Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navy fire department

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Navy fire department

    Looking to see if i can pick someones brain about a navy base fire department, ive had my interview (phone interview due to covid) all my references were called. I was told my information was sent to Norfolk which the rumor ive heard is where the final approval in the hiring process is. Can anyone confirm this or ease my mind on where i stand in this?
    Last edited by ecllemme; 01-25-2021, 05:22 PM.

  • #2
    Former Federal FF. (Navy and Army) If they interviewed you and called your references, you have a very good chance. If you are required to have a high security clearance and they give you the 9,000 page questionaire for your background check to complete, you are pretty much "in" (assuming you dont bomb that.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

    Comment


    • #3
      EX Fed also,

      Just a question

      Are you also pursuing city departments???

      Have you made it on a city department?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

      Comment


      • #4
        I go for every department opening I come across in my area. Been close once before i feel im in a good spot this time also.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ecllemme View Post
          I go for every department opening I come across in my area. Been close once before i feel im in a good spot this time also.
          I know it has been awhile, but the fed system in about four places I worked were not the greatest.

          1. you work for congress, oh boy
          2. I think they are still requiring you to work some type of 72 hour work week schedule,
          It use to be 24 on 24 off, with three days off every other week. I have seen some go to other schedules
          3. I will say I worked air force and navy. The navy seemed to have it together more!! Hated the flight line stand bys though. air force only did it at one base.

          4. If you are at a flying base,,,,, THAT is the mission, kind of structural is second. If you have ships docked hopefully they train on them.

          The feds on some bases were a little behind as far as tactics, hopefully they improved.


          Anyway it can be a foot in the door, give it some time on the job, and you may stay or you may start testing again.

          Good luck
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fire49 View Post

            I know it has been awhile, but the fed system in about four places I worked were not the greatest.

            1. you work for congress, oh boy
            2. I think they are still requiring you to work some type of 72 hour work week schedule,
            It use to be 24 on 24 off, with three days off every other week. I have seen some go to other schedules
            3. I will say I worked air force and navy. The navy seemed to have it together more!! Hated the flight line stand bys though. air force only did it at one base.

            4. If you are at a flying base,,,,, THAT is the mission, kind of structural is second. If you have ships docked hopefully they train on them.

            The feds on some bases were a little behind as far as tactics, hopefully they improved.


            Anyway it can be a foot in the door, give it some time on the job, and you may stay or you may start testing again.

            Good luck
            They are 24 on 24 off kelly day system for now. Rumors of switching to 48s. Its down in Newport RI that im going for. Really just curious of the hiring process. Was told my info was sent to Norfolk VA rumored to be final step in hiring. Wasnt sure if that's true or not or how long i should expect before hearing something. I know patience is key but the anxiety/excitement if possibly getting on somewhere is high lol

            Comment


            • #7
              I have worked three variants of the 24/24
              -Naval Air Warfare Center, Aircraft Division Warminster Pa. (No longer exists, base completely closed and gone....)
              24 on/24 off for 5 shifts, then 3 days off. Do that 3x then the 4th time, you get 5 straight off.

              -Philadelphia Naval Shipyard FD (Now Naval Ship Systems Engineering Station, Carderock Division)
              24 on, 24 off for 5 shifts then 3 days off. Do that 4 times, then you do 24 on 24 off for 14 straight shifts. Then start over.

              -US Army Fire Dept at Aberdeen Proving Ground Md
              (7 group chart) 24 on/24 off for 4 shifts then 2 days off. Do that x4 then the 5th time you work 5 shifts then get 4 days off. The 4 days is always Fr-Sat-Sun-Mon.

              Many Federal facilities have moved to some variant of 48 on/72 off. I understand that some out west with very remote firehouses like Yuma have moved to a 72 on/96 off variant.
              "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ecllemme View Post

                They are 24 on 24 off kelly day system for now. Rumors of switching to 48s. Its down in Newport RI that im going for. Really just curious of the hiring process. Was told my info was sent to Norfolk VA rumored to be final step in hiring. Wasnt sure if that's true or not or how long i should expect before hearing something. I know patience is key but the anxiety/excitement if possibly getting on somewhere is high lol


                Once again you are talking federal government

                They move at their own pace.

                Sometimes it is very quick.

                Hang in
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

                Comment


                • #9
                  Gonna bump this back to the top..

                  Any of yall have any experience with 48/72? I applied to some Navy bases in the PNW that run this schedule. I think it has to be better than the 24/48 ive been running.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Good thing about most military is that very quiet,

                    Now the Navy use to like to do flight line standby, if they still do it, could make for some long shifts.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was just offered a gs-7 position on a marine base, wondering if anyone has any experience with marine corps fire departments and what to expect as far as probation/work schedule/call volume/etc…

                      Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dschmitty View Post
                        I was just offered a gs-7 position on a marine base, wondering if anyone has any experience with marine corps fire departments and what to expect as far as probation/work schedule/call volume/etc…

                        Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!
                        That is all going to change from base to base region to region and branch to branch lol, there is no uniformity in federal fire (from what ive seen). Im on a navy base and work 72 hours per week OOxxxOOxxxOOxx then repeat. My department has 3 batallions, from what ive seen, i work in the "busier" batallion and its not uncommon to not have a call on a 48. I have 3 years of "probation", each year it gets a little harder to be fired, as for probie life in the station, that will depend on you station. There are stations and crews in my department that are known for telling new guys they are looking for reasons to get you fired... which is crap. I was lucky enough to get with a great crew and station . Best advice i could give anyone, is any situation is going to be what you make out of it, go in and work hard and you will get respect.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good info! Do a lot of federal guys make or career out of it or is there a lot of turnover? The base I applied at said they have a 48 on 48 off schedule and typically work 13-15 days a month? Curious how that would work since you’d end up with more than 72 hours per week

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Also are you able to transfer departments within dod? And if so is there a new probationary period with each transfer?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dschmitty View Post
                              Good info! Do a lot of federal guys make or career out of it or is there a lot of turnover? The base I applied at said they have a 48 on 48 off schedule and typically work 13-15 days a month? Curious how that would work since you’d end up with more than 72 hours per week
                              You can transfer to any department of any branch, even before you finish your "3 yerar probation". You will still have to do a bit of a new guy routine when you switch departments, but its not like being a rookie all over and that can also change with how each department treats their "new guys". I got hired with a guy that transfered from fed fire san diego, hes not a probie, but still does the new guy routine.

                              I think JBLM (out of tacoma) does 48/48, personally, that would suck. I was 24/48 at my last department and didnt like it, its like you are always at or getting ready for work, we also didnt have any kelley days. I work 12-14 days a month.

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X