Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fairfax county

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by DC4LYFE View Post
    I could be completely off but maybe it has to do with the type of schedule or # of hours worked. Possibly that salary is for a standard 40 hr work week but you should inflate it to the actual number of hours a Fairfax FF work average in a week, could possibly be 56 hrs as opposed to 40 hrs.

    Anyone have a better informed answer?
    Now that you mention it, it actually makes sense. I even added up the hours and your theory stands.

    Thanks.

    Comment


    • Anyone have any idea the next two start dates for academy?

      Comment


      • doesn't make sense. the salary for FF/EMT is 54,446, which is roughly $26/hr on an 40hr week, $18 on a 56hr week. FF/Medic is 60,026, which is $28/hr on a 40, $20 on a 56hr. This posting would be $20/hr on a 40hr week, $14/hr on the 56hr week, and it's the same for FF/Medic. Unless this is some sort of error then all the upcoming hires are getting shafted HARD.

        Originally posted by e_a View Post

        Now that you mention it, it actually makes sense. I even added up the hours and your theory stands.

        Thanks.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mrcoolice View Post
          doesn't make sense. the salary for FF/EMT is 54,446, which is roughly $26/hr on an 40hr week, $18 on a 56hr week. FF/Medic is 60,026, which is $28/hr on a 40, $20 on a 56hr. This posting would be $20/hr on a 40hr week, $14/hr on the 56hr week, and it's the same for FF/Medic. Unless this is some sort of error then all the upcoming hires are getting shafted HARD.


          Hmmm... Well the posting says $20/hour which, on a 40hr week, translates to 42k. However it says that the paygrade is F18. It took some digging a bit but on the 2017 salary scale for F18 it's still 56k. So I'm assuming that 56k is based on the actual amount of hours worked by firefighters. It says nothing of $14/hr on a 56hr week. One thing is for sure though, if that's the case, then you're right, new hires are definitely getting shafted.

          Can someone from the inside elaborate on this? I emailed recruitment and they said they were looking into it.

          Comment


          • My status was updated to "File Completion" does that mean Im in the hiring pool?

            Comment


            • Yes now you just wait for a phone call with a job offer.

              Comment


              • Lol YESSSSS!!! How long is the wait?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Black_Panther67 View Post
                  Lol YESSSSS!!! How long is the wait?
                  almost two years

                  Comment


                  • 2 yrs to get the call????

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Black_Panther67 View Post
                      2 yrs to get the call????
                      pretty much from when your process began. so lets say your process took 6 months, chances are you've got another 1.5 years of a wait time.

                      Comment


                      • My process began 04/22/2016 written test and I finished 07/22/2017...so between april 2018 to july 2019 I should receive a call?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by mrcoolice View Post

                          pretty much from when your process began. so lets say your process took 6 months, chances are you've got another 1.5 years of a wait time.
                          Not sure this is accurate. After you are placed in the eligibility pool, it can take up to 2 years for them to call you. However, it's not guaranteed that they will. Many people have had to re-apply after 2 years was up, and many people got hired shortly after being placed on the list. There is no standard wait time. They choose however they choose.

                          Comment


                          • Look at it this way.

                            The recruiter told my group at the written exam they conduct 30 polygraphs a month, the maximum that the police will do for them.

                            That is 360 applicants a year. If you assume everyone passes their psych and medical.

                            That is 360 applicants that potentially make it to the eligibility list for possibly 3 classes of 45 candidates, 135 total positions.

                            Long story short. Half the people that make it to the list are NOT getting selected for a position regardless if they passed everything.

                            Comment


                            • Thats the thing...how do I train for the academy..work my current job 40 hrd a week?? All the while I could be just spinning my wheels? I wish there was a list they would release with your rank. Im just worn out. I fell asleep at my desk today.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by DC4LYFE View Post
                                Look at it this way.

                                The recruiter told my group at the written exam they conduct 30 polygraphs a month, the maximum that the police will do for them.

                                That is 360 applicants a year. If you assume everyone passes their psych and medical.

                                That is 360 applicants that potentially make it to the eligibility list for possibly 3 classes of 45 candidates, 135 total positions.

                                Long story short. Half the people that make it to the list are NOT getting selected for a position regardless if they passed everything.
                                They definitely have a specialized method of selecting candidates. I finished the process last May, have a college degree, I'm a Firefighter II and EMT, and years of management experience and I'm still waiting. One would think my qualifications would give me some sort of leg-up on the competition that doesn't have those credentials, but there's still a possibility that I may not get selected and they will. It's not for me to say how they should select, but all I can do is just wait and stay in shape.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X