Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't heard anything yet

Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
    I've been accepted to the ALS pilot program for Fairfax County beginning Apr. 28.I'm told we are to be trained and recertified for ems, after which we will complete the supression portion.Other than that, I'm not exactly sure how the program works.Is anyone else beginning at this date?Also,I'm curious to hear how people are preparing physically for either the cpat or recruit school.Can anyone describe what to expect in regards to physical training for recruit school?
    First off Congrats to you for making it!!

I finished all testing a month ago and also have Medic (6yrs), HazMat Tech, Rescue Diver, FF-I and Tech Rescue.(Also ACLS-I, PALS-I, PHTLS-I and BLS-I). I too have been anxiously awaiting something from recruitment as well as a couple of medics I met and know from testing. I have only heard as much as you and that we (or for now you) will do a pilot program where you are on the bus and learn the protocols. I was also told (not fact, but what I was told) that there are 4 PA's on staff that will recert you in ALS, BLS, PALS, and PHTLS? even if you have the cert already.
    After the new academy recruits are through the medical portion of the academy I heard that ALS will join them and do the suppression part. As far as physical fitness, I am a FF from denver and I was running 3miles a day and doing 45- 1 hr on the weights a day. Cardio was huge for us but they did love to dish out the push ups! Again congrats and stay safe as you walk where the devil dances!
    My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• (Wow! I have never felt so wanted... <barf!> )

epdmedic: What you have described is what they have done with newly hired ALS providers for some years now.

The pilot program that they have in school now are, I believe, 5 'prehire ALS providers'. Those ALS providers review protocols, most likely recert ACLS, BTLS and PALS and then head to medic units for their internship. Each 'intern' is assigned a particular Medic unit and that is where they ride four days a week. The other day, they are in training at either Tysons or the Academy... I would assume Tysons. After four months (I believe), they join their 'full' rookie class for suppression training.

As long as you keep moderately fit between CPAT and rookie school, you'll be fine. Personally, I detest running, but I didn't have a great amount of difficulty with the running at all. Just dig deep, realize what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and look to the light at the end of the tunnel (cliche mode off). You'll survive... trust me. I look back at my days in the academy in awe at the shape I was in.

Marshall7: Put in the application now and let the County know when you get card in hard. Trust me, it is going to take you until past May to go through the entire process. The NR card will most likely speed things up, but why wait?

Things are indeed slowing down on the rookie-school side. They used to put through concurrent schools (more than one school at the FTA at a time), but now Fairfax has started a 'one class at a time' thing.

Did I leave anything out?
      Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• Thanks Kobersteen

Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
        (Wow! I have never felt so wanted... <barf!> )

epdmedic: What you have described is what they have done with newly hired ALS providers for some years now.

The pilot program that they have in school now are, I believe, 5 'prehire ALS providers'. Those ALS providers review protocols, most likely recert ACLS, BTLS and PALS and then head to medic units for their internship. Each 'intern' is assigned a particular Medic unit and that is where they ride four days a week. The other day, they are in training at either Tysons or the Academy... I would assume Tysons. After four months (I believe), they join their 'full' rookie class for suppression training.

As long as you keep moderately fit between CPAT and rookie school, you'll be fine. Personally, I detest running, but I didn't have a great amount of difficulty with the running at all. Just dig deep, realize what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and look to the light at the end of the tunnel (cliche mode off). You'll survive... trust me. I look back at my days in the academy in awe at the shape I was in.

Marshall7: Put in the application now and let the County know when you get card in hard. Trust me, it is going to take you until past May to go through the entire process. The NR card will most likely speed things up, but why wait?

Things are indeed slowing down on the rookie-school side. They used to put through concurrent schools (more than one school at the FTA at a time), but now Fairfax has started a 'one class at a time' thing.

