X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• martinez24
    replied
    Hey SmokeyNY

The test runs like this: You have the Stairmaster for 5minutes with the weighted vest and airtank. After you complete that you have a 5 minute break. You cannot take the tank or vest off, it's just to give you a bit of a breather.

Then you do the next6 events one right after another, and the time between the events is something like 15 seconds. After the 7th event, you get another 5 minute break before the ceiling hook push/pull event.

I cannot remember the exact sequence of everything, but check out http://nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/commun..._program.shtml

That gives a pretty exact listing of everything.

I'm not sure about how long it takes to establish the list and all. Information hasn't been coming out at a quick rate...

Muttly -- Glad to hear you aced the physical.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• SmokeyNY
    replied
    Thanks, but I have a few more.
    How does the physical test run? I thought that the events were continuous, but martinez24 made it sound as if there is a stop in between events.
    How often are the exams given? I thought I read somewhere that it was on a 3 year cycle, but that could have been a different department.
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Muttly92094
    replied
    Oh sorry by the way if for some reason you dont pass a certain part of the medical you have to wait 30 days but you can redo that particular part.

Leave a comment:

• Muttly92094
    replied
    It takes about 1 - 2 years to establish the hiring list. As for the medical you have to do a breathing,sight,hearing,electrocardio gram,drug, TB, and also pass the stairmaster w/o the pack just the weighted vest.The sight test was easy. Like to one you took in high schol! the stairmaster is the same as the last one only this time you have to be within your target heart rate. I think the formula was 220 minus your age divided by your weight. Im not 100% sure about that one. I was 25 when I took it and my heart rate had to be 179. My adivce - go buy a weight vest and walk on a stairmaster, or go outside(weather permitting) w/ it on. GOOD LUCK

Leave a comment:

• SmokeyNY
    replied
    I have a few questions:
    1. If you take the physical now and pass, you don't get hired for another two years right?
    2 What else is in the medical exam? Specifically eye sight, what do you need to do to pass the color acuity, and do you automatically fail if you do not pass? (Hope you understand what I am asking).
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Muttly92094
    replied
    Hi ALL!. I just took my physical I got 100 too and I didnt get a packet. I did on the last one but I guess they changed the test a little. I didnt have to take a drug test this time either. I guess the city is in a hurry to establish this list... Good Luck!

Leave a comment:

• tshannon344
    replied
    Jim, thanks for the reply, glad to know noone else has seen this packet. Thanks for the info on the official results also. Goodluck and stay safe. Thanks again.
    Sincerely,
    Trevor Shannon

Leave a comment:

• martinez24
    replied
    Hey tshannon

Congrats on passing the test. You still sore? I was so stunned by how intense it was that it actually took me a couple of days to actually WANT to have a beer.

Anyway -- I don't know what this packet is that everyone's talking about. I went the third week of August -- didn't see anyone with a packet, and I didn't see anyone leaving with one. Did anyone say to you what it was, or did you see anyone get one?

By the way, from what I understand from DCAS (I called) it will take 6 to 8 weeks to get the official test results.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• tshannon344
    replied
    Hey there folks, I just took the physical today, and like another member said, I saw the packet and passed all 8 events, but didn't get a packet. Anybody know any further information on this detail. Thanks everyone and good luck.

Leave a comment:

• martinez24
    replied
    Muttly92094

So how'd it go??? Hope things went well for you.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Muttly92094
    replied
    Oh yeah sorry the next step is to take a medical exam, EKG, blood test, hearing, sight, and you also have to do 5 mins on the damn stairmaster again without the weight vest and then ANOTHER 5 mins with the vest. So find out what your target heartrate is because if you go above the heart rate you fail the exam and have to wait 30 days to take it again. You only get 2 chances. To find out what your target heart rate is its : 220 minus your age. I took my medical in june and alot of guys that were there were failing because of the heart rate. after that you take the written physcolgical and then the oral physc,have an interview with your investigator, and then you wont hear anything for weeks or months just when you get worried that you didnt pass something you'll get a letter in the mail saying when your getting sworn in...... GOOD LUCK!

Leave a comment:

• Muttly92094
    replied
    When I took the physical for the last exam, you got a packet with alot information for the investigation, such as tickets, past history stuff like that. They only gave it to people who passed all 8 stations. Maybe they don't do it anymore. Its the city so im sure thigns change bi-weekly (haha). As far as hearing anything, you wont get a list number until they finish all the physicals for the top scores of the list but they seem to be pushing this list pretty quick so maybe it wont be too long. Anyway I hope this helps you out a little bit. Congrats on passing the test.

Leave a comment:

• ATRAINX
    replied
    Packet?

Like I said in the above post I feel that I aced the physical but did recieve anything. Actually out of everyone else there I didnt see anyone with a packet or any packets lying around?

Leave a comment:

• ATRAINX
    replied
    Just took physical

I scored a 100 on the written back in December and just took the physical on 8-16. Was wondering how long till I hear something back or what the next step is. I had no problems with the test and felt that I smoked it. Any info would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Muttly92094
    replied
    Hey thats great im sure you did fine. Yeah the instructors are always like that they just kind of mill around talking and dont pay too much attention to what your doing. They wont be able to tell you much about when the list will be established the web site says sometime in the end of nov.2004 - or early 2005. Talk to ya soon.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X