Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
    No oral boards to speak of, in my experience. I guess that the post test psych interview with the psychiatrist/psychologist(can't remember), and the polygraph can be considered interviews. I guess that since you will go through a full academy, suppresion/medical knowledge is not crucial at the pre-hire stage, as you will be trained thoroughly in recruit school.
    Thanks for the info brother.
    The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by wre722 View Post
      localva, what kind of questions do they ask you over the couple hours? Is it just on the information presented in the personal history packet, or do they expand on that? I don't have any skeletons hanging in my closet or anything, I am just nervous about being too...nervous to pass. It will be my first polygraph and its one I'd rather not screw up.
      You're brought to a "questioning room" with two chairs, desk, and the computer/detector. At first you just sit there and speak with the officer, then you're hooked up and asked - if I recall - ten questions. You can only say "yes" and "no". As a whole they ask A LOT of questions, some VERY off the wall such as:

Have you ever had sex with animals?
      Have you had sex with someone who was unconscious?
      Have you ever paid for sexual favors?
      Have you driven drunk before? (I said yes, again..they're looking for honesty.)

Questions like that. When I was hooked up I was asked questions like:

Have you ever stolen something worth over $100 in value?
      Did you lie to any of the questions you were previously asked?
      Have you done more than X, Y, Z of drugs as you previously answered?

From what I recall and could tell, the detective chats with you for about 30-40 minutes about all kinds of things. Your answers are written down and then after you're hooked up to the detector certain questions are selected. That's what I gathered happens. But, again...this is from my own experience. Afterwards my interviewer told me I did excellent. I did a few F'ed up things but I admitted to them. Honestly, if you come out "perfect" they're less likely to believe you. My advice is to be 100% honest and don't try to hide something. If you did something stupid, explain it and state that you know you screwed up.
      Eh?

Comment

• Well I passed the written today and my group was told we just missed the deadline for the orientation CPAT coming up so my group will be apart of the May group taking the orientation CPAT and the real deal in July. They also tried to get me in for the Medical since im coming all the way from NC and he said he tried for another guy coming from Florida I believe and they couldn't fit him in so there was no shot for me to take it but O well just another trip I will have to make.

Also just going down the road I think I fell in love with Fairfax. I don't know if the rest of Fairfax is like I believe 50 West? because it reminded me so much of home and NJ at the same time oddly enough but it made so happy. Looking around seeing how some of buildings were was just another thing that made me like it so much more

rob
        Last edited by eaglesrule1024; 03-20-2008, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• Anybody know how many medics they' re goining to choose for the ALS pilot program or have they already hired all the medics there going to hire?Do those medics then get placed in the August recruit academy when finished with the pilot program? If anybody has been chosen for the pilot program when did they call you and offer you a job?

Comment

• paramedic lookin fo answers!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished up all my testing in february and was wondering if anybody had any info on how many paramedics have been called for the ALS pilot program that starts in April. I know it is getting close and I just wanted to know also if they make all the medics go through this prior to the academy now or if they may wait until after the fall academy to put you through this. This wait is the hardest part and i have kept in touch with recruiting and i cant seem to get to much info from them. Help if you can thanks! its been a long road so far I started the testing in may of 07.

Comment

• Just a little bump on this to get it back to the top and to add another note that my group was is apart of a new program of e-mailing documents such as the PHS instead of printing paper to each applicant saves money which then in turn allows more firefighters and it makes sense.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
                Also just going down the road I think I fell in love with Fairfax. I don't know if the rest of Fairfax is like I believe 50 West? because it reminded me so much of home and NJ at the same time oddly enough but it made so happy. Looking around seeing how some of buildings were was just another thing that made me like it so much more
                Fairfax County is 405 square miles. What you saw is only a tiny portion and there are huge areas that look NOTHING (Annandale/Falls Church/RT1) like what the Academy looks like. You should drive around some because, if you get in, may not be working in what you may think Fairfax is...
                Eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by localva View Post
                  Fairfax County is 405 square miles. What you saw is only a tiny portion and there are huge areas that look NOTHING (Annandale/Falls Church/RT1) like what the Academy looks like. You should drive around some because, if you get in, may not be working in what you may think Fairfax is...
                  Yeah that's SO true and thanks for the advice. I think the majority of my happiness came when I saw the 7-11 I know it sounds a bit weird or childish but thats one place that I went a lot to for things because well they were open 24/7. I think just driving down that one street made me feel good so I definitely need to drive down more to further develop my mind of Fairfax county and if need be once in a while drive down that street lol I now Fairfax is a Great place regardless and I want to work there!!!

Do you have any specific places I should check out to further develop my mind ?

Rob

Comment

• While we're on the subject, would you be able to suggest some areas to avoid, in regards to safety and crime rate? I'm currently searching for housing in or around the county.
                    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• The Wiki page has some basic info on Fairfax, Rob:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfax_County,_Virginia

Also, see City-Data if you like charts:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fairfax-Virginia.html

Hope this helps,

GP

Comment

• Any body know when they are going to offer jobs to medics for the ALS pilot program that starts April 28th? IF anyone has been hired for that already when did you receive your job offer? If your hired for the pilot program does that mean you join the august academy then? Any answers would help, thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by redhat22 View Post
                          Also, see City-Data if you like charts:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fairfax-Virginia.html

Hope this helps,

GP
                          Actually, that is the City of Fairfax.

This is the same page for the county: http://www.city-data.com/county/Fairfax_County-VA.html

HUGE difference.
                          Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post

This is the same page for the county: http://www.city-data.com/county/Fairfax_County-VA.html

HUGE difference.
                            Wow great page from the both of you guys. Kobe coming through again though reading the charts does help me understand Fairfax county better but it doesn't really help me where I should be Checking out looking at. Where in Fairfax should I be looking at to live so to speak if im Single and in a good neighborhood ?

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
                              Wow great page from the both of you guys. Kobe coming through again though reading the charts does help me understand Fairfax county better but it doesn't really help me where I should be Checking out looking at. Where in Fairfax should I be looking at to live so to speak if im Single and in a good neighborhood ?

Rob
                              The bad areas are just small spots and you will be able to tell as you pull into the neighborhood. Generally the entire county is safe and full of good neighborhoods. Tell us what you find, and we can confirm the level of quality. Being single, you will probably want somewhere with easy access to DC for a social life, either somewhere along I-66 or I95/395. Do you plan on having roommates for a few years, or do you want to be on your own?
                              Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                              -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                              LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post

HUGE difference.
                                It amazes me that Tyson's is not listed in the "Shopping Centers"
                                Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                                -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                                LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X