on today. God Bless you man, you deserve it.
    Last edited by jdmedic; 03-25-2008, 07:07 PM. Reason: addition
    My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
      It amazes me that Tyson's is not listed in the "Shopping Centers"
      Right! But they do have University Mall listed.
      Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Thinking about the medical since I might take it when im up there next (if they allow me since I don't live in VA since they tried to see if I could take it after the written) Anything that I should be aware of to not get the A certification ?

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
          Thinking about the medical since I might take it when im up there next (if they allow me since I don't live in VA since they tried to see if I could take it after the written) Anything that I should be aware of to not get the A certification ?

Study for the urine test.

Really, it is just a very complete physical. No real stress...

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmedic View Post
            I was told all ALS for the April 28th start date were called today. My friend was called and I was not. (Both Medics) I called A.D. again after not being called and asked about it. She informed me that the capt. had left for the day and all calls were made for ALS, so if I didn't get the call I didn't get a job.

I emailed recruitment to see what was up and hope to hear from them tomorrow. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. I asked for a file review today.

I called back today and asked if I should call Capt. S, I pleaded my case and asked what I needed to fix so I can have a job. I was told that Capt. S. took my file back to the deputy Chiefs desk for re-consideration. Kobersteen or anyone who can help me with what else to do, who to call or how to go about it next please let me know. I'm hoping it's good that it is back on a desk. I'm hungry for a career with Fairfax and just want to prove it and myself.
            My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• The squeaky wheel does get the oil, but sometimes when the wheel squeaks too loud it gets tossed out.

If you didn't get called you didn't get called. Also, the selection committee is comprised of four people. If the last time you called they stated they already made their selections, they're not going to change them.
              Eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by localva View Post
                The squeaky wheel does get the oil, but sometimes when the wheel squeaks too loud it gets tossed out.

If you didn't get called you didn't get called. Also, the selection committee is comprised of four people. If the last time you called they stated they already made their selections, they're not going to change them.
                Ditto. It sucks that your buddy's going in alone. You did complete the process, you are a medic, it would suprise me if you're not in the next class. The squeaky wheel theory is sound, but I agree that being too pushy can be detrimental. Whatever you told them in the last conversation, leave it at that. They know you're hungry. Consider this. Your friend can supply you with study material, and let you what to expect during the academy, and how to prepare beforehand. Also, I spoke with a friend that I used to work with, who is currently a firemedic at f/fax county, and he recommended the apartments he lives at, in Prince William county, at 66 and Sudley rd. Ideal location. I'll check it out the first week in April.
                "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Luckiest guy alive

I feel like the luckiest guy alive. I was given a chance to have a file review and thanks to a couple of awesome people in recruitment I was given a chance to explain things in my file and I have been chosen for the April 28th start date. My friend and I are coming down soon to look at housing and finish up paperwork. If anyone else who got the call wants to meet up let me know. And if you get a nice place edpmedic please let me know so I can look there as well!

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmedic View Post
                    I feel like the luckiest guy alive. I was given a chance to have a file review and thanks to a couple of awesome people in recruitment I was given a chance to explain things in my file and I have been chosen for the April 28th start date. My friend and I are coming down soon to look at housing and finish up paperwork. If anyone else who got the call wants to meet up let me know. And if you get a nice place edpmedic please let me know so I can look there as well!

Awesome that sounds great!!! Do well and make us here proud. Not to be nosy or anything but what was wrong with your file that you weren't considered in the when they looked at your file initially so maybe others here won't run into the same problem later.

rob

Comment

• Congratulations on getting hired! But being this is a message forum, i'll throw my $.02 in.Obviously, make your own decisions, but I wouldnt live in prince william if are working in fairfax, you arent going to pay that much more to live closer in (either in the county or in Arlington or Alexandria). I dated a girl who lived near sudley and rt 234 (downtown manassas) and it took me well over an hr consistently to get to her house during the evening when she got home from work.

There are a ton of great apartments within a five minute rush hour drive of the academy, which also puts you in the center of the county as far as stations go. When I lived there I could be at any station in the county in under half an hour in the morning.

