Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

fairfax county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm right outside philly

Comment

• Originally posted by rob1984 View Post
      I just passed my CPAT on saturday, they said it could be 3 to 4 months before I hear anything about my poly, psych, medical, etc...
      How long after the written exam was the CPAT? I'm about 3 weeks away from my scheduled written exam, and I'm just wondering how long I have until the CPAT.

Comment

• Originally posted by wre722 View Post
        How long after the written exam was the CPAT? I'm about 3 weeks away from my scheduled written exam, and I'm just wondering how long I have until the CPAT.
        Because Fairfax Fire and Rescue will not start their next recruit class until mid to late spring the CPAT test may not be anytime soon. In the few prior years there has been several classes per year. Next year there will be only two so there is no "rush" in the department's eye to finalize recruits. Therefore, don't think about schedules too much. Focus on keeping in shape (running, stairs, upper body strength) and wait for your interviews.
        Eh?

Comment

• I'm also taking the test on Dec 15th as long as I can get off from work that day... I'll be traveling from Western New York. anybody know what traffic is like in that area on a Friday evening?? and Saturday morning??

Comment

• Originally posted by ryanb1326 View Post
            I'm also taking the test on Dec 15th as long as I can get off from work that day... I'll be traveling from Western New York. anybody know what traffic is like in that area on a Friday evening?? and Saturday morning??
            Heavy. My advise would be to head down Friday as soon as you can and get a good nights sleep in a hotel before your test.

Check trafficland.com for traffic cams in the area.

Good luck!
            Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Comment

Standard has been 90 days after the written. Recruiting does not want quality folks to lose interest.
              Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
              -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
              LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

• Thanks for the info guys.

ryanb - FYI, I'm coming from Philadelphia and even I am going down the night before and getting a good nights sleep in a hotel. I do not want to risk missing an oppurtunity at the written due to stupid D.C. traffic.

Comment

It was about 3 months, it felt like forever though. Definatly go to at least one of the practice sessions, though. I didn't go to a single one because I work every saturday, and I don't get off work untill 5 on weekdays. But, I didnt really know what to expect. The stair master is a BITCH! I dont care how easy you might think it is lol. After 3 minutes, you will not want to ever see a set of stairs again! lol. Good luck though, you feel great after passing. I took a 5 hour nap afterwards.

Comment

• Originally posted by rob1984 View Post
                    It was about 3 months, it felt like forever though. Definatly go to at least one of the practice sessions, though. I didn't go to a single one because I work every saturday, and I don't get off work untill 5 on weekdays. But, I didnt really know what to expect. The stair master is a BITCH! I dont care how easy you might think it is lol. After 3 minutes, you will not want to ever see a set of stairs again! lol. Good luck though, you feel great after passing. I took a 5 hour nap afterwards.
                    yea i practiced with the weightvest that i bought for 2 months before the test. Didn't take any of the practice sessions because I know two guys on the dept and they said don't worry about it. On the day of I was there early, around 8am, taking it. I saw guys who were all "buff and tuff" and thought that they wouldn't have any problems with it. I later learned by talking with them that they all failed the stairs, which is the first obstacle btw, and they were there for their 2nd/3rd tries. I passed the test initally, but if I would have taken the practice sessions it would have gone a lot smoother. So if you're training for the CPAT, the upper body stuff is easy, any avg joe can do that. The stairs are the ones that will make or break you, so if you haven't taken the CPAT, work out on stairs, run, and start dragging weights.

goodluck to you all.

Comment

• thanks for the traffic info.... I'll definately head down Friday and spend the night.... as long as i can get out of work on Saturday.

Comment

• Out of staters??

For those following this thread that are w/Fairfax County--how many out-of-staters do you tend to hire, if any?? Realistically, testing from out of state can be expensive and time-consuming, so those that are not locals, do they really stand a chance??

Comment

• Originally posted by jl View Post
                          so those that are not locals, do they really stand a chance??
                          Sure... even more chance if you are a Paramedic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kobersteen View Post
                            Sure... even more chance if you are a Paramedic.
                            Kobersteen I like to thank you like most of the guys and girls that are trying to get on to your department. I just have this question. Here's my predicament. I am an asian vollie for about 4 years with ff1/2 and per diem emt-b and other pro-board certs. I was in my junior year of college before I decided to put that on hiatus since I keep hearing that fairfax wants medics, so I opted to get enrolled into the paramedic program here in Jersey. I started out in August, and I won't end the program until nov/dec 2008. I've already passed the written/physical way back in August, but I told recruitment I was unavailable to continue with the testing process until Dec because of medic school. So in 3 weeks they have me scheduled with all poly, psyche, and medical.

Will recruitment put me on a waitlist for a possible recruit candidate pending I get my medic cert, or will they actually look at me as possible candidate once I finish the hiring process?

Thanks again.

Comment

• Originally posted by jklm128 View Post
                              Kobersteen I like to thank you like most of the guys and girls that are trying to get on to your department.
                              Not a problem. I know how frustrating applications processes can be.

Will recruitment put me on a waitlist for a possible recruit candidate pending I get my medic cert, or will they actually look at me as possible candidate once I finish the hiring process?
                              It is very possible. I will drop you a PM with more info.

Good luck!

Comment

• Kobersteen-

After speaking to a few fire fighters here in fairfax county, I have gotten the impression that there is a good chance that I won't get hired the first time around. I dont have any certifications, and I have no experience, do I really stand a chance to get hired since this is my first time applying? I just passed my CPAT two weeks ago.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X