Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fieldseng2
    replied
    I actually grew up in the st louis area....we have life-long friends and family there...(best man in my wedding is a paramedic on the fire dept)...

Even though STL FD is experiencing some 'problems' right now....its still a million times better than where I'm on the job now (pay, working conditions, benefits)

Some guys Ive talked to speak of the 'grass is not always greener theory'...but when you have a mass exodus of guys like me with 10 years on the job here..something is surely wrong...one of our guys just finished his 1st year on Las Vegas..he is loving it...as for me, STL FD has always been my dream job...Im sure it WILL happen eventualy..just hope sooner than later

This is the 1st time I've tested for a really large dept...I know I did really well on the written and kicked butt on the agility....my 1st impression was I did pretty well on the oral, but we'll have to wait for the final numbers to come in for that one...I've tested for almost a dozen depts. in my life time (much smaller than STL) and I usually ranked in the top 10-20.....

Ill keep ya posted......thanks again

Bob Fields

Leave a comment:

• kghemtp
    replied
    Ah, more & more of the story comes out! St Louis is a big department, and not without its difficulties. I had considered pursuing the city once as a FF/Paramedic, but pay is kinda tough from what I've seen in the midwest (even for a for the dual role). I met a number of guys during a few visits, and I was welcomed. The city has great resources. Keep us posted on how things go, ok? Take care

Leave a comment:

• kghemtp
    replied
    Ah, more & more of the story comes out! St Louis is a big department, and not without its difficulties. I had considered pursuing the city once as a FF/Paramedic, but pay is kinda tough from what I've seen in the midwest (even for a for the dual role). I met a number of guys during a few visits, and I was welcomed. The city has great resources. Keep us posted on how things go, ok? Take care

Leave a comment:

• fieldseng2
    replied
    Thanks for the advice and support guys..

Ill know in 4-6 weeks where I ranked.....I was told they wanted to put 40 guys on (st louis) by Christmas.....that would be a great present!

Bob Fields

Leave a comment:

• kghemtp
    replied
    So I'm getting the impression Capt Bob is a legend here now! Glad to see people putting more thought into the hiring process and beginning to do research. As the Cap says, we MIGHT wing it and do ok. Who wants to leave it to chance though?

Best of luck in the process, Bob!

Leave a comment:

• CaptBob
    replied
    Typical

Most candidates psych themselves out during and after the interview. Your reaction is common. Seldom do you get a chance to include everything and be as clear as you would have wanted. First impressions can be good. Doubt your doubts.

You can't know what the panel is thinking anyway. Once you start trying, you will tank your oral board score. Just give your best performance no matter what you think the oral board is doing. Trying to interpret the expressions, attitudes of the panel, what they are writing, etc., is mental masturbation. I had several candidates contact me after their orals where I was on their panel. They would tell me what they thought I was thinking or doing. They were never right.

Your biggest hurdle being a firefighter already was to leave your time and your rank in your locker applying for a new snott nose rookie or lateral position.

You can find more on testing secrets in the Career Article section under the Job catagory of this firehouse.com web site

And yes as Bob said, "Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 11-01-2003, 08:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fieldseng2
    started a topic after the oral...2nd guessing

after the oral...2nd guessing

I just took my oral interview for a large FD in the midwest. I know that I am guaranteed a spot on the list because only the written and ability test were pass/fail and the oral is scored (good, fair, poor with a certain # of points given for 1 or the other)

The interview panel consisted of 3 people; an older gentleman who I remember seeing at the written, a female (who asked all the primary questions and gave the directions), and a female police sargent.
    There were 2 questions which involved a hypothetical situation and I had to describe how I would react. The other 10 were ques. where I had to describe a past work, school, or life experience, and how I reacted. Sounds simple enough. The 2 females were very friendly, at times very informal. The gentleman rarely spoke (its all in the game I guess). When I was finally done being raked over the coals, they gave my final instructions, stood up to shake my hand, and wished me well.(I did get a 'warm and fuzzy' vibe from each one as we said our good byes!)

As I walked out of the building, I thought to myself......I KICKED BUTT!!! Unforfunately, I had over a 6 hour drive home to start 2nd guessing myself...Overall I think I did pretty well, but there were 1 or 2 times where I could have been more clear or gave a better answer. Does anyone believe in 1st impressions on how well you did or do you think its bull. After the interview for the FD I'm on now, I felt like I bombed it, I couldnt stop tripping over my tounge and my ranking on the list reflected that. Here "m confident I did pretty well.

This is my dream job that I'm testing for now. In 4-6 weeks I'll know where I ranked.

Sorry, Im kinda windy. Just wanted see if anyone had a thought or a few pointers. But, just like Capt. Bob says..."Nothing counts till you get the badge....NOTHIG!!"

Bob Fields

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X