• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLNfirefighter
    replied
    Originally posted by IAfire View Post
    I just wanted to throw out there a great company I found
    www.Firefighter-resumes.com
    really competent people! Well worth the price.
    Firefighter-resumes.com (IAfire) is crap crap, You were the first company I called and you did not return my phone call until Tuesday the following week. Then you quoted me $30 over the price your web lists.

I would stay away from this company, they scream scam. There are other writing companies out there, do your homework prior to selecting one. I found a resume writer that is a BC on a fire department and teaches professional development at a University. He knew what questions to ask me and everything turned out great.

e-mail me and I will send you my final draft.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    Wow! You SPAM artists saved the day again!

Leave a comment:

• CaptBob
    replied
    Originally posted by ashncole View Post
    I was wondering if the guys who said they would post the resumes from the writing companies have posted them?
    Don't hold your breath.

That was Friday and I havent heard.
    You wrote this 3 days after your interview which is unrealistic expectations. Have you hear back yet?[/QUOTE]

I just had an Oral board and brang a resume/ book as some would call it it had a cover letter, resume, picture of my family at my fire academy graduation, and copies of my certs. They didnt even look. I either scared them off with a resume that size or they just didnt have time. I didnt think they would look but I would csme prepared anyway. Maybe they noticed maybe not.
    Were they accepting or did they ask you to bring in a resume? You've learned the hard way that this is not your best first impression.

I'm a one-page resume guy for entry level without a cover letter, not in a binder or folder. Do not give us a book. We will not read it. The board does not have enough time. And do not come any interview, thinking you are going to hand out your resume and we're going to read it. That is not going to happen. This upsets the normal flow of the interview. As you saw, we're going to read your application and resume before you come in the room. If you can submit a resume, get it to personnel to be placed in your file before the interview. Don't fax It. Make the appropriate copies and hand deliver or FedEx them.

A candidate recently showed our son Rob and me his resume. It was over 35 pages in plastic covers in a heavy binder. It had a resume profile on the inside cover, cover leter, several pages of a resume, certs, pictures of his academy and the wedding and honeymoon photos. We asked him why???? He said I wanted to let the panel really know about me. Rob and I looked at each other and broke out laughing with who cares?

Many candidates think they need to include resume profiles of their strengths or career profiles on their resumes. Here are a couple of examples from resumes sent to me for review:

Strengths: Performs effectively within group atmosphere. Continuously strives for improvement by education and work experience.

OR:

Career Profile: An experienced Firefighter whose professional responsibilities expanded his knowledge in the areas of fire suppression, emergency medical service, rescue, hazardous material, public relations, public education, fire prevention, and decision making. Qualified by:
    1. A proven record of success with progressively increasing responsibilities based upon experience, knowledge, and superior work performance.
    2. Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work effectively with individuals in all levels.
    3. Excellent communication and time-management skills and abilities.
    4. The ability to remain calm and utilize deductive reasoning in critical and demanding situations.
    5. Committed t promoting a positive public image of the fire service.
    yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah

The first thing I do when I see these types of statements is line them out and write, "Who Cares?" Understand the board doesn't! Candidates who put these on their resumes tend to be anal. This is the type of resume material that belongs on a regular job interview resume. Not a firefighter resume. We don't have time to look at this mindless garbage and it takes away from the stuff you really want us to read.

I'm a one page resume guy. Don't give me a book.

We transformed this book into a solid one page resume that would be read.

Leave a comment:

• ashncole
    replied
    wheres the copies

I was wondering if the guys who said they would post the resumes from the writing companies have posted them?

I just had an Oral board and brang a resume/ book as some would call it it had a cover letter, resume, picture of my family at my fire academy graduation, and copies of my certs. They didnt even look. I either scared them off with a resume that size or they just didnt have time. I didnt think they would look but I would csme prepared anyway. Maybe they noticed maybe not. My application was right in front of them. That was Friday and I havent heard. The dept. will be hiring 3 in a month or so maybe more later. SO if I make it to a chiefs interview I am wondering if I should change up my resume or keep it he way it is. Really its mostly filled with certs that are already listed on the resume

Leave a comment:

• IAfire
    replied
    IAfire

I just wanted to throw out there a great company I found
    www.Firefighter-resumes.com
    really competent people! Well worth the price.

Leave a comment:

• SIUdave
    replied
    Resume Looks Great!

Got my resume back and it is a heck of a lot nicer then I could have ever done. My writer personalized everything into a clear, well written format and it looks fantastic.

I also give FDRESUME two thumbs up and will recommend them to anyone that asks.

D.

p.s. thanks Aaron for all your hard work

Leave a comment:

• SIUdave
    replied
    Hey, looks like I found the answer!!!

