Cal Fire Recruitment/Testing for Fire Captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal Fire Recruitment/Testing for Fire Captain

I’m considering relocating to a new area of the State of CA. One way that would possible is seeking employment with the State from a City department. I’m an establish Fire Captain/Paramedic now but would consider State employment if it met our family needs. Many municipal agencies avoid recruiting Company Officers from the outside and typically have a “work your way through the ranks” model. However, CalFire seems to post recruitments for these positions every now and again. With that being said, I’m looking for insight to the process.
    Things like:
    1. Will the State make any attempt to match salary, vacation accrual (time on)?
    2. Do certain units have different requirements or only hire from within?
    3. How is the Pers for people coming in from the outside that already have Pers?
    4. 457 plan?
    5. What is a State probation like? Back Buster or Don’t get anyone killed?
    6. How’s training? Is it different from contract cities vs. a weed truck in the middle of the forest ?

any insight will help.
    ty
    Last edited by Lost_Dawg; 07-01-2021, 11:46 AM.

Hey bud,
    I have been a Captain for Cal Fire for a bit and am happy to chat with you if you want.

Comment

Thanks, I’ll PM you.

Comment

There is Schedule A and Schedule B and you have Camp Captains as well. 3 days on 4 days off schedule, you will get forced a lot depending on your unit, we have 21 different units in Cal Fire so that means there are 21 different ways to do things.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...
        X