Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips to get me hired

Im 16 and i volunteer at a all career station my dad used to work at
    he's worked in the county for 26 years, and is now a fire marshall, but im trying to get hired myself.
    I wanna get on the right path, im taking the cadet program during my junior year in high school next year, and then my senior year i have a interenship at the career station i volunterr at for my senior year, what else can i do to help myself get hired

Well you are young and have plenty of time to prepare, but I would still suggest working on those interview skills. All the certification and expereince in the world will not save a bad interview / oral board.

Check out the advice given by Capt. Bob Smith at www.eatstress.com

Do what he says, stay on the career / study path you've outline so far and you should be golden.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Comment

From what I have heard locally about internship programs, people either get job offers or are shown the door, which both work well in the hiring process! It would seem you're going the right route in terms of activity in the fire service, and the best thing I could advise is to keep your nose clean, don't do things you're not supposed to do (use emergency lights to impress friends, go to the firehouse drunk, etc). A really big thing, though, is to keep up with your regular school. We all want to be involved with this stuff, and we have the chance AFTER the important things are done. I was way too guilty of blowing off classes because I wanted to go to work. I did well in school, but I could have done even better. The fire service will be that much better off to get someone who has given his/her best in school and brings incredible knowledge to work. And as for education, be thinking about college pretty soon. If you want to do this as a career (and there is no shame in deciding against it either), look into degree programs that community colleges & 4-year colleges in your area might offer, both fire science & paramedic if that interests you. It never hurts to call admissions, be in touch with the advisors for those programs like to see in high school classes. For paramedic (& EMT class too), A&P in high school gives a great understanding of how the body works. High school Chemistry is something you'll need, as an example, but people can tell you these things better than I. Good luck!

~Kevin
      FF/Paramedic
      ~Kevin
      Firefighter/Paramedic
      --^v--^v--^v--^v--
      Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
      Dennis Miller

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse