Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, i hadnt seen this thread till now, but i emailed my app. to fairfax county just a bit ago, and already recieved confirmation on it. i have been a volunteer for ears ( since i was 18-now 25 ) i dont know anything about that area, but a ff job is what i want.

kobersteen, any ideas on chances for a 25 / m, no career exp, im not a medic, but can be ( was an eca ) ive got ALOT of certs from teex/esti from brayton field in college station. I did graduate a fire academy already, but wasnt able to get a job, so my cert expired.

sorry if i sound like im rambling, i feel im getting old, and i need a career, not the 911 dispatch i do now.

Comment

Originally posted by 275fbvfd
      kobersteen, any ideas on chances for a 25 / m, no career exp, im not a medic, but can be ( was an eca ) ive got ALOT of certs from teex/esti from brayton field in college station. I did graduate a fire academy already, but wasnt able to get a job, so my cert expired.
      Well, like I've said before, Fairfax County is really looking for ALS providers, but they still hire non-ALS providers. The business need is for ALS providers, but there are still non-ALS providers in every class.

Unfortunately, from my experience, the certs mean very little other than you will most likely have an easier time picking up the general fire stuff if you make it into rookie school.

Give my best to Laird and let him know that despite his history, workplace violence is STLL not acceptable.
      Last edited by Kobersteen; 02-21-2006, 09:40 PM.
      Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

Kobersteen- I printed out the application and am going to mail it tomorrow. Also, wanted to ask how many recruit classes does the county have a year? Hopefully if I pass all the recruitment steps, should take about a year or so?

Comment

Here is a link to a previous post by Kobersteen which has tentative recruit class dates:

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...342#post629342

Comment

[QUOTE=Kobersteen]Well, like I've said before, Fairfax County is really looking for ALS providers, but they still hire non-ALS providers. The business need is for ALS providers, but there are still non-ALS providers in every class.
            QUOTE]

Kobersteen - What's the main difference in ALS between EMT-I and P (besides definition - intermed. vs. paramedic) with regards to training and what FX county looks for (on their personal history statement required for submission, they ask for NREMT-Paramedic or Intermediate cert#'s). Will one get you hired quicker than the other? Or do they place equal weight on either?

Also, once you complete the course (I'd do it locally at NOVA), do you then have to take a national test (NREMT or VA EMT)?

THANKS for your input!!

Comment

Originally posted by tucker9
              What's the main difference in ALS between EMT-I and P (besides definition - intermed. vs. paramedic) with regards to training and what FX county looks for (on their personal history statement required for submission, they ask for NREMT-Paramedic or Intermediate cert#'s). Will one get you hired quicker than the other? Or do they place equal weight on either?
              As far as Fairfax County is concerned, there is no difference bewtween an I and a P. The OMD would like to transition all ALS personnel to P, but right now, there is no difference in the hiring standard.

Also, once you complete the course (I'd do it locally at NOVA), do you then have to take a national test (NREMT or VA EMT)?
              Yes. Do yourself a favor and if given the option, ALWAYS take the National Registry.

Comment

Kobersteen...
                Earliest I could complete the ALS coursework and take the test to PASS (that's a confident all cap there) would be May '07 at NOVA.

Assuming that I make it thru the recruit/application process (about a 9 month timeline), that puts me in September '06 to complete and hopefully be put on the "list".

With all that in mind, there's a recruit class starting on May 28th '07. Would the fact that I'm enrolled at NOVA and will take the final EMT-I test in May for the National exam push my chances to make that May 28th class in your opinion? (assuming they like me after all the testing this year!)

Comment

about a 9 month timeline), that puts me in September '06 to complete and hopefully be put on the "list".
                  Nine months is fairly quick without ALS cert in hand.

With all that in mind, there's a recruit class starting on May 28th '07. Would the fact that I'm enrolled at NOVA and will take the final EMT-I test in May for the National exam push my chances to make that May 28th class in your opinion? (assuming they like me after all the testing this year!)
                  First, let me say that I know you are quite anxious to start. With that said, just go through the process and the timing will work itself out. I would be very surprised if you began rookie class as a Fire Medic without NR card in hand.

The department has surprised me before, but...

Comment

[QUOTE=Kobersteen]Nine months is fairly quick without ALS cert in hand.

From what I've been told that's about average from application time to the time they "put you on the list". What have you experienced or heard?

Comment

From what I've been told that's about average from application time to the time they "put you on the list". What have you experienced or heard?
                      I guess that may be the case since they are doing so many rookie schools now. <shrug>

Comment

So just how badly does the county need ALS candidates? I know you've said that it's a "business need". What's the story behind this need...is it that medics are dropping their certs, retirement, addt'l staffing requirements, push from the board of superv., etc.?

Comment

So just how badly does the county need ALS candidates?
                          There is an ALS shortage all over the US, with spotty exceptions. The DC area just doesn't happen to be one of those areas with an influx of ALS personnel.

...is it that medics are dropping their certs, retirement, addt'l staffing requirements, push from the board of superv., etc.?
                          Years of neglect, for the most part. Now Fairfax County is starting pre-trained ALS personnel at a higher pay step, paying personnel who occupy minimum ALS spots between $2-$3 more an hour and additional points on promotional exams. Plus, in most houses, the medic unit runs the most... and the additional CME and study time to be proficient. Sometimes it's alot of work being a medic.

If you ask me, ALS personnel might just be the answer to NFPA 1710 safe staffing...

Comment

What is NFPA 1710 safe staffing? How does it affect the county?

Comment

What is NFPA 1710 safe staffing? How does it affect the county?
                              1) Do a Google search for NFPA 1710, there are half a dozen articles written about this standard and it's affect on career fire departments.

2) Virginia will not be affected by NFPA 1710, since the commonwealth would never adopt the standard. It does provide some ammunition to support the long-running effort to increase the minimum staffing on FxCo ladder trucks from 3 to 4.

3) Another factor with the FxCo medic need is that about 30% of the current ALS-qualified workforce can retire at any time.

Some of those old-school aging boomers will eventually have to retire because they entered the DROP plan a couple of years ago. The DROP plan is a way for the employee to create a nest-egg in the last years of municipal employment.

What is important to YOU is that many of them are reaching the limit of their allowable time in the DROP program - so they will be compelled to complete their agreement with the county and retire at the end of their DROP period. The first group should be approaching their deadline this summer.

4) Finally, the need for additional paramedic/firefighters is that the department is upgrading some BLS ambulances to ALS over the next couple of budget cycles. Medic 438 (West Centerville) is due this month.
                              Last edited by MikeWard; 02-25-2006, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Thank God you logged on Mike, I was getting dangerously close to the limit of my knowledge!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X