Just purchased the resume package from the web site www.fdresume.com and have a phone appointment latter this afternoon to go over all the information.

Can’t wait hopefully finally get my “perfect” resume in order and ready to submit.

D.

Leave a comment:

• SIUdave
    replied
    fdresume.com

Hello,

I need major help with my crappy resume (or so my wife says). I need everything done by the end of December and after reading this form and a few others, I am going to give fdresume.com a try.

I'g going to see how they do on my resume before I have them write my cover letter.

D.

Leave a comment:

• CaptBob
    replied
    Originally posted by ffemtp009 View Post
    Ok, ok, ok…

I will post the final resume for all to scrutinize as well as my overall opinion of the service.
    Well???????

Leave a comment:

• ffemtp009
    replied
    Resume update!!!

Hello All,
    I am pleased to say I received my Resume and Cover Letter via e-mail on Monday in MS word so I can update it as needed.

Everything looks good and I will be submitting it to the fire department in the morning with my application. I was a little hesitant about purchasing through a web page, but the guy that helped me was great and he was able to really “pull” information out of me that I would have never even thought of putting on the resume.

I don’t know how the other companies are, but I have to give a positive plug to www.fdresume.com and would without doubt recommend them.

Thanks for all the help to those that e-mailed me.

Leave a comment:

• ffemtp009
    replied
    Went with a service

Ok, ok, ok…

I went with a resume service and so far so good. We did the phone interview tonight and should have a proof within a day.

I will post the final resume for all to scrutinize as well as my overall opinion of the service.

Thanks to all of you that e-mailed me privately, I don’t need any more resume examples!!!

Leave a comment:

• ffemtp009
    replied
    Good Info!

Thanks for the advice.

The only reason I am putting together a resume is because the job posting says to submit one with application. I will shoot an e-mail to www.fdresume.com, www.eatstrss.com, and www.professionalresumes.com asking the process they use to write the resume. If they send the resume off to a processing center or if they actually write it themselves.

I will ask for a few references of people that have used there services and see what they say. I’ll let you know what they say.

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeWendtCFI
    replied
    I don't think that you are a damn fool for paying for a resume, just misinformed.

The resume does not get you the job. The resume gets you the interview. Do not lose sight of that. If you give them everything in the resume, why in the world do they need to interview you?

You would be astounded at the number of people who apply for these jobs-especially if it is an online process. There are hundreds of resumes received. I know of a company that was hiring one fire investigator in a mtro area. There were over 400 resumes submitted online. At least 300 were from people not remotely qualified. Another 90 were eliminated early. There were 10 resumes that were forwarded on by HR with recommendations for aninterview. 5 of those people were actually interviewed.

The only way that a person can evaluate that number of resumes is simply-as quickly as possible. The reviewer needs to know that you have the qualifications for the job and they need to know in about ten seconds. Perhaps you are impressd by the pages of training you have attended and the certifications you have recieved, but the reviewer frankly doesn't care. If he/she can't figure out that you meet the qualifications almost immediately, you are done.

Do not forget two things. The online resume may be screened by a computer program looking for keywords. The written resume may be screened by a secretary with no fire service background who is also looking for keywords.

The cover letter is just as important. The cover letter better make them look at your resume. There is another thread here with great info on cover letters. (Don't pay for a cover letter either).

Never, never, never, never send a resume w/o a cover letter.

NO WEBSITE, NO TAPES, NO BOOKS, NO DVD'S, NO SEMINARS. JUST SOLID HONEST INFO.

Leave a comment:

• ffemtp009
    replied
    fdresume.com question???

I'm looking to get my resume written and am wondering how www.fdresume.com works and some maybe some more info on them. I checked out the site and they look good, can someone give me the 411 on them and if they did a good job? How long did they take, did they provide good communication, and did they know what they were doing???

Also, how much did you pay for the resume and did you get a cover letter written?
    Maybe someone can e-mail me a draft of the work they did?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• FDNY2TRUCK
    replied
    the resume service helped me out. Did you use it?

Searay,

I can only speak for myself but I used the resume writing service at fdresume.com and they really did a good job. I just got it back yesterday (took 3 days) and it was written really well and the guy I talked to on the phone seemed like he knew what he was doing.

I did not buy the cover letter so I have no idea about that, but I would recommend the resume service. And no, I don’t consider myself a damn fool for paying a few dollars for my resume. I looked at a ton of pre written resumes and they were all formatted for business like jobs. I did not know what to put first, second, last, ect.

I will try to post the finished resume if I can figure out how to black out my name and personal information. If you want, I can e-mail you a copy of what they sent me and you can look it over and if it helps you, great!

I'm going to try to scan it and post it on my myspace page.

(I posted this in another thread also).

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X