Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by localva View Post
    The number one item that fails people on the CPAT are the stairs. If you don't hit the gym and use the stair climber you are just about 95% screwed. It is MUCH HARDER than people think. Hit the gym and use the stair climber for a good 5:00 minutes. If you can do it without stopping then you're good to go for the CPAT. I prepared for my CPAT by getting a 45lb vest and doing the stair climber for 3 minutes, then moving to two leg workout machines, then back to the stair climber for 3 minutes. The reason is you need to train your legs to move well enough after the stairs. You will get jello legs if you're not prepared.
    If you can get through the stairs, it just takes Heart, and I don't mean cardio.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• I just recently finished the hiring process with fairfax a little before christmas, and boy was it tough. The psychological test and the medical evaluation weren't hard, just very tedious and long. The more stressful test was the polygraph test, and like many others who have taken it or asked advice all I can tell you is that its an experience. Now for those who have finished their process, how long before you hear from recruitment?

Thanks all for the great help, and hope to see you in the academy.

Comment

• Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
        Now for those who have finished their process, how long before you hear from recruitment?
        Depends. Are you a Paramedic?
        Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

• not until october 2008

Comment

• March academy invites are out

Comment

• Just finished Testing Myself

I was also wondering about the time line for hiring with FFX Fire like a lot of you guys. I have been told that the class they are putting together now will likely be for an Aug. Academy.

I am a Paramedic for 6 years now and teach ACLS, PALS, BLS, and EMT all level refreshers. I also have other Certs. (Haz-Mat,Rescue Dive, FF-I etc.)

So here are a couple of questions I am looking for help with and would appreciate any info on. If I can help anyone else out with what I know about the testing process or anything please let me know in return.

Now that I have passed all of the testing how long does it take to hear anything from the Capt.? (Finished 3rd week of Jan.)

Has anyone ever signed a 2year lease on the affordable housing they have? and as a Paramedic am I going to qualify for it?

Is there a board panel interview at all and if so should I mention my Union experience (Grievance man, VP, Civil Rights Chair) or will that work against me? I am pro brotherhood.

Okay, thanks again, I appreciate it.

I just want to add one more thing. I have tested with several departments and have a few offers but am hoping for FF Fire.(3 Florida, 1Calif.) I can say that the recruitment section went above and beyond to help make the process work. It was run professionally and was better organized than any I have been through.Also A.D. in recruitment is awesome and I hope they realize what a person they have in her. She was very helpful. When praise is earned give it, and it's deserved.
              My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• Just Done with Testing

I just finished my testing process on Jan. 20th and have been told I cleared all of it and very well. I was told I had the highest score of the day on testing as well (upper 90's). So the same question everyone else has, how long does it take to find out? I was told it will be an Aug. Academy if I make the cut.

I am a Paramedic 6 yrs now, ACLS, PALS, and BLS instructor. FF-I, rescue diver, haz mat etc.

Also is there a board interview at all?
                Is the assisted housing nice, where is it, and what are the qualifcations?
                Should I tell them about my Union past (V.P., Grievance Man, Civil Rights Chair)?
                I also would like to know about the retirement as I have a few offers pending (Drop,457K,etc.)

I was afraid (not chicken) to stop by the stations and ask but am curious. If I can help anyone with info I have about the process I just finished, please let me know. Thanks
                My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny.

Comment

• Hey was anyone else scheduled for the March 15th CPAT?

I emailed recruitment asking for a new personal history packet and they sent it to me, but they also sent me new CPAT information with my scheduled date now being May 17th. Was everyone else rescheduled, or just me for some reason?

I plan on calling on Monday to ask.

Comment

• I will be taking the CPAT on March 15th, believe around 11 or so.
                    Last edited by mpullen32; 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM.
                    Matthew Pullen
                    Firefighter
                    Levittown Fire Company No.1
                    www.levittownfire.com

Comment

• im sched for Mar. 15 I think around 8 am or so

Comment

• Patiently waiting

I am a paramedic who just finished up all my testing for fairfax county fire department last week. I have passed all the steps thank god!!! How long can I expect to wait until I hear something from recruiting. I know that they are planning on starting another class in August. How soon ahead of time do they call to offer the invites?

Comment

• RE: Anyone in the April 28th ALS Pilot Program for Fairfax?

I've been accepted to the ALS pilot program for Fairfax County beginning Apr. 28.I'm told we are to be trained and recertified for ems, after which we will complete the supression portion.Other than that, I'm not exactly sure how the program works.Is anyone else beginning at this date?Also,I'm curious to hear how people are preparing physically for either the cpat or recruit school.Can anyone describe what to expect in regards to physical training for recruit school?
                          "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those willing to work and give to those who are not." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                            I've been accepted to the ALS pilot program for Fairfax County beginning Apr. 28.I'm told we are to be trained and recertified for ems, after which we will complete the supression portion.Other than that, I'm not exactly sure how the program works.Is anyone else beginning at this date?Also,I'm curious to hear how people are preparing physically for either the cpat or recruit school.Can anyone describe what to expect in regards to physical training for recruit school?
                            I just got accepted into the recruit school for march 3rd. Physical fitness wise I am currently training like I did for the CPAT; weighted vest, lots of compound leg exercises: squats, lunges, high jumps, stairs, and the usual upper body. My friend who is in the mclean station said to do as much cardio as possible to get prepped to run Mt. "Trashmore" and Hellweek portion of recruit school. To my understanding, you start off with the EMS portion(even if you are NREMT) to get familiar with their protocols/standing orders. Then end with fire suppression, so they build up on the daily exercises. Kobersteen can give a more definite answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by edpmedic View Post
                              Hey Edpmedic, I was just curious as to what the pilot program was.

Also I'm looking for some advice. I'll have my medic certification in May. I've been told by a few of the medics that come into the ER I work at to just apply when I'm nationally registered, and the ALS certification would help speed things up. How true is this if anyone knows?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                                Depends. Are you a Paramedic?
                                Kobersteen,

Some of the medics down on Richmond Highway have said that things are going to slow down dramatically in the very near future as far as hiring. Will there still be a demand for paramedics over the next year? The reason I ask is because I dont want to accept a position somewhere else and pass up the chance to work for FC.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X