I dont know how old you guys are, but if you plan on experiencing the DC Metro night life/resturaunts etc, prince william would be wildly inconvenient. One of the main reasons I moved inside the beltway was that I found that every time i went out to do something, I was headed to arlington/dc/tysons.

Plus it has been my experience down here that traffic inside the beltway is significantly better than it is outside.

Give me a PM if you have any ?'s about living in the area.

Comment

• Living in Fairfax....

Originally posted by formerbuckeye View Post
                        Congratulations on getting hired! But being this is a message forum, i'll throw my $.02 in.Obviously, make your own decisions, but I wouldnt live in prince william if are working in fairfax, you arent going to pay that much more to live closer in (either in the county or in Arlington or Alexandria). I dated a girl who lived near sudley and rt 234 (downtown manassas) and it took me well over an hr consistently to get to her house during the evening when she got home from work.

There are a ton of great apartments within a five minute rush hour drive of the academy, which also puts you in the center of the county as far as stations go. When I lived there I could be at any station in the county in under half an hour in the morning.

I dont know how old you guys are, but if you plan on experiencing the DC Metro night life/resturaunts etc, prince william would be wildly inconvenient. One of the main reasons I moved inside the beltway was that I found that every time i went out to do something, I was headed to arlington/dc/tysons.

Plus it has been my experience down here that traffic inside the beltway is significantly better than it is outside.

Give me a PM if you have any ?'s about living in the area.
                        Hello,

Thank you for the info. I just don't know where to start and I was anitially looking in PW county due to the lower prices. I am a 31 year old male and married with one child. Schools are very important to us as well as safety. Alexandria seems to be quite far from the academy. We will be in the area April 2nd, 3rd and 4th to search for a home/apartment rental. Our budget is $1200 and need at least a 2br apartment and would like to have a porch/yard...some outdoor living. We might have to contact a realtor also. The apartment complexes that have good ratings are way over our budget. Any input you could supply would be helpful.
                        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                          Hello,

Thank you for the info. I just don't know where to start and I was anitially looking in PW county due to the lower prices. I am a 31 year old male and married with one child. Schools are very important to us as well as safety. Alexandria seems to be quite far from the academy. We will be in the area April 2nd, 3rd and 4th to search for a home/apartment rental. Our budget is $1200 and need at least a 2br apartment and would like to have a porch/yard...some outdoor living. We might have to contact a realtor also. The apartment complexes that have good ratings are way over our budget. Any input you could supply would be helpful.
                          Just some help on this...like a few have said try craigslist and also try backpage.com and select Washington DC and search from there.

Rob

Comment

• Thanks for the response. I'll try backpage.com. We've been using craigslist for some time now. We've noticed that a fair number of houses for rent are from people who are trying to avoid foreclosure by renting, but intend to sell in the near future. When I search in a few days, I'll be able to assess the surrounding area, for safety. Also, traffic doesn't scare me, living in Queens, NY for most of my life.

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                              ...Alexandria seems to be quite far from the academy.
                              Just as a note to those in similar circumstances, Alexandria is definitely not too far from the academy and a good place to get used to the County. Of course, the Alexandria mailing address goes from about Springfield all the way to the Potomac, as far south as the Mount Vernon area and as far north as Baileys Crossroads. Alexandria can be as close as 20 minutes or as far as an hour from the academy.

It is all a balance of what you want to spend and what you can tolerate to drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
                                Awesome that sounds great!!! Do well and make us here proud. Not to be nosy or anything but what was wrong with your file that you weren't considered in the when they looked at your file initially so maybe others here won't run into the same problem later.

rob
                                eaglesrule,
                                without being too specific, make sure your credit has nothing in it from a long time ago (8 yrs. on mine) or anything that doesn't look good. I was honest about it in the poly so I think that helped me. Feel free to email me if you want.

to everyone else posting about places to live, thanks a lot. I am working on it right now and will be there in early April.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X