As a paramedic I am curious as to how many medics they are hiring for the April start date? Thanks for your participation and help. It's a good thing the Psych test is over this waiting is driving me crazy, LOL.
        My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
          The NR card will most likely speed things up, but why wait?

yes kobe, it will speed things up dramatically :-) even if you are from ohio

Comment

• Marshall7, take Kobersteen's advice, and get the ball rolling. I began the process in Oct '06 with 1yr experience as a medic, and 3yrs bls. My certs initially were NYS medic, and NYC REMAC. I was told that I would need NREMT-P to be considered a firemedic candidate. I took the med/psych/poly in March.I failed the first poly, handed in my NR-P, passed the second poly in June or July (I forget exactly when).I received a letter confirming the successful completion of the process in Aug. '07. I received a job offer on the last week of Dec. for early January. I was unable to initially accept the position on short notice, but luckily I am now able to start in Apr. Anyway, to make a long story even longer, if I had passed the first poly, the process from entrance exam to job offer probably would have been approx. one year. I believe the sooner that you get NR-P, the quicker the process should go. In the meantime, try to knock out as many steps of the process as you can. I feel I am extremely lucky, as without NR-P I may not have had the opportunity for the second poly. Good luck!
            "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
              I just got accepted into the recruit school for march 3rd. Physical fitness wise I am currently training like I did for the CPAT; weighted vest, lots of compound leg exercises: squats, lunges, high jumps, stairs, and the usual upper body. My friend who is in the mclean station said to do as much cardio as possible to get prepped to run Mt. "Trashmore" and Hellweek portion of recruit school. To my understanding, you start off with the EMS portion(even if you are NREMT) to get familiar with their protocols/standing orders. Then end with fire suppression, so they build up on the daily exercises. Kobersteen can give a more definite answer.
              When I was preparing for the CPAT, in addition to standard equipment, my gym had a stepmill, a 35 lb vest, kettlebells, and an olympic weightlifting platform with bumper plates. I would wear the vest, hold 35lb plates, set the mill at 70/min, then hold for time. When I would fail, I would ditch the plates ,and continue. At the end, I did six mins. at 70, then four more with vest only. I also did some olympic weightlifting, some crossfit workouts (fran, linda, grace, the bear). "Roadwork" also works really well: go to a track, run 1/4 lap, do burpees, pushups, or squat cleans with dumbbells do another 1/4 lap, repeat as desired. For people who don't have access to gyms or fancy equipment, I advise buying some kettlebells. Lifeline USA has excellent prices. Do burpees, which are squat thrusts with a pushup at the bottom, and a explosive jump at the top. Begin with five sets, five reps, one minute rest between sets. Increase to ten sets of five, progress to ten of ten, then work on decreasing the rest periods to 30 seconds. Tabata thrusters work well. I use 30lb bells, do max reps for 20 seconds, rest for ten, then repeat for total eight cycles. Additionally, breathing ladders work great. Originally designed for MMA, this has tremendous carryover for the SCBA. Pick an exercise. I use hang squat cleans with 95lbs. Do one rep, take one breath, do two reps, take two breaths, do three reps, take three breaths, four/four, five/five, etc. This is a continuous set. You can breathe as you wish while you do the reps, but you cannot pause with the weight until you finish the last rep. This teaches you to control your breathing, and not to hyperventilate. If you breathe too quickly, you decrease your rest, making the following sets more difficult. I like wind sprints. I also bought a 28kg kettlebell, which I like to use for circuits mixed with sprints. I hope this benefits someone.
              "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmedic View Post
                As a paramedic I am curious as to how many medics they are hiring for the April start date? Thanks for your participation and help. It's a good thing the Psych test is over this waiting is driving me crazy, LOL.
                Well, I think much depends on the number of ALS applicants they have ready to go at the time. Also it is no secret that Fairfax County attempts to make their rookie classes as diverse as possible, so a minority or female ALS provider may well have to beat Fairfax County off with a stick!

My class had about 10, but I believe that the prehires in right now equal 4 or 5.
                Last edited by Kobersteen; 02-14-2008, 04:57 PM. Reason: wrong tense.

Comment

• jdmedic, when you get an official job offer, I recommend calling the recruiting office, and request to speak with someone who can forward an application for the magnet housing program. I was told that this program is for police, fire, nurses, and I think, teachers. Availability is limited, so apply as soon as you get the offer. If not, plan to travel. If your commute is about 10 miles each way, and your car gets about 20 mpg, your fuel costs driving five days/wk will be about $60. For every five miles further away that you live, your fuel costs will increase $30/month. So, if you choose to live fifty miles away, you'll pay approx. $300/month. Keep this in mind, as it may not necessarily be beneficial to live one hour away to save a few hundred on rent. If you plan to buy, that is a different story. My calculations are based on regular gas price of $3.00/gal.

Comment

• Thanks again Kobersteen

Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                    Well, I think much depends on the number of ALS applicants they have ready to go at the time. Also it is no secret that Fairfax County attempts to make their rookie classes as diverse as possible, so a minority or female ALS provider may well have to beat Fairfax County off with a stick!

