When it rains it pours..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it rains it pours..

I worked so hard to get where I am today and I finally got hired at a 7 station fire department in southern california. Currently, I am 3 months into probation and I just got an offer from LA County. I always told myself the first place that gave me the opportunity has my loyalty. But when I talk to my mentors (people that have 25+ years on) they all tell me that I need to consider it as this is a great opportunity. A lot of people ask me whether I want a small dept or a large dept - Being so new to the fire service I don't know which I prefer..
    Personally, what are your opinions? I know ultimately it has to be my own decision but looking for different views..

Thanks

Do you have a family?? If so, what is going to be best for them? Personally, i would like to be at a department that is busy and gives me the chance to experience EVERYTHING the fire service has to offer (engine, truck, rescue, etc.). I am 6 months into probation and am moving states for family.. i do not have a job but am hopeful... best of luck with your decision!

Comment

Originally posted by Bryce192 View Post
      I worked so hard to get where I am today and I finally got hired at a 7 station fire department in southern california. Currently, I am 3 months into probation and I just got an offer from LA County. I always told myself the first place that gave me the opportunity has my loyalty. But when I talk to my mentors (people that have 25+ years on) they all tell me that I need to consider it as this is a great opportunity. A lot of people ask me whether I want a small dept or a large dept - Being so new to the fire service I don't know which I prefer..
      Personally, what are your opinions? I know ultimately it has to be my own decision but looking for different views..

Thanks
      Well if your present Dept gets wind you are looking,,,,

You may be out of a job,,,, And no guarantee you will make it to being on shift at laco,,, still have to hit the academy??? Right???

My normal advice,,, give your present Dept two years,,, before looking.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

I would lean on the side of economics. Which offers you and your family the better quality of living now?

Is it a final offer or conditional? Current dept could release you and you may not get the final from laco. If you did it once you could do it again later when you arent on probation and at risk of job loss.

Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks
          Did you get an official offer or a conditional?

Comment

What was your ultimate dream job when you started the process? Which one is closer to that?

You should look at it financially. Pension, salary, benefits, etc are all legitimate factors for you and your family. Loyalty is great but it doesn't pay the bills. Look at overall quality of life. Doubling your salary and doubling your bills is a wash. What about commuting time?

Personally, I like being in a large department. But I've never been in a small one. There are more options in the large departments.

Comment

Originally posted by Jman119 View Post
              Did you get an official offer or a conditional?
              I got a conditional

Comment

Originally posted by KP85 View Post
                Do you have a family?? If so, what is going to be best for them? Personally, i would like to be at a department that is busy and gives me the chance to experience EVERYTHING the fire service has to offer (engine, truck, rescue, etc.). I am 6 months into probation and am moving states for family.. i do not have a job but am hopeful... best of luck with your decision!
                Where are you moving to and from?

Comment

Originally posted by WestTarheel View Post
                  I would lean on the side of economics. Which offers you and your family the better quality of living now?

Is it a final offer or conditional? Current dept could release you and you may not get the final from laco. If you did it once you could do it again later when you arent on probation and at risk of job loss.

Best of luck.
                  I can't see my current dept letting me go.. super understanding.. as of right now I'm planning on staying but following through as it's a conditional

Comment

Where are you moving to and from?
                    I am leaving Bryan, Texas and am moving to Washington (state)

Comment

I got a conditional
                      So they just recently sent out more CJO’s? I heard that some went out last month too. I’m on their list, but never heard anything. La County is a great department! Good luck with everything.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X