This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wheres the copies

I was wondering if the guys who said they would post the resumes from the writing companies have posted them?

I just had an Oral board and brang a resume/ book as some would call it it had a cover letter, resume, picture of my family at my fire academy graduation, and copies of my certs. They didnt even look. I either scared them off with a resume that size or they just didnt have time. I didnt think they would look but I would csme prepared anyway. Maybe they noticed maybe not. My application was right in front of them. That was Friday and I havent heard. The dept. will be hiring 3 in a month or so maybe more later. SO if I make it to a chiefs interview I am wondering if I should change up my resume or keep it he way it is. Really its mostly filled with certs that are already listed on the resume

Comment

Originally posted by ashncole View Post
      I was wondering if the guys who said they would post the resumes from the writing companies have posted them?
      Don't hold your breath.

That was Friday and I havent heard.
      You wrote this 3 days after your interview which is unrealistic expectations. Have you hear back yet?[/QUOTE]

I just had an Oral board and brang a resume/ book as some would call it it had a cover letter, resume, picture of my family at my fire academy graduation, and copies of my certs. They didnt even look. I either scared them off with a resume that size or they just didnt have time. I didnt think they would look but I would csme prepared anyway. Maybe they noticed maybe not.
      Were they accepting or did they ask you to bring in a resume? You've learned the hard way that this is not your best first impression.

I'm a one-page resume guy for entry level without a cover letter, not in a binder or folder. Do not give us a book. We will not read it. The board does not have enough time. And do not come any interview, thinking you are going to hand out your resume and we're going to read it. That is not going to happen. This upsets the normal flow of the interview. As you saw, we're going to read your application and resume before you come in the room. If you can submit a resume, get it to personnel to be placed in your file before the interview. Don't fax It. Make the appropriate copies and hand deliver or FedEx them.

A candidate recently showed our son Rob and me his resume. It was over 35 pages in plastic covers in a heavy binder. It had a resume profile on the inside cover, cover leter, several pages of a resume, certs, pictures of his academy and the wedding and honeymoon photos. We asked him why???? He said I wanted to let the panel really know about me. Rob and I looked at each other and broke out laughing with who cares?

Many candidates think they need to include resume profiles of their strengths or career profiles on their resumes. Here are a couple of examples from resumes sent to me for review:

Strengths: Performs effectively within group atmosphere. Continuously strives for improvement by education and work experience.

OR:

Career Profile: An experienced Firefighter whose professional responsibilities expanded his knowledge in the areas of fire suppression, emergency medical service, rescue, hazardous material, public relations, public education, fire prevention, and decision making. Qualified by:
      1. A proven record of success with progressively increasing responsibilities based upon experience, knowledge, and superior work performance.
      2. Strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work effectively with individuals in all levels.
      3. Excellent communication and time-management skills and abilities.
      4. The ability to remain calm and utilize deductive reasoning in critical and demanding situations.
      5. Committed t promoting a positive public image of the fire service.
      yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah

The first thing I do when I see these types of statements is line them out and write, "Who Cares?" Understand the board doesn't! Candidates who put these on their resumes tend to be anal. This is the type of resume material that belongs on a regular job interview resume. Not a firefighter resume. We don't have time to look at this mindless garbage and it takes away from the stuff you really want us to read.

I'm a one page resume guy. Don't give me a book.

We transformed this book into a solid one page resume that would be read.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

More Tips on getting hired and promoted by Firehouse Contributing Author Fire “Captain Bob” Articles here:
      http://www.firehouse.com/contact/10544410/bob-smith

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Comment

Wow! You SPAM artists saved the day again!
        PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Comment

Originally posted by IAfire View Post
          I just wanted to throw out there a great company I found
          www.Firefighter-resumes.com
          really competent people! Well worth the price.
          Firefighter-resumes.com (IAfire) is crap crap, You were the first company I called and you did not return my phone call until Tuesday the following week. Then you quoted me $30 over the price your web lists.

I would stay away from this company, they scream scam. There are other writing companies out there, do your homework prior to selecting one. I found a resume writer that is a BC on a fire department and teaches professional development at a University. He knew what questions to ask me and everything turned out great.

e-mail me and I will send you my final draft.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X