Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Im Starting my journey for Fairfax and iam just about to take the written on the 19th and I was taken a bit surprised by it since I just submitted my application a day under 2 weeks without hearing anything. I have read this whole thing from start to finish and it seems to have A LOT of great information one thing I think i cannot find is the time table from written exam to cpat and If I pass to move on to the next stage ? And with that said What is the time line IF ANY is with the academy start dates because I have thought about finding a Paramedic school starting it and then thought about well hey what happens if I get a call and im still in paramedic school what happens then ?

Rob

Comment

• When I completed the entrance exam back in Oct. '06, the cpat was scheduled for mid March '07. Where I work, there is a female who completed the process as an emt, then began medic school. My understanding is that women, minorities, and emt-P/I are preferred. She received several invitations for the academy, but deferred pending completion of medic class. Once selected, I don't know if they let anyone postpone, or if it is a case by case basis. When I received the letter advising successful completion of the selection process, it advised that the completion status was valid for two years. I don't know if this will apply if you attempt to postpone the job offer. In my case, I was unable to begin in Jan '08, but I will be starting Apr. 28. My advice would to be to call recruiting, run your scenario by them, and see what they say. I wish you the best of luck, but realize that anything could happen during the selection process. If you complete the medic program, you can always reapply to fairfax, or any other dept. for that matter. You will be preferred as an als provider, and this will increase your chances in the future, should this process prove unsuccessful. As far as the cpat, emphasize leg, torso, and grip training. If you cannot access a stepmill, try this quick fix: Grab a pair of dumbbells/kettlebells, do 16-20 steps of walking lunges, immediately do 10 reps of front squats, then do box jumps with a 24" box until failure. Repeat as necessary. Good luck!
      "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• My mistake, the cpat was in Jan '07, about three months after the written. Plenty of time to train. If you need training advice, just ask, I can talk about training ad nauseum.
        "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Just checking in

Hi All ,
          It's good to see action in here again!! My progress is that I am still hoping for a call soon. If you need help eaglesrule, feel free to email me and I will do what I can to help you. The written test is not bad at all and you should do fine. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

edpmedic. I was just wondering how you were notified you got the job? telephone call, letter, etc? Also if the academy joins up with the others in Aug., does that mean the ALS pre class is 3 months long? Anything you know is helpful and I appreciate it! Hopefully you have found a place to live and it's going smooth for you.

Thanks Again!
          My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmedic View Post
            Hi All ,
            It's good to see action in here again!! My progress is that I am still hoping for a call soon. If you need help eaglesrule, feel free to email me and I will do what I can to help you. The written test is not bad at all and you should do fine. Good luck and let me know if I can help.

edpmedic. I was just wondering how you were notified you got the job? telephone call, letter, etc? Also if the academy joins up with the others in Aug., does that mean the ALS pre class is 3 months long? Anything you know is helpful and I appreciate it! Hopefully you have found a place to live and it's going smooth for you.

Thanks Again!
            1. A recruit class of 40 started last week. The next class will be 40 recruits starting in the fall. There will only be two recruit classes this year.

2. If you are offered the job they call you.

3. The first month of the academy is EMS. You either get four weeks of EMT or four weeks of ALS/Medic. You have to be a Medic already to go through the ALS/Medic class. During the four weeks all the Medics go to a difference class. After the four weeks suppression starts and everyone is back in the same room.

With the next class starting in the fall you will hear something late summer if you got in.
            Eh?

Comment

• jdmedic, I was notified by phone. I am told that my packet will arrive by mail in the next 1-2 weeks. Other than my start date, I don't know much else. localva probably knows much more than I do, at this point. I have several offers to assist in my housing search. I will be looking either the last week of March, or the first week in April. I was disqualified for the magnet program due to salary. Let us know when you get the call, and if you need any help moving.

Comment

• Originally posted by localva View Post
                3. The first month of the academy is EMS. You either get four weeks of EMT or four weeks of ALS/Medic. You have to be a Medic already to go through the ALS/Medic class. During the four weeks all the Medics go to a difference class. After the four weeks suppression starts and everyone is back in the same room.
                Actually, the newest concept is to start the ALS rookies about 4 months (?) before their non-ALS classmates. The ALS rookies go through ACLS, BTLS, PALS recerts and then go through their internship. They fully join their non-ALS classmates just before suppression school starts. After they get out of rookie school, they are then the probationary firefighter and the engine medic.

I am very anxious to see how it works... I see some glaring holes in the logic.
                Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                  Actually, the newest concept is to start the ALS rookies about 4 months (?) before their non-ALS classmates. The ALS rookies go through ACLS, BTLS, PALS recerts and then go through their internship. They fully join their non-ALS classmates just before suppression school starts. After they get out of rookie school, they are then the probationary firefighter and the engine medic.

I am very anxious to see how it works... I see some glaring holes in the logic.
                  I stand corrected. I forgot about the new ALS process at the academy. I agree with Korbesteen, there are issues with the new process. A probie should not be allowed to fill the left bucket of an Engine right out of rookie school.
                  Eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
                    Well Im Starting my journey for Fairfax and iam just about to take the written on the 19th and I was taken a bit surprised by it since I just submitted my application a day under 2 weeks without hearing anything. I have read this whole thing from start to finish and it seems to have A LOT of great information one thing I think i cannot find is the time table from written exam to cpat and If I pass to move on to the next stage ? And with that said What is the time line IF ANY is with the academy start dates because I have thought about finding a Paramedic school starting it and then thought about well hey what happens if I get a call and im still in paramedic school what happens then ?

Rob
                    Hey Eaglesrule, I was on a similar path that you are about to do. I was about finished with my cardiac semester and would be taking the NREMTP's this summer but I got called down before. The problem is that you would have to give up on your courses at that time if you do accept appointment, but if the program is an associates degree, you can transfer those over to the nova community colleges here. You would still have to retake the core medic courses again I think, but if you go through the fairfax fire emt-I course there is a bridge course from I to P. But thats after recruit school. You can defer your appointment and wait after you get your paramedic license too. Hope that helps. Before you do get your medic though, get a good foundation with EMT first. (2years exp preferably)

Comment

• How Soon

I reposted this question on another page! Thanks
                      Last edited by jdmedic; 03-14-2008, 06:10 PM. Reason: reposting same question
                      My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• Goodluck to everyone taking the CPATS this saturday. I will be there around 11.
                        Matthew Pullen
                        Firefighter
                        Levittown Fire Company No.1
                        www.levittownfire.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mpullen32 View Post
                          Goodluck to everyone taking the CPATS this saturday. I will be there around 11.
                          Remember, enough heart will get you through it, even if your cardiac conditioning can't! Get through the stairclimb, then just DON't give up! It is not easy, but it is not hard to finish in time either.
                          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• Reposting

I just wondered if anyone has an idea of how soon before you needed to be there (April 28th) they would let you know you had the job so you had time to find a place to live? (As of today there are 45 days till April 28th.)

Didn't see a reply last and just curious and thanks again...

Comment

• when i got on they gave me about 5 weeks

Comment

• also, i would HIGHLY reccomend using craigslist.org to find an apt in the dc area, i was very successful in using it

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X