My class has about 10, but I believe that the prehires in right now equal 4 or 5.
                    Thanks for the reply's Kobersteen and edpmedic

I am in contact with recruiting (A.D.- she is awesome btw) as often as I can without being a pain in the butt. Should I be calling the Capt. occasionally as well? My friend and I are both white male medics who have made it through the process and we are really hoping for offers. (Our completed files should be done this week- takes a while for all reports to come in) Being ALS we were just both hoping to be included in this hiring round and wondered if all the ALS slots would fill up before we were done.

As far as being diverse- everyone should respect and expect it from any department that hires equally competent people from those who apply. Male female, brown, black, white who cares we are all brothers.(Sorry-Former Civil Rights Chair)

edpmedic- As far as areas to live in I have looked an hour away in winchester and mananas but am not counting my chickens before they hatch. But it would be a great problem to have if I did get an offer. :-)

Thanks again to you guys for taking the time to be in these forums, for guys like myself and other hopefuls it's pretty great.

Comment

• jdmedic, congratulations for completing the process! My wife spoke to Kobersteen, he was extremely helpful in giving us advice in regards to housing. I'm from NYC, so I'm the wrong person to ask about housing. My advice would be to drive through the apts. and surrounding area, if possible, at various times, such as 1900, 2300, 0200, etc. Things may look quiet and picturesque during the day, but it may be a totally different scene at night.

Comment

The Homeland Security Funds are running out across the region. Let's turn back one or two of the Ambulance Buses and hire a few more guys.
                        Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                        -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                        LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

My class has about 10, but I believe that the prehires in right now equal 4 or 5.
                          About how many medics would you say are in the recruitment file at any given time?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmedic View Post
                            Should I be calling the Capt. occasionally as well?
                            Calling the recruitment Captain is not necessary right now, but call A.D. about every 3 weeks and just say you are just checking on progress. Given that you are ALS and your file is done, there isn't much to do.[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by epdmedic
                            My wife spoke to Kobersteen
                            Now I'm starting to make the connection! Congrats!

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace
                            Let's turn back one or two of the Ambulance Buses and hire a few more guys.
                            I think those were bought with grant money specifically for the purpose. Can't argue with your intent though!

Originally posted by Marshall7
                            About how many medics would you say are in the recruitment file at any given time?
                            That I don't know. I don't think there are many in the 'completed' section, though.

Comment

Calling the recruitment Captain is not necessary right now, but call A.D. about every 3 weeks and just say you are just checking on progress. Given that you are ALS and your file is done, there isn't much to do.

Now I'm starting to make the connection! Congrats!

I think those were bought with grant money specifically for the purpose. Can't argue with your intent though!

That I don't know. I don't think there are many in the 'completed' section, though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your help in this thread. I'm ready to get things moving and hope to be hired on within the next year and a half.

Comment

• Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
                                The Homeland Security Funds are running out across the region.
                                The Fairfax County Fire Chief was prohibited by the county executive to apply for federal SAFER funding to establish additional firefighter positions.

The slowdown in the hiring process is due to (a) slowdown in the rate of old farts retiring and (b) shortfall in the estimated county income from real estate taxes.

A note from the president of the Fairfax County Professional Fire and Rescue Officer's Association:

On January 3, 2008, the Presidents of all the employee groups met with Chief Mastin, Assistant Chief Louder, and Ms. Pat Devlin and Ms. Kim Panzer from Fiscal Services to discuss the budget. In a nutshell, it is a bleak budget picture for the remainder of FY08, all of FY09, and most likely FY10, as well. The Fire Chief continues to support a 4th riding position for Truck companies, a second shift Safety Officer, and staffed Technician positions for the Tanker at FS42 (deferred, but scheduled for construction in FY10). A $3 million shortfall existed for Fire & Rescue in Fall 2007, and it is projected to reach $8.5 million by the end of FY08. The County Executive is asking the Fire Chief for ways to trim the budget without reducing services. The Fire Chief has thus reached out to the employee groups for input. http://www.fxcofireofficers.com/
                                A past practice is to delay the start of new positions until the end of a budget year, in April or May. That provides a buffer for the county as it goes through the mid-year (January) and third quarter (March) budget reviews.
                                Last edited by MikeWard; 02-14-2008, 08:32 PM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X