Memphis Fire Lateral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis Fire Lateral

Anyone applying for the lateral positions at Memphis Fire? Busy dept, lots of fires, old firehouses, and truck companies that go to the roof. Downside, you have to go to medic school and ride the ambulance. Starting pay is at 55k something, cost of living is really cheap.

No written test, simple agility, and only one interview, I believe. Then an 8 week academy where your not treated like a recruit.

What’s the retirement like?
    In Loving Memory of Paramedic Doug Odgers
    8.18.87-5.8.11
    RIP

Comment

They took the pension away years ago but the union is fighting to get it back. Currently they have a 401 plan. The following is what the recruiter said about it.

"T"his is how this system is set up. Employee contributes 8% for the rest of their career. The city starts off with 6% and increases every 5 years. 8,10,13,16. At year 20 the employee is maxed out at 16% from the city. This money is invested not through the city but through Mass Mutual. Once the city makes its contribution the city has nothing else to do with the money. Mass Mutual then puts the money into an equation using amount of money in the account through contributions and investment gains, years of service, IRS mortality rate, and current employee salary. That equation will set the percentage drawn from the account for the rest of the retires life." What if I out live the money in the account?". Great question! Mass Mutual will take out insurance on the money to make sure you will get paid that wage for the full retirement. It takes 10 years of service to be vested into this program. This is not a 401K. I hope this helps."

Comment

Im looking into it but I believe they are a 56 hour week.

Comment

24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 4 days off

Comment

For anyone following this thread, I had a my video based interview yesterday. If you plan on putting in, I would do it soon. They are expecting the lateral academy to start in mid to late January. The rest of the process should be in November and background checks in December. There is only one trip to Memphis for the process unless you want to do a ride along.

If you don't put in this time, there should be another process later next year, as they have been doing two classes a year. You do have to become a paramedic within 24 months but it is paid for. You have to do 12 hours on the Unit and 12 hours on the Engine/Truck. They are working towards getting more permanent staffing for the ambulances. So if you wanted to be a fireman your whole career, you wouldn't always be riding the ambulance.

Search on Facebook for Memphis Fire Lateral, for more information on this.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanE15 View Post
              For anyone following this thread, I had a my video based interview yesterday. If you plan on putting in, I would do it soon. They are expecting the lateral academy to start in mid to late January. The rest of the process should be in November and background checks in December. There is only one trip to Memphis for the process unless you want to do a ride along.

If you don't put in this time, there should be another process later next year, as they have been doing two classes a year. You do have to become a paramedic within 24 months but it is paid for. You have to do 12 hours on the Unit and 12 hours on the Engine/Truck. They are working towards getting more permanent staffing for the ambulances. So if you wanted to be a fireman your whole career, you wouldn't always be riding the ambulance.

Search on Facebook for Memphis Fire Lateral, for more information on this.
              I’m going to putting in this week

Comment

Originally posted by Joe88A View Post

I’m going to putting in this week
                awesome brother, good luck!

Comment

Anyone know how long it takes to hear from HR after the interview?

Comment

They took the pension away years ago but the union is fighting to get it back. Currently they have a 401 plan. The following is what the recruiter said about it.

"T"his is how this system is set up. Employee contributes 8% for the rest of their career. The city starts off with 6% and increases every 5 years. 8,10,13,16. At year 20 the employee is maxed out at 16% from the city. This money is invested not through the city but through Mass Mutual. Once the city makes its contribution the city has nothing else to do with the money. Mass Mutual then puts the money into an equation using amount of money in the account through contributions and investment gains, years of service, IRS mortality rate, and current employee salary. That equation will set the percentage drawn from the account for the rest of the retires life." What if I out live the money in the account?". Great question! Mass Mutual will take out insurance on the money to make sure you will get paid that wage for the full retirement. It takes 10 years of service to be vested into this program. This is not a 401K. I hope this helps."
                    Not good, when other retirement systems offer up to 90%. I see the reason to hire laterals. Good luck.

Comment

Have you heard anything yet?

Comment

Not yet. I heard that phone calls are supposed to be going out this week. That will be either a conditional job offer or just the information on when the agility test will be. Rumor is that the academy is going to start on the 1st of February.

Comment

Not yet. I heard that phone calls are supposed to be going out this week. That will be either a conditional job offer or just the information on when the agility test will be. Rumor is that the academy is going to start on the 1st of February.
                          Hey brother where are you coming from?

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Conditional offers went out over the last couple of days, I got mine, what about everyone else?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X